Voluntary Work

Let Love...

 

A meeting was suddenly held at Periwinkle cafe, The employees didn't have any idea of what they were gonna talk about so the manager didn't waste too much time and just said what the meeting was about.
 
"You all know about Myrtle, our sister cafe, right?" the manager started and everyone nodded.
"Well, they're celebrating their one year anniversary next week. And they're planning to have a week long celebration there. It's going to be a busy week and they'll need extra employees from every sister cafe. And obviously, those cafes include ours. So... who wants to volunteer to work there for a week?" the manager looked from left to right.
 
"Myrtle Cafe? Me! I volunteer!" Amber shouted and raised her hand. Min giggled cos she knew exactly why she wanted to work there.
"I'll leave you alone." Min shook her head.
 
"Okay, Liu Amber... Anyone else?" the manager wrote her name on a piece of paper.
"Min..." Amber elbowed Min.
"Ouch. No, thank you." Min said as she rubbed the side of her tummy.
"Come on. I can't be the only one." she looked at Min with her puppy-dog eyes.
"Okay. Just stop that... Count me in." Min raised her hand.
"Okay. Lee MinYoung. Anyone else?...No?" I'll ask if two are enough. Back to your places everyone. I'll inform you two later." the two walked back to the counter together.
 
"Why did you two volunteer?" Hyoyeon asked.
"Cos Amber here--" Min was about to say something but Amber covered .
"Cos I want to experience working some place else." Amber answered with an awkward smile.
"But wouldn't it feel strange. We barely know anyone there... Well, other than Jinki--Oh." Hyoyeon looked at Amber with a mocking stare.
"What?" Amber tried not to have eye contact with her.
"So it IS obvious." Min looked at Hyoyeon.
"Kinda... Okay. I'll start working now. Later, girls!" Hyoyeon walked toward the entrance. Amber just glared at Min then shook her head.
 
The two were told to work at the Myrtle cafe that coming Monday. He also said that they didn't have to worry of coming there cos when they arrive, the manager will already be there. He will also be the one to give them instructions of what they're going to do. The two weren't really worried cos other than Jinki, they knew other people who also worked there so they probably wouldn't feel odd.
 
They still had few days before they start working so they were able to relax. Amber had no plan on telling Jinki about it cos she wanted to surprise him. When Amber arrived home, Jinki wasn't there yet. She didn't worry much and just ordered chicken for the both of them. She heard that it was his favorite. The delivery guy had already brought the chicken but Jinki has still not come yet. She didn't want to eat those friend chickens alone and she wanted that they'd eat them together. The clock twelve and she still didn't touch the food. She couldn't cos she was already worried. It was a school day and Jinki doesn't really come home late on school days. She fell asleep on the sofa waiting for him.
 
Jinki arrived around 1. And the first thing/ person he saw was the sleeping Amber.
 
'Was she waiting for me?' he asked himself with wondering eyes as he stared at her.
 
He went to Amber's room and took her blanket. He put it over her as gently as he could but she was still awakened by his light actions.
 
"You're home." she said as she rubbed her eyes.
"Uh.huh. Why are you sleeping here?2 Jinki asked as he sat on the edge of the couch.
"I was waiting for you to come. I was just worried that you might do what you did before. You know... to keep your mind busy." Jinki laughed and messed her hair.
"What's so funny?" Amber pouted.
"We just had a meeting and we gave the cafe a huge 'make over'. And did you forget my story? That I didn't do that for my ex but for my parents." he was still laughing.
"Oh, right." Amber fixed her hair.
 
"You waited for nothing." Jinki stood up.
"No. I haven't had dinner yet cos I wanted to share the food with you. Heard you like fried chicken." Amber ran to the kitchen and showed him the box of fried chicken.
"You do know it's Thursday... Well, it's already Friday but still, you have morning classes. Jinki had already grabbed a drumstick.
"What are alarm clocks for?" Amber took one as well.
 
"Heard you and Min are working for our cafe's week long celebration." Jinki said covering his mouth as he chewed.
"Oh, no, you found out. It was going to be a surprise." Amber put down her chicken.
"They mentioned your names at the meeting earlier." Jinki giggled.
 
Amber just finished her drumstick then brushed her teeth. Jinki was left in the kitchen with the box of chicken. It was a dream come true for him.
 
Monday came. Myrtle Cafe was full of customers inside and out. There was a small stand for free tasting just in front of the entrance and Min and Amber were in charge there. They bowed to everyone and tried not to be too pushy when they offer their coffee.
 
"You two alright there?" Jinki checked on them.
"This is fun and tiring." Amber answered as she served a customer.
"Oppa, you're on the waiting section right now, right? Let's exchange places." Min didn't let Jinki reply and left the two.
"Weird..." Jinki shook his head and helped Amber without hesitation. Amber felt a little more happy when Jinki became her partner.
 
For the next 3 days, they were partners in crime. If Jinki was one of the waiters, Amber would be one as well, if he's in charge of the counter, Amber would be as well, if he was in the kitchen, Amber would be as well. And Jinki didnt have problem with it. He "kinda2 liked it too. It was Min's plan to get the two together. She wanted Amber to be happy like she's never been and if Jinki was the only way then she'd do everything. And she thought that it wasn't only for Amber, she was also doing it for Jinki cos she thought that it was the time to move on and love again.
 
"I think it's going to rain." Jinki said looking at the grey sky as they gave away some brochures outside the cafe.
"It's going to be alright." Amber just said and didn't really worry much about the weather.
 
And before they knew it, it was raining. Lucky them, it was already closing time when it happened. Everyone was already inside cleaning up the cafe.
 
"You go ahead, Min. I'll wait for Jinki." Amber waved at her friend as she watched her go. Jinki was still talking to the manager. Amber remembered that she didn't bring any umbrella and was only hoping that Jinki brought one with him but when Jinki came out of the manager's office...
 
"You've got no umbrella as well, huh?" Jinki asked her.
 
They stood by the door motionless.
 
"We can make it through." Amber said smirking.
"How?" Jinki raised his eyebrows.
"Oh, you know... Run!" Amber started running that surprised Jinki but only made him run as well.
 
"Isn't this fun?" Amber asked smiling from ear to ear as she ran.
"It won't make us sick, will it?" Jinki was just behind her.
"I'm not sure." Amber said jokingly.
 
Amber turned her head to glanced at Jinki. He glanced back at her but when he saw her face all smiley soaked in the rain, he stopped from running. He felt like the time stopped with him. No, it didn't stop. It only felt like everything was in slow-motion. The way she glanced and smiled at him seemed like it's in slow-mo. Then he felt his heart acting up with it's irregular beating. 'This isn't happening.' he told himself as he slowly shook his head.
 
"Oppa, hurry up!" Amber called him.
"We're close!" she stopped running and waited for him.
"I'm.... I'm coming." he ran toward her.
 
Soon, they were in their apartment's bathroom drying their hair with towels.
 
"That was fun." Amber giggled as she leaned on the wall
"If I get sick, I blame you." Jinki joked after hanging the towel. He came out of the bathroom then sneezed.
"No way. I've got cold." he went back to the bathroom and searched for a medicine.
"You're really sick?" Amber was still inside.
"Just a little cold. I'm sure it'll be gone tomorrow." Jinki smiled then sneezed again. Amber felt a little guilty. It was her idea to run through the rain. And then, Jinki was really sick.
 
Jinki went to his room and wrapped himself with his blanket. Amber was in the bathroom organizing some messy stuffs by the mirror. When she got out, she heard Jinki coughing. It made her worry. So she knocked on his door to check on him.
 
"You okay?" she asked as she entered his room.
"I feel cold." he mumbled.
 
She went closer and kneeled. She touched his forehead but as soon as she felt it, she pulled her hand away.
 
"You're burning." it made her worry even more.
"I'll just get--" she stood up but Jinki stopped her.
"Stay. Don't leave me... please." he uttered with his weak voice.
"Okay. I'll stay." she sat on the edge of his bed and fixed his blanket. Jinki suddenly held her hand.
"Amber... please... don't go." he kept mumbling as he held onto her hand tighter. She didn't know what to do. She just sat there and watched him sleep with their hands intertwined.
"You're right. I'm the one to blame." she said to herself as she ruffled his hair with her other hand.
 
Amber's eyes were slowly closing and her body slowly fell on Jinki's bed. Before she knew it, she had already fallen asleep next to him.
 
..............................
 
How's everyone doing?
Everyone loving Amber and her pony tail? She's so cute... like Donghae. haha
:)
xdorkyx
x