5 Years later...

Change of Heart

**** Reference to chapter 40. If you haven't read that chapter yet, read it HERE ****

*** Flashback is written in italics ***

Nobody's POV

It's been almost 5 years since Mel's last departure from Seoul, South Korea. It's also been quite some time since Kae's tragic situation. Conflicts arised ever since he decided to appear in Kae's life again. You must be curious as to who that he is. He is Kae's ex-boyfriend. He pained Kae right through the heart, like an arrow and its target. Once you hit the heart, it stays like that for some time - severely wounded. Kae's been recovering since their coldhearted break up. Her past and pain healed itself ever since she's met Taeyang and Jiyong who cheered up her life - they were the stars that lit up her path. But since that day and that call, her life turned upside down - for better or worse. Better because she can get her revenge, worse because her memories are slowly unraveling itself.

Just when Kae thought she would be free from her misery, she dreamt on too quick. Here's a quick flashback of what happened exactly 5 years ago when Kae arrived back to America.

"Kae!" a voice that Kae has recognized from many years ago, shouted out of the hundred of people within the surrounding. She ignored the voice and continued walking out towards the exit of the airport. The trolly on her luggage was the only noise she heard, along with the crowd of people.

"Kae!" he shouted once again. He scurried his way until he caught up with Kae's quick pace. She wanted to avoid him at all cost, hoping he wouldn't cause her any more damage than whats already been done.

"Kae, why were you ignoring me?" Luckily, Kae had her shades to cover her eyes. Her hair was stylished in a Korean fashion. If people didn't look close enough, they would have thought she was a Korean model. She wore denim shorts along with a blue off-the-shoulder shirt on a quite hot summer day. It was the perfect weather in Kae's opinions. She even checked the weather forecast for America, online.

"Mister, I think you've got the wrong person." Kae said, imitating a rich lady's classical voice. Of course, she was somewhat rich herself. That's another story to be told.

Too bad the trick didn't work on him. "Kae, I know it's you." he attempted to take off her shades, but she slapped his hand away.

"Get away from me, you ert. Don't act as if you know me." Kae vented.

"But you're obviously Kae. Why are you ignoring my calls, my texts, and my messages? Do you ever check your inbox? You used to always reply when I message you."

"So what if I'm Kae or Mae or even Jae? Why does it mattter to you? Look here, all thats happened was all in the past. I used to always reply to your messages, but not anymore. There's no reason for why you're clinging onto me. Now don't bother me anymore or I'll seriously call the police on you."

"Kae!" Kae turned around and saw Niel waving at her, a bright smile lit on his face.

"Niel!" Kae shrugged the guy's hands off of her shoulders and fast walked straight to Niel. She hugged him as a greeting and truly, because she missed him during her two weeks stay in Seoul.

"I'm sorry I arrived late." Niel apologized, hugging Kae back in return. He missed her more than she could ever imagine.

"It's okay. I just got off the plane and currently having some jet lag. Can we go home now?"

"Arasso. Here, let me take your luggages and we'll head to the car. But first, do you want to say goodbye to that friend of yours?" Niel looked past Kae's shoulders, his glance focused on the guy from earlier.

"Him? I don't know him. He probably mistaken me for someone else." The guy walked up to Kae and Niel.

"Hi there," he said, "I'm Jason, Kae's ex-boyfriend. You must be Kae's boyfriend." he attempted to shake hands with Niel but Niel only gave him an eye brow in response.

"Niel, let's just go home. I'm tired." Kae turned around, grabbing her purse that was sitting on top of her luggage.

"Arasso." Niel said as he put an arm around Kae's shoulder. Kae didn't flinch or felt uncomfortable. She just wanted to leave the place quicker than quick - immediately.

Jason stood there, dumbfounded.

When Kae and Niel arrived at Niel's car, he opened the door for Kae and she quickly got in. He carried her luggages and placed them in the trunk. When he was done, he went to the driver's seat and sat down beside Kae.

"Was that the guy who almost-" Niel spoke, but was unfortunately interrupted before he could finish his question.

"Don't remind me. I thought he wouldn't annoy me. That traitor."

"You know, you never really explained to me what happened."

"Let's just go home. I don't want to talk about it." Kae said, her elbows structured on the window ledge. Her eyes were staring at other cars in the parking lot and people walking towards their car.

Niel kept quiet the entire ride home. His heart was aching as he saw tears forming in Kae's eyes every time he stopped at a red light.
 He took a tissue from the tissue box and handed Kae the tissue, so she would wipe away her tears. When they arrived at Kae's front yard, she stormed out of the car and into the house. She did not even say 'I'm back!~' to her mother and father, like she always do.

"Kae, honey, what's wrong?" Her mother questioned with a concered look. Kae did not reply and headed straight into her bedroom. She would usually shower after coming back from a trip. But this time, Kae locked herself in her room and fell into a deep slumber.

"Hello auntie," Niel greeted. He was carrying Kae's purse on one arm and her luggages on the other arm.

"Oh Niel, what happened to our Kae?" Niel hesitated to reply. Does Kae's parents know about her ex-boyfriend returning?

"I don't know if I should say this or not but..."

"It's okay. I won't be mad at you." Niel looked up at the stairs that eventually lead to Kae's room. Her room was located at the centre of the staircase.

"Well," he took a deep breath before explaining. "This guy named Jason-"

"Oh no. Not him again." Kae's mother sighed.

"You know him?"

"Of course. He used to visit Kae and bring her out on dates. They were very close, of course, being in a relationship allows you to understand more of one another. But I can't believe what he did to our Kae." Niel was still confused. What happened between Kae and Jason to result in something so bitter, like medicine that can't be mixed together or else it will end up as crap.

"What happened to them?" Niel asked. Kae's mother stared at him.

"You mean, Kae never told you? I mean, other than Mel, you're her most trusted best friend who is very loyal to her." Niel shook his head.

"Come, sit down and have some tea. Why don't I tell you what happened between the love bird?" Kae's mother went into the kitchen and brought out some Jasmine tea. She began the entire story from what she knows about them two.

"That bastard-" Niel stood up, frustrated. After hearing the story, he could not believe what he just heard. 'That ing douche. ing son of a gun. He doesn't deserve Kae. He doesn't deserve any girls like Kae!' Niel thought.

"Calm down, young boy." Kae's other told Niel to sit back down and drink more tea to sooth his temper back to normal.

"How come she never mentioned any of this to me? She knows I'm always there for her."

"I'm pretty sure she has her own reasons. But please, can you do me a favour?"

"Sure."

"Can you please wake Kae up and tell her to shower then come down to eat. I'm sure she's hungry by this time. It's been nearly an hour since she came back from her trip."

"No problem." Niel accepted and smiled. He walked up the stairs and took two large steps until he stood in front of Kae's bedroom door. He knocked on the door, hoping to receive a response from Kae.

"Kae?" He knocked once. Twice. Three times.

"Kae? I'm coming in." He said and twisted on the door knob, opening the door to reveal a sleeping Kae. She was covered by a blanket and whimpers could be heard.

"Go away." she muffled under the sheets.

"Kae," Niel felt his heart torn into pieces. "You can't be like this. Where is the Kae that I know? She's the cheerful and violent Kae. Where did she go?" Kae didn't respond. She kept quiet and continued doing so.

Niel walked over to the edge of her bed and sat down. "Kae, you know I'm always here for you." He the back of her head. Kae's sniffles and whimpers were louder when closer. Kae continued keeping quiet.

"You're not alone in this. I'll always be there for you. Remember that." Kae slowly sat up from her sleeping position.

"Niel..." she whispered and then leaned forward, hugging Niel. She tightened her grip around his neck and he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Shhhh. Don't cry." he her hair and soothed her back. Kae was hiccuping now.

"Let's go down and get some food, arasso?" Kae released herself from Niel and nodded. He got up and held his hand out. Kae wiped away her tears and accepted his hand filled with warmth.

"Kaja, you need to eat in order to grow. You shorty." Niel teased. Kae sniffed some more and lightly smacked Niel on his shoulder.

"Yah! I'm not that short! Consider yourself a shorty because you're only a couple inches taller than me!" Niel giggled.

"Welcome back, Kae. I missed you." He said.

Days went by and Kae forgot about what happened at the airport. One day, she was walking on the streets with Niel when she suddenly bumped into someone.

"Ah, sor-" When Kae looked up, her gaze was focused on the man's eyes.

"Move aside." she commanded but the man did not move an inch. "Did I not tell you to move?" Kae repeated with a hint of anger.

"Kae, I just want you to know that I still miss and care for you."

"Riight. Whatever you say, traitor." Kae rolled her eyes and turned her head a different direction.

"Jason, honey!" Kae recognized the owner of the voice without having to turn her head back and stare.

"Oh my gosh! Kae, is that you?" The girl walked in front of Kae. "It is you, Kae! How have you been doing? It's been so long since we last saw each other. Oh this must be your boyfriend. You sure have great tastes." Niel stood there confused yet on the same page. He stared at the female. 'This must be that Kayla who took advantage of her friendship with Kae.' he assumed.

Kae finally turned around and faced Kayla and Jason who were now standing beside each other. Followed by the couple was a small and quiet boy, holding onto Jason's hand. She glanced at the small figure.

"He must be your child." Kae said, her voice did not portray anger nor did it give off the sense that she wants to start war.

"Oh no, you've got it all wrong. Jacky is my nephew and we're bringing him out to play." Kayla explained.

"Hi little fella, I'm Kae.' Kae crouched down to the little fellows height and ruffled his hair. Jacky giggled and smiled at Kae. "How old are you?"

"I'm 5!" he said, popping his five fingers out in front of Kae. Kae laughed at his cuteness.

'Awe she is as sweet as before. She's so caring and gentle.' Jason thought, his eyes locked on Kae.

'I wonder if Kae likes kids...' Niel examined, asking a rhetorical question.

Kae smiled at Jacky as she got back up. "We better go." she said and was ready to turn around. Her hand was intertwined with Niel's, which startled Jason. 'So they are dating.' he thought, disappointed at what was in front of him. 'How will I get her back?'

"Wait!" Kayla shouted. Kae and Niel turned back. 'Do you want to hang out with us? It's been a while."

Niel glanced at Kae, observing her reaction. She seemed uncomfortable since she held onto Niel's hands even tighter.

"You don't have to agree." Niel whispered into her ear. She looked up at Niel. Her eyes were filled with pure sadness.

"It's okay. We have things to do." Kae said, anxiety in her voice.

"Oh. Okay then."

"Bye bye pretty noona!" Jacky waved. Kae smiled at the young boy and waved back, mouthing a 'goodbye' that was directed to Jacky.

When Kae and Niel stopped by the park near Niel's house, they went on the swings.

"Kae," he started. "Do you still remember my confession before you went to Seoul?" She slowly stopped winging her legs and calmed the swing down until her feet were touching the sand/ground. She nodded her head.

"Can you please give me your answer?" She hesistated for a while, but then opened to speak.

"Y-yes." she finally spoke. Niel jumped off the swing and went to hug Kae. She was happy and he was satisfied with the result. But bliss did not occur for long.

"Kae." The couple stopped hugging each other and faced the direction where the owner of the voice was standing.

"Jason..." They both whispered.