An Eye For An Eye

Forbidden Love

 

"Minhe stop!" Kris yells. He limps to stand in front of his dad, getting in her way.

"Move Kris, before I shoot you too," she snaps. 

"I'm not gonna let you kill my dad, no matter how badly he treats me. He's my family. So if you're going to shoot him, your gonna have to take me down too."

"Kris! This isn't the time for your childish games. Get out of my way!" she screams. She's scared. Not because Kris is defending his dad, but because she's actually considering taking him down along with Wu. How can she possibly think like that? About the boy she loves?

"You wouldn't shoot your lover, would you Ms. Lee?" Wu taunts.  Kris looks her in the eye, pleading for her to lower the gun. But she can't. And she won't. Even if it costs her her life, she will get revenge for her father.

"Mr. Wu, I think you might've gotten some things confused. The Minhe who is in love with Kris is a normal high school girl. The Minhe standing before you is the leader of a group who is working against you. This Minhe doesn't even know about Kris' existence."

Mr. Wu stares at her and blinks. "Then are you saying this doesn't affect you?" He ruthlessly grabs Kris by the hair and throws him to the ground. Her heart twists in pain as she hears him let out a strangled groan.

*He's gone!* She uses this opportunity to aim and pull the trigger. Mr. Wu lets out a blood-curling scream as the bullet lands in his leg. "YOU CONNIVING LITTLE !" he hisses. "GET HER."

His men run out from behind him and begin to blindly shoot at her. She immediately runs for cover behind a couple of boxes. She looks out every now and then and shoots fire at whoever she can aim at. It's then she suddenly remembers that Kris is still out there. She carefully peeps out and spots him crawling to safety.

She takes a deep breath and jumps out from behind the boxes and runs to Kris as quickly as she can. When she almost reaches him, someone pulls her back, knocking her to the ground. She lets out a gasp as the person kicks her stomach, knocking all the air out of her lungs. 
A second kick follows suit, but she rolls away before it can hit her. She forces herself onto her feet and punches the man in the jaw, knocking him out.

She jumps over him and continues to Kris. "Kris!" she calls. She quickly helps him hide behind a truck and sits him up. "Are you okay?" she asks as tears fill her eyes.

"Did you... Did you really mean... what you said back there?" His breaths are short and sound painful. 

"That's not the problem right now! We need to get you to a hospital!"

"J-Just answer me, Minhe."  He looks at her with half-open eyes. "Did you mean it?"

She furiously shakes her head and takes his hand in hers. "No. I just... I just needed your dad to move you away. I'm sorry if I hurt you. I didn't mean any of it. I love you through and through Kris. I really do."

He cracks a smile and wipes away a stray tear with his thumb. "That's good... I thought you hated me... Because o-of what my dad did. I love you more than you can imagine, Minhe."

She wipes her tears away and gives him a loving kiss. When she pulls away she gives his hand a tight squeeze and pulls her phone out. "I'm gonna call the hospital for you okay? We need to get you fixed up."

Kris nods and closes his eyes. "It hurts," he chuckles bitterly.

"J-Just hold on a bit. They'll be here soon. Stay here okay?" She plants a soft kiss on his forehead and tries to move away but he holds her back. "Kris. Let go. I need to go help."

He weakly shakes his head. "No. Please.. Stay with me."

"I'm sorry. I'll be back soon. I promise." She pulls out of his grasp and runs to help her people fight against the enemy. *Kris, all you need to do is stay hidden and safe. I'll take care of the rest.*

 

 

"How are you feeling?" she asks Kris as he wakes up. He looks around the room then turns to her. "Where am I?"

"The hospital. Everyone ran away after they heard police sirens. You knocked out," she informs him. "Thankfully, all you had were a few cuts and bruises. Nothing too serious."

Kris smiles a little and nods. "That's good. When can I get out of here?"

"The doctor said as soon as today. But... are you going home afterwards?" He sighs and stares straight ahead. "I guess so. I need to face my dad sooner or later. If he was nice enough to only give me minor injuries, I'm sure he'll forgive me for being useless," he says bitterly.

She laces her fingers through his and bites her lip. "You can stay with me if you want," she offers. "My people will offer you protection since you haven't contributed to Wu's evil deeds."

She half hopes he will accept, but she knows better. "I can't just leave my dad like that. I-I don't know why, but I can't. So I'm gonna go back to him. I need to see how he's doing after you shot him."

*Right. I did that. But that's nothing compared to how my dad is fairing right now..* she thinks with resentment. "Kris, I'm gonna go visit my dad. I'll be back later when they discharge you okay?" He nods and she gives him a light kiss. "Bye."

 

 

"Daddy, how have you been? I just came back from visting Kris. H-He's the one who introduced himself as Alex, remember him? I have something to confess. I was dating Wu's son behind your back. I'm sorry for not telling you, but I really love him and I thought you wouldn't let me be with him. I was scared, and so was he so we lied to you. If I knew you would end up like this I wouldn't have done any of that," she cries. 

She lifts his hand to her forehead and lets her tears fall onto the blanket. "Daddy, please wake up. I don't want to be the leader. I don't want to fight anymore. I can't. I just want to be a normal girl with a normal relationship with Kris. I need you to wake up now, daddy. It's hard without you."

Her heart breaks when he doesn't respond. She lets out a quiet sob and sinks to the ground. Her head snaps up when she suddenly hears the rapid beeping of a machine. *The heart monitor!* She frantically runs outside to call for a doctor. Something is wrong. Very, very wrong.

 

 

She doesn't go back to Kris later. Instead, she sits at home by herself, staring into the pitch black. The rain taps against the window pane, as if the sky is crying on her behalf.

Today, she lost everything. Her dad is gone; the doctors couldn't save him. She feels as if someone has ripped out her heart and taken away her ability to feel. She feels numb and empty. She feels
 no sadness, no happiness, no anger, no nothing. She doesn't know what to do anymore. Is this how she'll have to live for the rest of her life? Empty and alone?