A Break... Or Not

Forbidden Love

 

She holds tightly onto her dad's hand as L.Joe stands over her. "Daddy, it's me, Minhe. Can you hear me? You probably can't, huh? Can you wake up soon, daddy? You've been asleep for too long. It's killing me." Tears begin to fill her eyes as her dad's eyes stay closed.

"Minhe, we should go. Staying here too long won't make him wake up," L.Joe says. He helps her up and takes her outside. "Maybe it would be better if you didn't come too often--"


"He's my dad! Of course I have to be there for him! How could you say that?" she snaps. She quickly realizes her mistake and apologizes. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you like that."

L.Joe shakes his head. "It's okay. I understand the situation you're in. Something like this isn't going to faze me," he smiles.

She returns the favor and smiles up at him. "Thank you."

He pulls up in front of her house and turns to her. "Listen, my family has a villa in the countryside that we go to in the summer. If you want you can go stay there for a few days. Relax, and just get away from everything. If you want, I'll go with you."

She bites her lip. Of course she wants to stay. She doesn't want to leave her dad alone. But she also feels like she needs this break. It's an opportunity she can't miss. "Okay. That sounds nice."

"Cool. Then we'll leave tomorrow after school. My parents will help excuse you from school. I'm sure the department will understand."

She nods and gets out of the car. "Thank you for everything, oppa. I'll see you tomorrow." She closes the door and waves until she can't see him anymore. She turns to walk into her house when she sees a man waiting in front of her doorstep.


"Ms. Lee. My name is Shiwook Kim, a co-worker of your father."

She slightly bows to him, "Hello."

"I heard about your father. I'm very sorry to hear that he's in that condition."

"Why are you here?" she whispers. His apology sounds strangely insincere.

"I'm here to discuss with you matters about your father's occupation. May I come inside?" She warily nods and opens the door for him. After he steps inside, she follows behind and closes the door.

"Would you like something to drink?" she asks out of courtesy. Mr. Kim shakes his head and sits down on the couch. "Please have a seat." She sits across from him in the armchair and stares at him. *What does he want from me?* "Your father's boss is aware of your great fighting skills. Since your father is in no position to continue his work, we were wondering if you, as Mr. Lee's daughter, would like to take over."

"A-Are you serious? I'm 17," she states.

"Yes. And?"

"I... You want me to be the leader of a democratic gang?"

He nods. "What makes you think I'll be able to handle it? What if I screw up and everyone dies because of me?"


"Well, we'll just have to make sure that doesn't happen, don't you agree Ms. Lee?"

"I..." She stares down at her hands. "I'll think about it."

He slides a small business card across the coffee table to her. "My information is on this card. Please contact me as soon as possible. There is no time to waste. The Wu's must be stopped." He stands and bows to her before leaving the house.

With shaky fingers, she picks up her phone and dials L.Joe's number. "Oppa? I'm sorry but can you come back? I need you right now."

 

 

"They what?!"

"They asked me to take over in place of my dad," she whispers.

"Are you serious? That's so dangerous! Are they actually going to put a 17-year-old girl in the face of danger without a second thought? What if the same thing happens to you? What if you get shot an-and y-you go into a coma... Or even worse..." L.Joe sinks onto the couch and buries his face in his hands.

"I.. I think I'm going to accept, L.Joe."

He looks up at her with wide eyes. "What?"

"I said I think I'm going to accept. I'm going to take over."

"Are you crazy? Why would you risk your life like that? Do you think your dad would want you to do this?"

"No. But I have to. This is the only shot I have at getting revenge. I need to avenge my dad no matter what it takes." She clenches her fists as an unknown heaviness weighs down her heart. *I'm going to shoot Kris's dad.. Am I really? Can I?*

L.Joe sighs. "I can't talk you out of this can I?"

She shakes her head and gives him a small smile. "No, you can't."

"If you were going to accept, why did you call me?"

"I needed someone to confide in. And the first person I thought of was you."

"So... No villa?"

She shakes her head and lets out a soft laugh. "No. Sorry oppa. I'm sure you were looking forward to skipping school."

L.Joe leans back and sighs. "Well, what can we do? Once you make up your mind, it's hard to change it. And besides, we can always just go next time."