In Need of the Truth

Forbidden Love

 

She wakes up to the quiet buzzing of the TV. Minhe's eyes flutter open to find herself in a familiar bedroom. *Kris!* She jolts out of bed and dashes out the door. She follows the sound of the TV and finds Kris sitting on the couch, lazily surfing channels. "Kris!" Minhe screams. His hand flies to his heart as he turns around with a frenzied look. "Jesus Christ, Minhe. What the hell was that for?" *Kris didn't leave. It wasn't a dream. He's actually here.* Her heart swells up at the sight of him. She runs over to him and engulfs him in a giant bear hug. Taken aback, Kris awkwardly sits still as he tries to comprehend the situation.

"M-Minhe."


"Thank you for not leaving me. Thank you, thank you, thank you," she whispers sincerely. She continues to hold him with such earnest, as though he might disappear if she lets go. When she does finally pull away, she looks at him with a serious expression. "Why weren't you in school today?"

Kris just shrugs. "Just 'cause." *I was trying to avoid you... So much for that.*

She sits down next to him. 
*Now I seem desperate and crazy for overreacting.* She blows a raspberry as they sit in silence. Then she remembers. "Are you really one of the Wu's?" she asks catiously. Kris freezes and clenches his jaw. That one question creates an extremely tense atmosphere. He shoots up, making her jump a little. He grabs her tightly by the wrist and forcely pulls her up, making her wince at the pain. He drags her over to the front door, unlocks it, and pushes her out.

"Go home Minhe." Then he shuts the door.

She caresses her aching wrist in confusion. Why did he act so coldly? All she asked was a simple yes or no question. Why was he overreacting like that? She stands in front of his door, wondering whether or not she should bang on it and demand an answer. After seeing how he acted, thought, she decides to go home for today. She'll see him in school tomorrow. Or at least she hopes she will.

She checks her watch. 3:42 PM. 
*Daddy's going to kill me for cutting school......* A soft sigh escapes her lips as she turns around to go home. She takes one last glance at the door and then heads home.

 

 

"Daddy?" she calls as she enters her house. She hears the clanging of pots and the sound of running water from the kitchen.

"In here!" he answers.

She chuckles and quickly makes her way over to the kitchen to greet him. 
"Hi daddy," she says as she gives him a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi, sweetheart. How was school?" he asks. He doesn't look at her since he's busy preparing... something. She can't tell what it is.

Minhe fiddles with her fingers as she continues to stare at the unidentifiable dish her dad is preparing. "School was...school."


"I guess that's normal. How's your relationship with L.Joe going? I haven't seen him for a while. Invite him over to dinner someday. I kinda miss having another man around the house."

She gulps. She completely forgot to tell her dad about that. "Uh.. well, you see... L.Joe and I we.. kinda.. you know.. separated," she mumbles.

"What's that?" he questions. "I can't hear you Minhe. I'm old remember?" he chuckles.

She lets out a fake cough as she slowly backs out of the kitchen. "We-We kinda.. broke up." She sprints up the stairs into her room as soon as she finishes her sentence. She collapses onto her bed and closes her eyes. *Glad at least something was revealed today..* she glumly thinks. Her mind wanders to Kris' cold attitude towards her. She knows he a Wu; there was no other explanation as to why Kris would be at the fight. And if she really thinks hard, he kind of resembles his father. Minhe knew, but she just wanted to hear it from Kris' mouth. She wanted him to tell her that he was a Wu. She wanted him to be able to trust her and tell her about his family. But she has a feeling that that won't happen for a long time.

And it breaks her heart.