Chapter 20: Despair

The Chaser

Jehyun POV:

I can't believe I kissed him. Just like that. Out of the blue. *Blush*

"What are you blushing about now?"

Eh? Waaaaaa~. "N… Nothing." Damn it, I stuttered.

"O~h? Really?"

"Y… YEAH! Now stop questioning me!!!" I said and started walking away in embarrassment.

"Jehyun, don't get upset. I was just teasin-" He stopped short.

I looked at him, to see his smile fading, his eyes turning worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I have this bad feeling. It's so strong this time. It never is this strong unless…" He trailed off.

"What? Unless what, Sungyeol?" I asked with a bit of panic in my voice.

"Unless Donghae's involved. I think one of the guys is in danger." He said in a hollow voice.

"Oh, God! What are you gonna do?"

He took out his cell phone. "Call Sunggyu. Thank God for modern technology!"

I only heard one side of the conversation, but it seems that everyone is safe at home. Except for L and Yena. God, let them be ok.

"Damn it. I'm going to go look for them. I'll get you home first." Sungyeol said.

"I'll come with you! Maybe I can help."

"Well, it would save time, but-"

"No buts! I'm coming!" I said stubbornly.

"Fine."

And we started walking around, looking for them. Sometimes Yeol took sudden turns on our way. When I asked why, he said he got the feeling that he should just turn the corner.

We were nearing the university again, when Sungyeol started hurrying his pace.

We rounded another corner, and there they were. On the ground. Bleeding.

"Oh, God!" I gasped.

"! Call Hoya and Dongwoo; tell them where we are. I'm gonna need help getting these two home." And he hurried to them and started trying to stop their bleeding.

I called them and they were there in less than a minute, thanks to Dongwoo's power.

"What the hell happened here?!" Dongwoo exclaimed.

"I think Donghae attacked these two. Hoya, help me with L. Dongwoo, can you teleport Yena-ssi back home?"

"Sure, I'll take Jehyun too. She can take care of her while I come back to get you guys."

"Ok. Go for it." Yeol said absent-mindedly.

Dongwoo bent down and carried Yena, then came and stood next to me. "Just hold on to my arm. It won't hurt."

"O… Ok." I grabbed his arm tight. The next thing I knew was we were engulfed in darkness for a couple of seconds, then we were at the guys' apartment.

Dongwoo laid Yena on the couch and turned to look at me.

"Take care of her for a second. I'll be right back." And he disappeared.

I looked down at Yena. She looked pale, her lips were turning a little blue. I went to the kitchen to grab the first aid kit. When I came back, the guys were carrying L to the other couch in the room. All the others came back home while I was bandaging Yena's leg wound.

"What the hell happened?" Sunggyu demanded.

"We won't know for sure until one of these two wakes up. But I think it was Donghae." Yeol said.

"Damn it! His bleeding won't stop! He should be healing by now." Sungjong, who was treating L's wounds, said.

"He had ice shards in some of the wounds, then they evaporated suddenly." Hoya said.

"Ice shards… Isn't that what you said is Heechul's power?" Sungjong asked.

"Yeah, it is. His ice has another effect too. It'll make another vampire's wound heal even slower than a human's." Sunggyu said.

"You mean he'll just keep bleeding like that?" Woohyun's eyes widened.

"Shi~t! Get me a needle and thread from the first aid kit there, I have to close these wounds even more quickly now." Sungjong ordered Sungyeol.

Sungyeol rummaged in the kit, then handed him what he wanted.

"How come Sungjong is the one treating L?" I whispered to Yeol.

"He has the most recent medical diploma. Ours date back to a very long time ago." He answered.

"Yena's wound seems to be healing already. But she's still so pale." I said worried.

"I think she'll be fine. Don't worry about her too much." Yeol gave me a slight smile.

"And what about L-ssi?" I asked. "What happens if you can't stop his bleeding?"

"He won't have enough blood to heal, and we can't transfuse blood to him like a human. He has to drink the blood on his own or it won't give him the energy he needs to heal." Hoya said.

"DAMN IT! We won't be able to sew them all up at this rate! He's bleeding out too quickly!" Sungjong said desperately. "Each of you grab a towel or something and press on his wounds."

There was a flurry of movement, then I was pressing a towel to a huge gash on L's chest.

"Damn it L! Wake up!" Sunggyu said. "Just open your eyes. Goddamn it! You need some blood, you should be feeling the thirst by now."

I've never seen the guys so desperate. L's blood was starting to pool on the ground. Oh God, that's too much blood.

"It's hopeless! I can't stop it!" Sungjong said with tears in his eyes.

"I don't think I've heard of anyone getting this hurt by Heechul and healing. Have you hyung?" Dongwoo asked, looking resigned.

"No." Sunggyu shook his head.

All of them looked defeated.

"Guys! Come on! You can't give up!" I felt tears in my eyes. "You have to keep trying!" My tears spilled down my face and landed on the hand that was pressing L's wound.

And that was when I felt something stirring deep inside me…