Chapter 2. Music Play!

Lian

 

I walked in after Sujin, Nana and Yumi, but before Jinea. We were supposed to walk in number of age. I am glad I am neither the youngest nor the oldest. They get the most pressure and attention. I was glad with my medium position. Though, I would be getting a lot of attention about my childhood. We stood still in front of the MC facing the cameras and the audience. “Hello, we are HANA, please take care of us!” we Introduced ourselves in unison. After the usual smiling and bowing we sat down next to EXO-K in the empty seats reserved for us.

 

The MC started asking a lot of questions, I just let them slide over me, and answered where necessary. I mainly concentrate on keeping my smile on my hurting face. My attention was snapped back when the MC asked about our individual reasons for choosing for this kind of career, and how you were discovered by SM. My appearance might seem like I was patiently waiting for my turn, but the truth was that my inner me was searching all my databases of what I would tell. Way to soon it was my turn.

 

“Uhm… well… I…” I stuttered. My eyed shifted from the MC to the cameras back to the MC. He smiled to me, trying to comfort me. “Let me ask you something,” he began, I thanked me in my mind, for him taking the control and giving me the opportunity to calm down a little. “I heard you are Dutch Native, but you don’t look Dutch, can you explain this to me?” I smiled, thank god I was able to think again. “Yes of course. My dad has Japanese parents but was born in the Netherlands. My mum is the same, born from Korean parents, but burn in America so she is American.” “Interesting, but do explain, how did a Dutch girl get herself in Korea?” “Well,” I started my answer, “I grew up In the Netherlands with my father, he always loved music, and so did I. When I was 14 Years old I decided I wanted to go and study Music. I moved to the US, and started taking music classes after school. Of course I had done this in the Netherlands too, but this was on a whole different level. Through my music friends I got to learn more about Korean pop, or K-pop how we call it. My dream was to become a Korean Idol. Since my mum was Korean I asked to her to learn me the Korean language. I asked my dad to teach me Japanese, though only through mail, and phone conversations. By the time I was 16 I had learned just the basics of the Korean and Japanese language. I was fooling around with some friends from music class, we were dancing.” Beakhyun smiled and interrupted me, “that’s where we come in. Tao and I were in New York for SMTOWN. We hadn’t debuted yet, so we were free to go out in our spare time. While we were walking around we saw a few students around our age dancing and having fun. We decided to join in and we had a great time. We found out Lian spoke our language and we asked if they were going to SMTOWN the day after. She confessed her and her friends were indeed going, and we promised to meet each other after the show. I had been impressed with Lian her dancing skills, and brought a scout to our meeting. And that is how Lian was discovered.” Beakhyun smiled proudly at me, like a proud brother, though I was only two years younger than him.

 

The MC seemed flabbergasted. “Well… I think I speak for everyone if I say I hadn’t expected this. You seem so small and cute. I would like to see some of this phrased skill. Can I have some music?”