Bonding

Heartstrings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Tae Hee-ah, can’t you just come out of your room?” Your mom pleaded.

It was a Friday and unfortunately for you, your parents had invited the Sukprakobs for dinner. When your dad opened the door for them and you heard their voice, you immediately went up to your room without glancing at them.

“Tae Hee, open up, its oppa.” Yoseob knocked on the door. “Go away!” You shut your eyes and covered your ears. You didn’t want to hear or see anyone at the moment.

Yoseob looked at your mom with a small frown. “She won’t open up.” He said softly. Your mom looked at your closed door and sighed. “Don’t worry umma; she’ll open up to them soon. I know she will.” Your mom nodded and gave Yoseob a halfhearted smile.

“Let’s go down there. Mr. and Mrs. Sukprakob are probably waiting for us.” Yoseob helped guide your mom down, glancing back at your door.

--------

You let out a long sigh. Your family dinner night ended up being ruined. It was midnight and you were still up. You couldn’t sleep, not a blink.

Another long sigh escaped your lips. You buried your face into your arms.

*Why? Why did they have to come and make everything so complicated for me? I was already having a hard time with all that love crap, and now, with parent issues. Why couldn’t I just have lived a simple easy life like how it was before? I just want everything to go back. I don’t want all these confusion anymore.*

A tear slid down your cheek. “I just want to go back.” You whispered.

---------

For the next couple of weeks, the Sukprakobs came over frequently. You would ignore them like always, but there was a part of you that wanted to know the truth of what really happened, so from time to time you would stay out and sit with them and your family.

Your family and the Sukprakobs were happy that you were willing to sit and listen. Although you didn’t answer much to the questions that the Sukprakobs asked, you still answered them and they were satisfied with that.

As the Sukprakobs came over frequently, you started to see the resemblance that you had with them.

Mrs. Sukprakob was stubborn at times, but was very much indeed a very nice and likable person just likes you. Mr. Sukprakob loved music. He was a musician like you.

You started to see the traits that you got from them. Your heart began to soften and you began to pay attention to everything they said. You didn’t know that you did, but you just did and you didn’t care.

The Sukprakobs would ask you a lot of questions about yourself and as time flew by, you answered them willingly. Each time you did, the Sukprakobs smiled widely, knowing that you were beginning to open up to them.

Your family also noticed the change in you and they were glad that you were opening up to your real parents.

---------

“Bye umma. Bye appa. I’ll be back.” You kissed both your parents’ cheek. “Bye sweetie. Have fun, okay?” Your mom smiled. You nodded and waved.

When the door closed, your mom let out a sigh. Your dad looked over at your mom. “What’s wrong, honey?” Your mom shook her head. “It’s nothing, I’m just glad that Tae hee opened up to her parents.” Your dad nodded in agreement, “I’m also glad.”

A tear slipped from your mom eyes and landed on her hands that were folded in front of her. Your dad caught the tear falling down and tilted up his wife’s chin. “Why are you crying?” He asked wiping away her tears. “What if…what if Tae hee decides to leave? What do I do then?” Your mom sobbed.

Your dad pulled her into a hug and patted her back. “If she leaves, that’s her decision, honey. We can’t stop her if she wants to go with her parents.” “But…I don’t want her to leave. I-I just…I can’t. She’s my baby.” “She’ll always be our baby no matter what. Tae Hee will always be our daughter and we’ll always be her parents. No one can take that away from us.” Your mom continued to sob in your dad’s embrace.

--------

You got off the bus and looked around. It was the beginning of March and snow was still on the ground, but it was beginning to fade meaning spring was approaching. You fixed your scarf and walked into the café that you and the Sukprakobs had agreed on meeting with each other.

The Sukprakobs had asked you out. They wanted to spend time with you, so you obliged because you too wanted to spend time with them.

As you entered the café, the smell of grinded coffee and warmth greeted you. A smile spread across your lips as you inhaled. “Tae Hee!” A familiar voice called.

You turned to the right and saw that Mr. and Mrs. Sukprakob were already there waiting for you.

“Tae hee.” Mrs. Sukprakob waved with a happy smile on her face. You smiled and waved making your way over to their table.

“Sit.” Mrs. Sukprakob motioned when you reached their table. You sat across from Mrs. Sukprakob and bowed in greeting.

“Coffee?” Mr. Sukprakob asked. You turned to him and shook your head. “No, I don’t like coffee. It tastes bitter to me.” You made a face. Mr. and Mrs. Sukprakob nodded in understanding.

Although you guys didn’t quite understand each other much because of the different languages, you guys

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter