Senior Center

Heartstrings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Fifteen years later....

“Tae Hee-ah!” Your neightbor, Sohee called. You turned around and smiled. “Sohee!” you waved. Sohee ran up to you. “Are you going to the senior center again?” Sohee asked catching her breath. You giggled. “Yes I am. Why, is something wrong?” Sohee shook her head. “I was just wondering. Well, I have to go to work now. Annyeong.” Sohee waved and left. You smiled and shook your head.

You continued walking towards the bus stop. When you go to the bus stop, you got on the bus and headed towards the senior center. On the bus your phone beeped. You grabbed your phone from your pocket and checked it. It was a message from Yoseob.

'I’m here at the senior center already. Where are you?' -Yoseob

You quickly replied back.

'I’m on my way there. In about 5 minutes or so, I’ll be there.' -Tae Hee

A message immediatily came back. 

'Arasso, hurry up.' -Yoseob

You put your phone back into your pocket and gazed out the window. After two bus stops, it was finally your stop. You got off and headed towards the senior center that was two blocks away form the bus stop.

You finally reached the senior center. Yoseob was waiting outside for you.

“Oppa!” You called waving. “Yah hurry up.” Yoseob called back. You ran up to Yoseob. “Mian, there was a lot of traffic.” “It's okay, let's go. They’re waiting for you.” You nodded and followed Yoseob inside.

“Tae Hee-ah.” A mid 30 year old woman hugged you. “Annyeong Mrs. Kang.” You greeted. “Aigoo. It’s been such a long time since I’ve seen you.” Mrs. Kang smiled. You giggled. “Mrs. Kang, I was here two weeks ago.” “Oh that’s right. It must have slipped my mind.” You nodded. “Come on, everyone’s waiting for you.” Mrs. Kang grabbed your hand and pulled you towards the comfort room.

Everyone in the senior home was there patiently waiting. When you walked in, their faces immediately lightened up.

“Annyeong-hasaeyo.” You bowed and walked up to the front of the room, where Yoseob was waiting for you.

“Are you ready?” Yoseob asked. You nodded, unpacking your viola. “I’m ready.” You smiled with your viola in your hand.

You and Yoseob turned to the audience and bowed. “Annyeong-hasaeyo. How is everyone today?” You asked smiling. “We’re all doing fine.” A halapoji replied smiling. “That’s good to hear.” You smiled and turned to Yoseob. “Ready?” Yoseob nodded. “We’ll begin then.”

You and Yoseob got ready. Yoseob counted to three and then you started to play. After playing four measures, Yoseob started to sing. Everyone in the room was in awe. You and Yoseob were together the whole time.

Once you guys finished playing, there was cheering and clapping. You and Yoseob bowed a couple of times.

“Good job Tae Hee-ah.” Yoseob smiled. “You too oppa.” You smiled back. “Ready for your solo?” You nodded. “Always.” “Good luck.” Yoseob patted your shoulder. “Gomawo oppa.” Yoseob nodded and left to sit in the audience to hear you play.

The room was quiet. All eyes were on you. You took a deep breath and put your viola on your shoulder. You put the bow on the string and took another deep breath. You began to play ‘Elgar-In the South Overture’.

While you were playing, someone walked in the room. He walked over to his halmoni, who was sitting in the corner watching and listening to you play.

“Halmoni.” He whispered, kneeling besides her. “Oh Byunghun-ah.” Halmoni Lee smiled. “What’s going on?” halmoni Lee pointed to you. L.Joe followed to where she was pointing.

His eyes locked on you. You had your eyes closed and playing your viola gracefully. He couldn’t take his eyes off you. He has never seen someone like you before. A small smile tugged on his lip.

“Byunghun-ah.” Halmoni Lee nudged him. “Huh? Oh halmoni.” L.Joe blinked and turned to halmoni Lee. “Isn’t she amazing?” halmoni Lee asked turning back to focus on you. “Yes she is.” L.Joe nodded in agreement.

There was a quick pause until L.Joe broke it. “Who is she halmoni?” L.Joe asked. “Tae Hee. Yang Tae Hee. She comes were a lot and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter