Sudden Engagement

If you asked me to

 

Mr. Lee gathered his family at their backyard. “Where is Hyemi?” He said as he looked for his daughter. “Oh, she’s with eomma. They prepared the desserts.” Donghae said as he took a seat with his wife. “Here is our dessert.” Mrs. Lee suddenly said as she came out of the house. “Here are mini-cakes made by Hyemi.” She then placed it on the table. “It’s sweet potato cake and also carrot cake.” “I made sweet potato cake because from what I recalled Jieun and Jaejoong likes it and carrot cake because my pregnant sisters craves for it.” She smiled looking at Taeyeon and Yoona who were happily eating theirs. “Omo! Unnie khamsamnida! I thought you didn’t remember.” Jieun flashed a smile before eating hers. Hyemi waited for their reaction on her mini-cakes. Jieun gave her a thumbs-up as she enjoys her cake. Jaejoong, on the other hand, didn’t say something and continued eating his food.

“Ehem.” The head of the house, the elder Mr. Lee cleared his throat. Everyone looked at his direction. He then continued. “I want to thank the Kim family for flying all the way here from Seoul to be with us today. I hope you’ll have a good stay here. I hope this would be a start of a great friendship between our families.” He then held out his drink to make a toast. Everyone joined in. “My son here and Mr. Kim will announce something.” Mr. Kim stood up from his seat. “I want to thank all of you for the warm welcome you had for us. I didn’t expect you to prepare all of this for us. You see, I’m an only child and Daeho here is like a brother to me. After several years of being lost in touch, we’ve finally met each other again. I’m glad we both now have good life; with a loving wife and beautiful children. But one thing I envy about him is that he now has grandchildren which I don’t have as of moment. For some reasons, none of my two children are married yet so my wife and I yearn to have one. After seeing your family, my wife and I instantly want to be part of yours. That’s why I talked to Daeho about it.” He then looked at his friend. The others who don’t know about this were surprised by what he said and they looked at Daeho waiting for some answers. Many thoughts are now speculating on their heads.

“After the Kims met with our family a few days ago, Mrs. Kim here contacted my wife. She said she wants to discuss something. They went over to the house and proposed something. Since their only son, Jaejoong, is already of age to get married, already stable and doesn’t have a girlfriend. They want to pair him up with my daughter Hyemi.” They all gasped as they heard it. Hyemi’s eyes widen in surprise. Jeajoong was also in disbelief. Mr. Lee continued with what he was saying. “We also want our daughter to start her own family so we agreed into it but we have to have an approval from abeoji. We talked to him and eomoni also with Miyun and Donghae and Leeteuk. They all agreed into it so everything’s settled. We’ll now prepare for their official engagement.” He happily announced. The elders smiled. “Yay!” Lauren happily cheered along with Mavin and Mason. “Aunt Hyemi will get married!!” Dayoung also squealed. Suzy, Jiyeon, Qri, Yoona, Taeyeon looked at Hyemi who was bewildered by the turn of events. Hyemi, on the other hand, felt betrayed. She thought her parents would respect her decision and not arrange her again in a marriage she doesn’t approve of. She then felt tears started forming on her eyes. “Excuse me.” She said as she stood up from her seat and walked away. “Hyemi!!” They all called out on her.

 

“Hyemi. Please open the door. Let us talk to you. Let us explain.” Mr. Lee said as she knocks on Hyemi’s door. “Hyemi, please. Listen to us.” Mrs. Lee also knocked on the door. “I wanted to be alone.” Hyemi replied back as she continuously cries. “Will she be fine?” Mrs. Kim asked. She also worries over Hyemi’s reaction. “Don’t worry. She needs an alone time to think it through. After that, she would be open for possibilities. We just have to explain why we did this to her.” Mrs. Kim said as they went downstairs.

 

On the other hand, Jaejoong was also getting mad because of his parent’s sudden decision without talking to him. “Jaejoong. You should talk to Hyemi and make her agree into this.” Mrs. Kim said as she approached him. “How can I let her agree when even I, myself, don’t want to be part of this act of yours? Are you this selfish eomma? Appa? Letting two people get into a marriage without their consent. Good thing she reacted that way. It won’t burden me to think of ways on how to get out of it. No matter what you do, I won’t agree into it.” Jaejoong said and went on to his room. “Jaejoong.” Mr. Kim said as he went away. Jaejoong didn’t respond. This also made Mr. and Mrs. Kim worry about everything.

 

Jiyeon, Qri, Suzy, Yoona and Taeyeon also persuade Hyemi to talk to them. Even Donghae and Leeteuk tried to but they all failed. It was dinner time but Hyemi still didn’t show up in the dining room. “Abeoji, what are we going to do?” Mr. Lee asked his father. “Let her be.” The elder Lee said as he continued to eat his food. “But abeoji, Hyemi won’t go down to eat.” Mrs. Lee also said in concern. “She will once she’s hungry.” The elder Lee said again as he eats. “By the way, where is Jaejoong?” Miyun said as she looked at the Kim family. “Oh! He’s also collecting his thoughts. He was also shocked by the news.” Mrs. Kim said as she tries to hide her worry over Jaejoong’s behavior. “Was this a good idea?” The elder Mrs. Lee suddenly said which made everyone stay quiet.

 

“Isn’t she hungry?” Qri said while they wait downstairs for Hyemi to come out of her room. It’s been four hours and she’s still locking herself up. “Harabeoji didn’t want us to use the spare keys of the door.” Leeteuk also said. “I hope she’s doing fine there.” Suzy also said as she worries. “What was Jaejoong’s reaction while talking to your parents?” Taeyeon suddenly asked Jieun. “He was mad. He doesn’t like it when my parents meddle with his love life.” Suddenly, Dayoung and Lauren went out of their rooms. “Eomma, why are you still here?” Lauren said as she went over to Yoona. “Your eomma and I are waiting for Aunt Hyemi.” Donghae replied to her as he picked up Dayoung.  “Is there something wrong with Aunt Hyemi? Did something happen?” Dayoung curiously asked. “Was she upset because of what harabeoji said? I saw her crying while she runs away.” Lauren also said. “Your Aunt Hyemi is sad. We’re here because she doesn’t want to talk to us and she hasn’t eaten yet.” Yoona said to her daughter. Dayoung and Lauren looked distressed to. “Poor Aunt Hyemi. I hope she will be happy soon.” Dayoung said. “I’m sure she’s hungry. Dayoungie, what shall we do?” Lauren said to her sister. Suddenly, Jiyeon thought of something. “I have an idea!”

 

I wonder what Jiyeon’s plan is. Will Hyemi and Jaejoong finally agree in this marriage?

Look out for the next chapter! , your COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY MUCH LOVED. Khamsamnida!