Chapter 23

If you asked me to

 

Hyemi then saw Jaejoong at sitting inside his car. She went near and noticed his eyes were closed as he listens to music. She hesitatingly knocked on the window. Jaejoong noticed it and rolled down the window pane.

“Uhm Jaejoong-sshi…. I just… I just want to apologize for what happened yesterday. My sister called saying my mom was in the hospital. I got panicky that’s why I left hurriedly. Sorry if I left you hanging without even responding…” She said as she looks on the ground; avoiding from looking at him.

“It’s okay. I know now what your answer is anyway.” He responded. “Well…” Hyemi tried to say something but was interrupted by Jaejoong.

“Hyemi, are you sure about this?” He suddenly asked which made her look at him with a puzzled expression.

“Oh! There you are! I’m sorry if I interrupted anything but you two are needed inside. Qri unnie’s team will be here to style you for the party.” Jiyeon said as she saw them. There was a sly smile present on her face, Suzy’s and also on Jieun’s.

The two got awkward and went inside as the three followed them.

 

“What!? You’re now engaged to Hyemi!? I thought she wasn’t keen with the idea of marrying you?!” Yunho blurted out when he heard the news.

“I was also surprised. I thought she rejected it when I proposed…” Changmin then interrupted Jaejoong. “Wait! What? You proposed to her, hyung? I thought you don’t like it too.”

“I don’t know. I thought it was the best idea since Tiffany rejected my proposal to her.” Jaejoong remarked which left his friends in awe again.

“Woah! You proposed to Tiffany and to Hyemi?! You’re a lady-killer. How can you do that?” Yoochun said with a surprised look.

“But I was rejected by Tiffany at the night of her performance. She chose her career over me. I proposed yesterday to Hyemi. I thought it was a good idea since our parents kept on insisting the marriage but then…” He clarified in a somber tone.

“Then??” Yunho asked in curiosity. “I went to the airport before Tiffany left. I saw her before she boarded the plane and she told me to wait for her. There might be a chance that she will give me a chance.” Jaejoong explained.

“You’re pretty worked up man. What would you do now?” Yoochun popped the question which was also a puzzle to Jaejoong.

“I don’t know. I related it to my mother but she just slammed me. The big announcement will be publicized on Hyemi’s birthday which will be this Friday.” Jaejoong said with a sulky tone.

“I would too if I was your mom. You popped her balloon when you changed your mind of not marrying her again. You’re like a girl, hyung, you change your mind easily.” Changmin retorted.

“You can’t back down now man. You will put to shame your family and also Hyemi’s family and auntie’s pretty scary when she mad. I know she would be if you do that.” Yoochun remarked which placed more weight on Jaejoong. “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“Then do the right thing. Get married with Hyemi.”  Yunho just said. “But I won’t be happy. You know Tiffany is who I really love.” Jaejoong reasoned.

“But Jae, we’re not sure if she would really give you a chance. She might or she might not. Two years is too long. Many things might happen to her there.” Junsu explained which silenced Jaejoong. “Just do this. Get married to Hyemi. Make the marriage work out. If after a year, you still feel there isn’t any developments then talked to her about it and get a divorce. In that way, she won’t be hurt too much. Who knows you’re really destined with Tiffany.”

“Junsu’s right. You should make the marriage work with her. As far as I’m concerned, I think Hyemi’s a great person.” Yoochun also chided.

“Make sure you won’t hurt her, hyung. You know I’m her friend too.” Changmin said in concerned. This made Jaejoong reflect on the matter. “Okay then. I’ll definitely keep that in mind.”

 

Meanwhile, at Sweet Escape. Minji and Mica were also thrilled by the good news.

“Omo!!!!!!! I was right all along! You and Mr. Handsome are now getting married!!” Mica said as she smiles from ear to ear.

“He has friends, right? Maybe he should introduce them to us so that we can get married with a handsome guy like Jaejoong.” Minji remarked which made Mica giggle in return.

“You two are crazy.” Hyemi retorted as she goes on with her work. “By the way, you should go at my birthday party, okay?”

“Of course! We wouldn’t miss the chance to witness of your engagement with him. I bet many people will be jealous because you two are a match made in heaven.” Minji said with dreamily.

“And we’re the ones tasked to do your cake so we’ll be present.” Mica also uttered.

“In which, you should be doing right now.” Hyemi reminded them. “We don’t want to have a horrible cake in my birthday, do we? So you should start with it right away. It’s just three days before my birthday. I want it to be pretty.”

“Arasso! Arasso Kim Hyemi. We’ll start working on your birthday cake.” Minji joked as sketches a lay-out for the cake.

“Don’t worry Mrs. Kim we’ll make it beautiful to suit you.” Mica also teased.

“Yah! Stop calling me that!” Hyemi complained which her friends just ignored.

 

It was then the day of the party and Hyemi was feeling nervous and fidgety about the impending engagement. She tried everything to calm herself down but she’s still feeling the same.

“Do you really want this Hyemi? Will you live with it?” She kept on asking to herself about this many times. She was thinking on backing out but, when she sees how her whole family’s happy about it, she stops herself from doing so.

She was then in her room getting prepared when she was surprised by a sudden guests “Aunt Hyemi!!” Sophia exclaimed upon seeing her. “Oh Sophia baby. I miss you.” Hyemi replied as she kissed her in the cheek. Gyuri and Hara also emerged from the door.

“Yah Hyemi! How can you do this to us?! The last time we saw each other, you talked about being happy with being single, how you’re not rushing things and don’t want to be arranged marriage. Now we hear you’re already engaged with a son of your father’s friend. Tsk. Are we really you’re best friends?” Hara sulked in which Hyemi just laughed at.

“You’re so dramatic Hara. By the way, why aren’t you wearing the ring?” Gyuri saud as she eyed Hyemi’s fingers. “Oh. It will be done tonight. It’s their plan not mine. They want it to be witnessed by many people.” Hyemi said with a disgusted face. “In which I really don’t get.”

“So, is he handsome?” Hara suddenly asked which earned a dodge from Gyuri. “Yah. Why are you asking questions like that? You’re already engaged and don’t you know Kim Jaejoong?”

“Kim Jaejoong? I thought it was some other person. Girl you’re so lucky. He’s one of our Seoul’s sought after bachelor. I thought he was gay before coz I didn’t hear anything about him having a girlfriend. You really suit each other. Both have no experience on relationships.” Hara remarked.

“By the way, did Nicole tell you that she can’t come?” Gyuri suddenly asked which made Hyemi sad. “Yeah, she did. She wasn’t around in your wedding and now at my birthday.”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure she’s happy for you. She might find a way to be here for your wedding.” Gyuri encouraged. “And for the meantime, my Sophia would fill Nicole’s position. Right baby?”

“Yes, eomma. Don’t worry Aunt Hyemi. I’m here for you.” She said as she hugged Hyemi which made her smile.

“Hyemi, your guests have started to arrive. You should head down now.” Qri said as she peeped through the door. “Oh! Annyeong Hara, Gyuri. Hi Sophia!”

“Annyeong unnie.” Hara and Gyuri greeted back. “Oh Sophia. Come with me. Dayoung and Lauren will be glad to know you’re also here.” Qri said as she leads Sophia out to join the two girls.

“This is it. Let’s go Hyemi.” Hara excitedly said. “Oh by the way, we’ll give our present later since it’s too big for us to carry.” Gyuri remarked. They then left and went down to where the guests were.

 

What will happen to the party? Will everything turn out good? Now that’s Nicole is not around, is it a sign that Hyemi is taking the wrong choice? I’m curious on to what is Hara and Gyuri’s surprise for their friend? Tune in next time and find out what will happen next! ^^
, your COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY MUCH LOVED. Khamsamnida!