Chapter 24

If you asked me to

 

After a few minutes, the party started. Hyemi then arrived and was table hopping so as to thank all those people who came to her birthday.

“Omo!! You look really pretty Hyemi!” Minji squealed. “Qri really did a great job styling this event.” Mica also said. “Thank you. I hope you did well on the cake. I’m looking forward to it.” Hyemi uttered. “Of course. We made it extra-special for you.” Minji remarked.

“Hyemi, look out for our surprise later.” Hara suddenly said. “Really? What is it?” Hyemi asked curiously. “It’s a secret. Just wait for it later. How can it be a surprise if we’ll tell you beforehand?” Gyuri also remarked.

 

“Unnie, you should head to the front. You’ll now blow your cake.” Jiyeon led het. The lights went dimmed and from the corner Hyemi’s three tier cake was revealed. She then noticed there was a box atop the cake. This made her curious. “Let’s all sing Hyemi a happy birthday.” Leeteuk uttered in which the others followed.

“Saengil Cheukae hamnida. Saengil Cheukhae hamnida. Saranghaedul Hyemi. Saengil Cheukhae hamnida.” Hyemi then blew the candles and everyone applauded. “Khamsamnida.” She expressed her gratitude to them.

Leeteuk handed the microphone to his uncle to announce something. “I want to thank everyone here who came for my daughter, Lee Hyemi’s 25th birthday party. For those who don’t know, my daughter is a chef at Sweet Escape which is, by the way, doing great.” The crowd then applauded. “But we have also an important announcement for tonight. We’re happy to publicize the engagement of our daughter to Kim Corporation’s Vice President, Kim Jaejoong. I hope you will bless their marriage. Let’s give them a round of applause.” There were clapping and cheers heard from the crowd as Jaejoong joined Hyemi in the front.

“Let us now witness as Jaejoong place the ring on Hyemi’s finger.” Leeteuk stated as Donghae got the box on top of the cake and gave it Jaejooong. Jaejoong took a deep breath and faced Hyemi who was also nervous. Hyemi then extended her hand which, Jaejoong noticed, was shaking. “Are you tensed?” She nodded in response. “I’m really not used to being the center of attraction.” Jaejoong smiled then placed the ring on her finger. With this, the crowd applauded. The two then faced them and smiled to their spectators.

 

“Congratulations on your engagement honey.” Mrs. Lee said as she hugged the two. “I’m glad my son is now getting married.” Mrs. Kim also said with teary-eyes. “Honey, you save your tears. It’s not yet their wedding day. When that day comes, then that’s the time you can cry it out.” Mr. Kim remarked.

“It’s alright Jaemin. I’m getting emotional too. You don’t know what a mother feels when they see their child all grown up and about to start their own family.” Mrs. Lee also uttered which made her husband sigh. “Aish. Let’s go Jaemin. We should just thank the visitors for coming here.”

“Eomma. You’re so dramatic.”  Hyemi spoke as she shook her head.

 

Jaejoong’s friends then appeared.

“Hyung! Hyemi! Congratulations on your engagement.” Chagmin blurted as he hugged the two. “So does this mean that you’re our sister from now on?” Yunho uttered which earned a smile from Hyemi. “I don’t think so. I mean we’re not yet married and something may occur.” Hyemi joked which earned a laugh from others except Jaejoong for he was planning on backing out last minute of the engagement. “By the way, have you seen Yoona unnie?”

“Yea, I’ve talked to her and your brother a while ago. I must say your family does really have good genes.” Yunho replied. “That makes me wonder how their kids will look like in the future.” Yoochun also said which earned a smack from Jaejoong.

“Excuse me. Can I borrow Hyemi for a while?” Minji suddenly asked. “Oh sure pretty miss.” Yoochun said in a flirting way. “By the way, I’m Yoochun and you are?” Minji giggle at his sudden action. “Yah! This isn’t time for flirting.” Junsu said which stopped Yoochun. “See you around then.” Hyemi bowed before being whisked away by Minji.

 

“What’s with the rush Minji?” Hyemi asked with curiosity. “Mica and I just want to see the ring and congratulate you.” Minji answered as she looks at the ring. “It’s really pretty. They said it was a family heirloom. Every girl who’s joining their family has the same stone but of course with different cut and style.” “Really? I didn’t know that.” Hyemi also said as she looks at the ring. “By the way, where is Mica?”

“Pssh! Of course you don’t know that. From what I observe you weren’t talking with Jaejoong the whole time except when he was giving you the ring.” Minji said then suddenly noticed Mica wasn’t around. “I thought she was with us. I left her here when I went to see you.” They then looked around and saw Mica approaching.

“Where did you go?” Hyemi asked curiously. “I went to the washroom. Guess who I saw as I go back?” Mica said with amazement. “Who?” Minji was the one who respond. “I saw Seunghyun. Did you invite him?” Mica turned her attention to Hyemi. “How come you invited him here? Don’t you feel sad that he’s not the one you’re getting engaged to?” Minji also uttered.

“I didn’t. He’s a business partner of Kim Construction. He and Jaejoong are doing a project together so they invited him here.” Hyemi then sigh as she saw Seunghyun’s figure. “Of course, I’m disheartened that he’s not the one. But what can I do? My parents really want Jaejoong for me.”

“There’s nothing you can do but try this marriage with Jaejoong. Maybe he’s the guy for you.” Mica advised. “Omo! Seunghyun is going here.” Minji suddenly whispered. They looked to where she was looking and noticed he was indeed going their way as he smiles.

“Chef!” Senghyun greeted as he came near. “Architect!” She enthusiastically greeted back. “Hi Mica. Hi Minji.” He also greeted the two. They then smiled in return.

“Minji and I are just going to talk with Gyuri and Hara.” Mica said as she tagged Minji along. The two of them were then left behind.


“So, you’re engaged with Jaejoong. I didn’t know you were in that kind of relationship. I was surprised when they said you were engaged.” Seunghyun remarked. “Well, I was also surprised when they first told me I was engaged with him.” Hyemi joked. “It was actually an arranged marriage.”

“Figures. Maybe that’s the reason why you followed him when he was drunk.” Seunhyun retorted. “Maybe he got mad coz I was your date that night.” Hyemi blushed upon hearing the word date. “I don’t think so. The engagement was not official at that time coz I haven’t agreed into it. I just accepted it a few days ago.”

“Oh. Is that so? Well, can we still be friends? And maybe hang-out some other time?” Seunghyun asked which surprised Hyemi. “Of course. Why wouldn’t we? You’re also Jaejoong-sshi’s friend so there’s really nothing wrong with that.”

“You’re right. How come when we’re just about to get to know each other; I suddenly learned you’re married.” Seunghyun said which taken aback Hyemi. “That’s life but hey we can still be friends.”

“Right. By the way, congratulations on your engagement.” He then hugged her which made Hyemi blush more.

Little did they know, they were observed from afar.

 

Who do you think was watching them? Does Seunghyun also like Hyemi? What would Jaejoong feel if that’s true? I’m curious as to what Hara and Gyuri’s surprise to Hyemi. Aren’t you too? Tune in on the next chapter and let’s all find out.

, your COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY MUCH LOVED. Khamsamnida!

I now have my own twitter account. For those of you who want to keep updated on some announcements, you can follow me here. https://twitter.com/immissinbetween