NBSB

If you asked me to

 

Hyemi was hanging out at a coffee shop with her best friends since high school.

“Hyemi, your 25th birthday is just a month away. What do you plan to do?” Hara said.  “I don’t know. It depends if my parents want a lavish celebration or not. But I just want a simple one.” Hyemi replied to her friend.

“Anyway, don’t you have any plans to get married? Up until now, you’re still a NBSB, No Boyfriend since Birth. Sometimes I thought you’re a lesbian.” Gyuri also said which earned a laugh from Hara.

“Yah! How about Nicole she’s also NBSB and up until now she’s single like me?” Hyemi was referring to their friend who was living in the states.

“She’s a different case. You know she’s has a different mindset.” Gyuri replied.

“Aren’t you jealous with Gyuri? Look she’s happily married and has two kids. We know you love children so why don’t you have one. Just open your mind once your parents set you up on a blind date again. Look at me I’m happily engaged.” Hara showed the ring while Hyemi just rolled her eyes. “Why don’t you try going out with the people they set me up with? I’m still young. I don’t have to rush things. Besides I don’t want a fixed one. If I ever get to be married, I want it to happen because we’re in love. Right Sophie?” She then pinched the little girl’s cheek. “Right aunt Hyemi.” Sophie happily said as she drinks her chocolate drink.

“See Gyuri, even your daughter agrees with me.” Hyemi proudly said. “You know she always agree with you because you bribe her with all your cooking.” Gyuri replied.

“Anyway, what happened to the guy they want you to marry? Isn’t he you’re childhood friend?” Hara suddenly asked. “I don’t know. Their business got bankrupt so they called it off. They feel shameful to my family if they would pursue the wedding.” Hyemi said as she drinks her coffee. “Isn’t he your first love? You should have fight for him.” Gyuri said. “He was, but remember what he did to me? He tried to court me while he was also courting my cousin’s cousin. It was a major turn off.” Hyemi said as she put down her drink.

“We can hook you up with someone. Or we can ask Nicole’s help.” Gyuri said which earned a laugh from Hyemi and Hara. “Are you sure about that?? Nicole?? Really?” Hyemi said as she laughs. “Yah! How can Nicole help her if Nicole herself can’t find one?” Hara also said laughing. “Hey, stop laughing. Who knows she might go back with a boyfriend in tow.” Gyuri said as she wiped her daughter’s mouth. “Hey, it’s already 5pm. I have to go home to cook dinner. You want to come with me?”

“Uhm, I can’t. We’ll have a family dinner later so I’ll pass.” Hyemi said as he checks her phone. “Me, too. I have to meet with my Junhyung.” Hara proudly said. “Okay. Let’s get going.” Gyuri said as she pushes her baby’s stroller.  “Sophie, say goodbye to your aunties.” “Annyeong aunt Hyemi. Annyeong Aunt Hara.” Sophie said as she kissed their cheeks. “Annyeong.” They both said. They went towards the stroller and kissed baby Paul’s cheeks while he was sleeping. “Take Care.” Gyuri said as they got into their car.

 

Hyemi was checking her phone on the way to her car when she was bumped by someone.

“Ouch.” She said as she rubbed her shoulders. “Why aren’t you looking at your way?” The guy said as he picked up her phone. “Here.” He said then walked away. Hyemi fixed her phone and went on with her way. “What an arrogant person.” She said as she went inside the car.

Hyemi went home and found her brother Donghae and his family. He would rarely visit there during weekdays so she knew there must be something important to talk about. “Oppa, how come you’re here? You rarely eat with us during weekdays.” She said as she picked up her niece, Lauren. “I don’t know. They just told us to come.” Donghae replied. “Where is Yoona unnie?” She asked as she looked around. “Eomma is upstairs with Dayoungie.” Lauren was the one to reply. “Let’s go the food is served.” Mrs. Lee came out from the dining hall. “Hyemi, do you have an office tomorrow?” Mr. Lee said while they were eating at the table. “I’m off by the afternoon, why?” Hyemi said as she ate her food. “We will eat outside, tomorrow. We’ll meet up with my former friend.” Mr. Lee answered. “But why do we have to come, appa.  We’re not his friends.” Mir, her younger brother said. “Because he wants to see all of you. It’s been a while since they saw you.” Mrs. Lee said. “I got a feeling this isn’t the only reason. Why do we have to be complete?” Jiyeon, her youngest sibling mumbled at her. Hyemi nodded in agreement. “I don’t know too but there’s nothing we can do about that.” “Do you know the gender of your baby?” Mrs. Lee asked Donghae and Yoona. “The doctor said it’s a boy.” Yoona happily replied. “Finally, I now have junior.” Donghae proudly said as he rubbed Yoona’s baby bump. “Congratulations!” They all blissfully said. “Lauren and Dayoung will now have a baby brother!” Hyemi said to the two. “When can we have a grandchild from you Hyemi?” Mrs. Lee suddenly asked. “Eomma, you have three grandchildren already. Be contented first with that.” Hyemi’s smile faded.

It was already Saturday; the day of her family’s dinner with their father’s friend. Hyemi was overtime at work because of many orders.

“Chef, you can go along. We’ll finish this.” One of her assistant said as she took the piping bag from her’s hand. “Okay Inna, tell Chef Minji and Chef Mica I’m going now.” Hyemi said as she heads to her office. She was preparing herself when she was startled by her collegues. “What’s with the rush?” Minji said as she sat on a chair. “Do you have a date?” Mica also entered the office. “Nope, we only have a dinner with a friend of my dad. We were all asked to tag along.” Hyemi said as he puts on a gloss. “I bet there would be an unexpected thing that would happen. Maybe that’s the reason why they asked all of you to come.” Minji suddenly said. “Like what?” Mica asked. “Like engagement? I watched it from shows and movies and also in books. My parents always tried to set one for me.” Minji replied. “I don’t think so. My parents made it clear that they would tell me beforehand if they want me to meet a guy. They promised not to set me up on an arranged marriage until I approve of it.” Hyemi confidently said as she checks herself in the mirror. “I hope too. Just inform us if Minji’s right or not.”Mica said as Hyemi was heading out of the office. “Sure, I will.” She then bid farewell and made her way to the restaurant. She was driving when she got a message.

To: Hyemi

From: Eomma

Hyemi. Where are you? Kim family is already here. You’re the only one we’re waiting. Hurry up!

 

“I’m on my way.”She sent back a message. She knew her mother is in hysterics so she drove faster.

“Do you have a reservation ma’am?” The hostess said when Hyemi entered the establishment. “Reservation for Lee Family.” She said as she looked around. “Oh! This way ma’am.” She then led her to a room. She entered and saw her family already sitting there with the food served already. Across them are her father’s friend and his family. She kissed her parents and sat on the vacant chair next to her sister Jiyeon. “I’m sorry for being late.” She said as she bowed to her father’s colleague. “By the way Hyemi, this is my friend Kim Jaeho and this is his wife Kim Mishil. These are their children Kim Jaejoong and Kim Jieun.” Her father said as he introduced the Kim family. “Annyeong. I’m Hyemi.”  She stood up and bowed to them.

“Hyemi, it’s been too long since I saw you. You were a little kid back then.” Mrs. Kim said as she smiled at Hyemi. “You grew up so beautiful.” “Khamsamnida auntie.” She smiled back. “Don’t you remember Jaejoong, dear? He was your playmate when you were younger.” Her mother said as she gestured to the handsome lad beside Mrs. Kim. Hyemi studied Jaejoong’s face but she can’t remember him. “I’m sorry but I can’t recall his face.” Jaejoong looked dismayed upon hearing that. “It’s okay honey. You were still young back then maybe that’s why you can’t remember him.” She said as she smiled at Jaejoong.

“Hyemi, your father said you’re a chef.” Mr. Kim suddenly said. “Yeah uncle. I’m a pastry chef. My friends and I are behind the shop Sweet Nothings.”Hyemi proudly said. “Oh really? I adore the sweet potato cake there unnie.” Jieun happily said. “It’s her creation.” Jiyeon proudly said. “Really? Omo! I’m glad to see you unnie!!” Jieun squeled.  “Thank you.” Hyemi happily replied. “Oppa, you like that too, right?” Jieun looked at his brother. Jaejoong just nodded. “Thank you.” Hyemi gratefully said. “I’ll give you a discount next time you come to my shop.” A few good laughs and several stories were told throughout the entire dinner. “Well, that was a great time. We should do that again.” Mrs. Lee said as they head out the restaurant. “That’s a great idea. How about next week?” Mrs. Kim replied. “Isn’t that a great idea, honey?” “See you again next week then.” Mr. Kim said to Mr. Lee. “See you.”

 

“That was fun, honey. I really love Kim Lee family. I adore their children. Donghae’s working with their company. He got a pretty wife who’s a fashion designer and also adoring kids. Hyemi is well-known pastry chef. Mir is reviewing for licensure for Engineers. Jiyeon’s studying Interior designing. Good thing they get along with our kids.” Mrs. Kim said as she got inside the car. Jaejoong and Jieun went home together. “I like Hyemi. She’s a responsible daughter. She’s just a simple kid and not too fancy. They were all raised well. I envy the Lee family. They already have cute grandchildren; I wish we have one too.” Mrs. Kim said; Mr. Kim nodded in agreement. “But Jaejoong still has no plans or whatsoever.” “Oh! I have an idea!” She suddenly squealed. “What is it?” Mr. Kim curiously asked. “You’ll find out soon. Just agree to it, okay honey?” She then kissed her husband in the cheek. “Whatever you say hon. I knew that you have the best interest in mind.” Mr. Kim smiled and drove away.

 

I wonder what would be Mrs. Kim’s plan. Do you smell something fishy?

Find out next chapter. Don't forget to comment below :)