A Song in a Love Story

Zombieland SJ

Since SHINee's debut, everyone's been expecting Jonghyun to release a solo song. After many months, he decided to take the chances but decided to go one step beyond by writing the whole song and lyrics. There's just one problem though. He doesn't know how. But not to worry since there's Donghae, who is a songwriter.

"And these chords work like this. You got it?" (Donghae)

"Yeah. Thanks, hyung." (Jonghyun)

"And now for the lyrics. What kind of song are you thinking about?" (Donghae)

"A ballad maybe? Something that sounds and makes people feel warm." (Jonghyun)

"Okay then. Let's see..." (Donghae)

"Hey, hyung. I always wanted to know." (Jonghyun)

"What is it?" (Donghae)

"How do you get the inspirations for all the songs you wrote?" (Jonghyun)

"Well, at first, when I wrote for Jewel, I wrote it to match their image. But with Growing Pains, I drew that from my love and friendships and how they might end if I don't care about the people who I love." (Donghae)

"Wow. You wrote for Jewel. How long have you known Hyukjae hyung before that?" (Jonghyun)

"Acutally, we've been together for our whole lives. Well, our past lives and now at least." (Donghae)

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you live your past lives?" (Jonghyun)

"Where should I even begin?" (Donghae)

Just then, Hyukjae came in.

"How's it going?" (Hyukjae)

"It's going great. I was just about to tell Jonghyun about our past lives. To give him an inspiration for his song." (Donghae)

"Oh, okay. Well then, I guess it started when we first met." (Hyukjae)

 

It was 1983, when the two were 5 years old. Hyukjae was just playing on the swings while his mother was talking with a friend nearby. Then he saw a boy around his age being bullied by some older boys. Since he had a strong sense of justice, well, for a young kid, he went in to save him.

"Hey! Stop hurting him!" (Hyukjae)

"Huh? And why should we?"

"Yeah! He's weak and can't even run properly."

"So what?! That doesn't mean you can pick on him!" (Hyukjae)

"Hyukjae? What's going on?"

"Umma! These hyungs are bullying him." (Hyukjae)

"Now, who gave you the right to do this?"

"Uh..."

"It seems like you didn't get any rights. Like my son said, you can't just pick on the weak."

"Get out of here!" (Hyukjae)

The boys ran away, leaving the weak boy on the ground.

"You okay? I'm Hyukjae by the way."

"Thanks. I'm Donghae."

"Donghae!"

"Umma." Donghae's mother was looking for him.

"What happened to you?"

"Some older kids tossed him around and made fun of him. My son here saved him."

"Thank you. I'm so greatful. Let's go home, Donghae."

"We'll meet again, right?" (Donghae)

"Of course!" (Hyukjae)

2 years later came 1985. The two became 7 that year and started elementary school. And by coincidence or fate, they met on the day of the entrance ceremony.

"Excuse me but are you..." (Donghae)

"Huh? Donghae?" (Hyukjae)

"Hyukjae! It is you. I missed you." (Donghae)

"I missed you too. Already 2 years?" (Hyukjae)

"Yeah. And best of all, we're in the same class!" (Donghae)

"YAY!"

And the years went by and the two were in the same class for 6 years straight. Then came middle school, which of course, they ended up at the same school and the same classes.

"So, Hyukjae. What do you want to be?" (Donghae)

"Isn't it obvious? I want to be a dancer. I LOVE dancing." (Hyukjae)

"Then maybe I'll be a songwriter. So I can write song for you to dance to." (Donghae)

"Really? That would be great! That way, we'll always be together, even when we're adults." (Hyukjae)

And by middle school graduation, that's when their love story began.

"Umm... Donghae, I..." Hyukjae was blushing, but Donghae was also blushing.

"You too, huh? I guess we were meant to be."

"I guess so too. So... Wanna go out?" (Hyukjae)

"Of course! I was going to ask you the same thing." (Donghae)

The two laughed and that's when they started dating. Then highschool rolled around in 1994. Hyukjae managed to find a group of guys in their school who were also passionate about dancing. They eventually formed a dance group and named themselves Jewel. They finally managed to get into a major company but it's then that the other guys of Jewel started to treat Hyukjae badly. After a long training process, in 1997, they got their big break and their debut was announced.

"Hae! We're debuting!" (Hyukjae)

"Congrats. And I finally completed a song." (Donghae)

"Great! I'll tell our company president and the guys. You should come. They'll be glad to have a talented songwriter like you." (Hyukjae)

"Really? Talented? I think I'm just an amatuer." (Donghae)

"No, this is a genius' work. You'll be great. And like I said, we'll be together all the time." (Hyukjae)

"Okay!" (Donghae)

And Hyukjae was right. During Jewel's debut prepartions, he introduced Donghae to the others and they started to treat him badly as well. Then came September 27th. Jewel's official debut day. They performed the song that Donghae wrote and everyone loved it. But Hyukjae and Donghae's happiness on that day soon went away when this happened.

"That was a great song. Who wrote it?" 

"It was written by my b..." (Hyukjae)

"I wrote it with our producer." (Homin)

"Huh?!" Hyukjae was obviously angry because of the untrue outcome.

"What's with that reaction?" Homin says sarcastically.

"You should KNOW this reaction! I'm sorry but what he said is not true. This song, Shining Us, is written by my best friend, Lee Donghae." (Hyukjae)

Hyukjae brings Donghae out to the stage and everyone cheered. But the rest of Jewel weren't happy about this. A month later, Hyukjae and Donghae went on a date to celebrate the former's debut, as they were so busy during the past month. They went to a department store and went to the music department.

"I know it's late but pick whatever guitar you want. It's my birthday present to you." (Hyukjae)

"Thanks! Let's see... I really like this one. It's like the color of the ocean." (Donghae)

"Okay. Excuse me. We'll take this guitar please." (Hyukjae)

"Of course."

They paid for the guitar but just as they were about to head out the store, gunshots were being fired.

"AH!"

"EVERYONE! GET TO THE SHELTERS!"

But the shooter was already at the music department and shot everyone in the store. That included Hyukjae and Donghae.

 

Jonghyun cried and saw the two zombies crying. He thought he brought up such a sensitive topic.

"Oh... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have ask you about it." (Jonghyun)

"No, it's fine. It's nice to tell it to get it off our shoulders." (Donghae)

"As we can't say anything about this zombie thing in public." (Hyukjae)

"Right... Sorry again but what's the message here?" (Jonghyun)

The two zombies laughed.

"The message is; Try to find people who you can really trust." (Hyukjae)

"Try to know their real personalities and intentions. That way, you can live your life and overcome any obstacles." (Donghae)

"That's how we first met and lived our past lives." (Hyukjae)

"Wow. Thanks for the story. I think I know what to write about." (Jonghyun)

And with that, Jonghyun released his song and it was a big success. During an interview, a reporter asked him what was the inspiration for the melody and lyrics.

"I heard a story about couple and their lives. They overcame all their tragedies and kept their love going until the end. I thank the people who told me their life story. If I ever meet someone who's in the same situation that I had, I will be sure to them my life story so they also can be inspired." (Jonghyun)