Chapter 8: Recollection

Unwillingly Yours

  Going down the stairs took a bit of effort and just as she expected she was getting stares and look from everyone. Had they already known about what happened to her? She would assume so. Looking at all the faces, these girls had also met with the same fate and she now understood why they all looked at her so strangely and solemnly. She understood what Myorin meant by her apology now and she couldn't imagine how it would feel to have to the new girl to her fate. Hyosun and Bomi were waiting for her at their usual round table when she stepped into the dining hall. They ran over to her immediately and hugged Kyra tightly. They knew. Without her permission tears started streaming down her face and she sobbed. The girls gave her words of comfort as they walked her to her seat. Once Kyra sat down Hyosun slid a tray of food over to her. It was a bowl of fruit salad, a chicken sandwich and a bottle of apple juice. It wasn't what she usually got and as if reading her mind Bomi spoke.

"It'll help your body recover. You should also eat a lot of broccoli for the iron..." she trailed off.

"So word has spread that fast?" her friends looked at each other before looking at her.

"It's been three days since we last saw you Kyra." Hyosun looked away as she said it. "Kyra-" Bomi cut Hyosun off.

"We are really sorry about what happened to you Kyra."

Kyra sighed and began to pick at her food. "So who told you?" once again the two girls shared a look.

"Well we found out the same way you did. Only our masters had fed recently and within a day we were fine." Hyosun got teary eyed as she spoke.

"I was bitten the same night as you and Bomi was the night after. Lunch was really weird without you guys. When I asked the senior girls about what happened to you guys, they asked me if I was marked and I showed my mark to them and they told me that Bomi was being prepped and that you were recovering from the feeding." she started to sob. "I thought you were dead when they wouldn't tell me anything today. I'm so glad you're awake." Kyra smiled and leaned over the table to hug Hyosun. "

So how was it for you two?" Kyra asked while taking another bite of her fruit salad.

"Master Yoochun was very kind with the whole process actually." Bomi said shyly. "He explained the situation to me. I didn't believe him and I cried and he just held me. He then explained that he needed to feed from me to mark me as his, and then no one would ever be able to harm me. He said the feeding process isn't bad unless you resist. Resisting them only makes the outcome worse for you, especially if they haven't fed in a while. It really hurt though. I don't remember much after that except waking up in my room. What about you Sunny?"

Sunny seemed a little shocked to be asked and paused to gather her thoughts. “Well I was brought into the lounge area and basically told the same thing. I then attacked Junsu for tricking me like he did. In the end I was knocked out. And I woke up in my bed. He came to visit me to apologize. He even gave me flowers. But enough about that, what happened to you Kyra?"

Kyra flinched as she thought about it again. "Well remember when I said I was going to call it a night at dinner? I went to go find Jaejoong. He was in his study talking to Yunho about feeding and how he hadn't done so in a while. But at the time I didn't really understand. Since they both knew I was eaves dropping I figured they were just playing a trick on me and then..."She began to cry. "And then he... He told me that my mother basically signed me away to him, and she was getting paid for it. “She sobbed loudly. She didn't care if anyone heard her, none of the stares mattered because she was trapped here with no chance of ever going back home. The girls scooted their chairs on either side of her and hugged her as she sobbed hard. When she felt able to speak she continued. "His eyes they went from black to golden. They were scary... and his fangs. I have never been so terrified in my life. I tried to get out of the room but it was locked and then he made me turn to face him as he bit me... and then I woke up in severe pain apparently three days later."

There was silence between the three as they ate their lunch. Kyra really didn't feel like eating. But she didn't want to look like a zombie for god knows how long. While she was finishing off her sandwich and apple juice Jaejoong made his way into the dining hall scanning the faces for someone, Kyra was pretty sure it was her and she sank down in her seat to avoid detection. She wanted to run out of there and just hide forever but she knew it would probably only get her in trouble. Hyosun and Bomi gave her concerned stares. Jaejoong ended up spotting her though and made his way over to her. Each step he took made her heart race and increased her urge to run.

"Kyra." He called out to her as he came close to their table. It sent shivers down her spine and suddenly she just couldn't contain herself anymore. She got up and made a dash for the door before anyone could really make sense of what was going on, knocking over her chair in the process, but she didn't care. He was the last person she wanted to be around at this point. But where would she go? Where could she hide from him? She decided to just let her body take her wherever it may.

Jaejoong stared at her fleeing form and he felt a little bad about everything, but she was going to have to learn that running away when he called for her would lead to punishments. Some would be very severe depending on the situation. He apologized to the ladies for the disturbance, hoped they all enjoyed their meal and walked after Kyra. He would probably never voice it but she was fond of a little game of chase; the predator inside of him enjoyed it. "Let’s see how long you can stay away."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kyra had decided to hide away on the balcony in Jaejoong's room. She sat on the porch swing with her knees bought up to her chest. She wished she could have swung on it at least for a little while, but that would have definitely given her hiding spot away. She thought about jumping off the balcony, if she survived the drop, maybe she could run away and find her way back to some sort of civilization, but then what? She didn't speak a of Korean; she didn't have any identification, or any money to get home. The more she thought about it, the more depressed she got and the more appealing jumping off the balcony sounded. All she could think about was her mom. Why would she do this to her? She was willing to do anything and everything for her mother, but flash a check with a few zeros in front of her face, and suddenly Kyra meant nothing. She cried silently to herself. Suddenly all of her body's aches and pains came to light again and she began to feel dizzy. She closed her eyes and began to take deep breaths to calm herself. She wondered how she always managed to into these bleak situations and came to the conclusion that she must have been cursed. It was the only reasonable explanation. Opening her eyes again she stared at the beautiful scenic view and just lost herself in it. So much so that she wasn't even aware of Jaejoong peeking through the glass door onto the balcony. He wouldn't be able to spot her from the angle, but she wasn't prepared for when he opened the door and stumbled out of the porch swing and onto the floor startled and a bit disoriented.

"Ah. There you are. Why have you been hiding from me?" Jaejoong had to give her credit; this was the last place he thought she would be, hiding in enemy territory. It had taken around twenty minutes of leisurely searching.

Wincing as she stood up she responded with slight irritation. "That's a dumb question. Why on earth would you think I want you anywhere near me after what you did?"

She never failed to intrigue him. While he could sense her fear or unease in situations, she always had a random burst of spunk in her and it never failed to make him smile. It was definitely very entertaining to witness. "Well my pet, I would assume you would want to avoid the consequences for doing so, but I guess you think otherwise. Although I can understand your instincts, I will not excuse your actions. Do I make myself clear?" His words were laced with authority and she flinched like a scolded child when he finished. "The only reason I am lenient with you is because you are new and the situation you're in probably hasn't had a chance to sink in yet. But I am only here to talk with you. You are here to work, first and foremost. So for starters I think it would be a good idea if you were on laundry duty this week. Just to start off. "

"Starting when? “She raised her brow curiously, once again her bad habit made her forget about the bigger picture.

"Starting now." He smirked and began to his white shirt. All she could do was stand there like an idiot blushing with her jaw slightly agape as he tossed his shirt at her. Catching it she averted her gaze to the ground. "You are such a terrible person Jaejoong..." She wanted to be disgusted, she really did, but somehow she couldn't be.

"Oh yes, about that, you have to refer to me as your Master now.”

"Wait... what?" He caught her off guard with his statement and was suddenly offended by him even considering that she should refer to him as such.

"Why the hell should I have to call you that? What is it; you guys get off on that type of thing?"

He laughed, her rashness amused him. "No it's not like that at all. It’s customary since we are the masters of the house, you should address us as such."

Kyra brought her face up towards his and tried to focus on his face, and only his face, but the sunlight accentuated his features which made it hard to focus on even breathing. Wait a minute. "Um... Jaejoong. One question. If you are a vampire... how is it that you can stand to be in the sunlight? Aren't vampires supposed to burst into flames when sunlight touches them?"

He inhaled and then sighed. "While there is truth to your words, I am not a newly turned vampire, and I have recently fed so I can stand to be in the sunlight, but not for extended periods of time. Small doses of sunlight only." As he finished speaking he walked towards the glass doors and beckoned her to follow. "Let’s continue this talk later, after you are done with your shift."

Kyra stared after him. What just happened? She wondered and shook her head as she confirmed that she must have really been cursed to have gotten herself into these types of situations. She followed him back inside and prepared to get ready for work.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kyra had never seen so much laundry in her life. While other girls were working in their maid uniforms, Kyra was in her casual wear because she had not yet been fitted for her uniform. She honestly hated how she stood out because it attracted looks and stares. One thing she was glad about was her decision to straighten her hair some before working to ensure that no one would be able to see her bite wound. It sounded a bit silly, since she assumed all the girls had to of had bite marks as well, but she felt vulnerable and exposed with it showing, and she didn't need anyone staring at her any more than they already did. She actually liked dealing with laundry since it didn't require her to talk or work with anybody, although some of the girls did, and it kept her busy enough to keep her mind off of things. She grabbed a load of bed sheets from the dryer and made her way down the hall after she had folded them. As she was walking down the hall, the door to Changmins room opened and a girl wobbled out and stumbled into the opposing wall only to slump down to the ground. The other girls in the hall saw this and glanced at her but kept walking past her in a hurry as if they knew something bad was going to happen if they stuck around. Changmin was notorious for drinking his girls to the point where they couldn't work. So this was pretty much a normal sight for everyone. It was because of his feedings that all the other girls had to not only do their chores, but had to pick up their slack as well. So while some of the girls felt no obligation or had no courage to her, Kyra felt torn about the situation because she actually wanted to stop and help her out. The reason being was she would want someone to help her if she was ever in that situation, but on the other hand, she didn't want the girl to get into any serious trouble by doing so. Suddenly a voice broke Kyra's thoughts and whispered lowly "Keep on moving and act like nothing is happening." Kyra jolted slightly at the sudden sound of someone speaking to her but as she turned to see who it was they were already walking in front of her. The only thing Kyra could tell was that they were blond. So she did as she was instructed to and started walking by.

At the same time she started walking Changmin made his way out of his room, stopping Kyra from moving forward as he bent down to pick up the girl. He stared at Kyra coldly and walked back into his room only to pause a few inches in and say "Can you please shut the door?" Although she was surprised that he was even talking to her, she did as she was told and just stood there for a minute. She felt sorry for the girl and even a little guilty that she just let it happen. This made her feel disgusted and she muttered "Filthy pig" before making her way to the fifth floor where Yunho's housekeeper’s bedrooms were.

She had just finished changing the bed sheets in the fourth room and was just entering the fifth when she was shocked to find that the room was absolutely bare. There no clothes, no bed sheets, absolutely nothing. As she stepped inside she got this cold chill down her spine which made her want to turn and leave as quickly as possible, which is what she did afterwards and scurried downstairs to the laundry room as quickly as she could.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time her shift was over and she was done for the day it was dinner time, and she was actually really excited to see Hyosun and Bomi again. She had developed a special bond with the two girls and it was a pleasant feeling. As Kyra entered through the doors of the dining hall, she noticed it was alive with activity which had her wondering what she missed. After she grabbed her dinner she spotted her friends at their usual spot and quickly made her way over.

"So is it just me or does it seem more lively in here than usual? Did I miss something?" Kyra asked as she began to eat.

"Didn't you hear?" Hyosun practically yelled.

Kyra took a moment to swallow some of her food before responding. "Hear what? What happened?" She noted that Hyosun looked a little more than alarmed.

"Myorin's dead." Bomi exclaimed.

"What?! Are you serious? What happened?" Kyra's heart sank. If it wasn't one thing happening, it was another and all of these bad events were giving her one hell of a migraine.

"Changmin drank her dry." Hyosun said grimly, she looked nauseated as she said those words. Kyra couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"He did what? But why? Wasn't Myorin one of Yunho's?"

They both nodded but it was Bomi who spoke. "Yes and I heard that Yunho plans on doing the same to one of Changmin's as retaliation."

Kyra felt sick to her stomach and her already scant appetite disappeared. "So that’s the girl I saw in the hallway then. I didn't know it was her... But hang on that's not even fair. Why would they even do such a thing to one another?" There was an extended silence as no one really knew the answer. Hyosun broke it suddenly. "Well whoever Yunho picks is going to be the luckiest one.”

Shock came over Bomi's face as she scolded Hyosun for her cold words. "Sunny! Don't say things like that."

"But it’s true" Hyosun retorted. "I mean think about it. We are trapped here with no way or hope of ever leaving. We are stuck here with no escape and we have to serve these blood ers until we either die of old age or from them over drinking. On top of that, Changmin has one hell of an appetite and his girls are always getting drained to the point that they almost die. And this is on a constant basis you guys. If you really think about it Yunho is going to put one lucky girl out of her misery, and give her the one free ticket out of this hell we ended up in." When Kyra thought about it she had to agree that Hyosun had a point. Her stomach churned as her words repeated themselves in her mind. As the two continued talking, Kyra felt this sudden urge to look over at the entrance to the dining hall. When she did she saw Jaejoong looking at her. Once he noticed she saw him he motioned her to come to him.

"Uh guys... I've got to go." She said simply before getting up and heading over to him. All the two girls could do was watch.

"Come with me" was all he said as he left the room. The two walked in silence for a while and Kyra realized they were making their way to his study. He suddenly broke the silence. "So I am guessing by all the commotion in the Dining Hall you've already heard about the unfortunate incident?"

Kyra nodded. "Yes I did. And Now that I think about it I somehow feel like it's my fault that it happened."

Jaejoong was taken aback by her response "Why would you feel as though it was your fault?" He raised his eyebrow curiously.

Kyra sighed and dropped her gaze to the floor and explained the earlier situation where she decided that instead of trying to help the girl, she, like a conformist sheep decided to follow the flock. All Jaejoong could do was nod in understanding. "I can see how you would feel that way, but rest assured this had nothing to do with you, and you did nothing wrong my pet. Don't concern yourself with things that don't concern you. This is between the departed, Changmin and Yunho." Kyra let out a defeated sigh and nodded. She supposed in some cases he was right, but it still bothered her deeply that she could have possibly changed someone’s fate if she only took the chance. Before she could get lost in her thoughts Jaejoong spoke again. "However you should be more focused on the things that do concern you." She looked up at him questioningly. They had reached the study and he opened the door and held it open for her.

"What do you mean?" She tilted her head as she made her way inside.

"Like your new name for example." He responded and shut the door behind him. 

 

-------------------

Posted: 2/24/2012

Sorry this took so long, i lost more than 80% of this chapter when my browser suddenly refreshed and I realized I hadn't copied  it when i finished the first time. So after a few minutes or raging about it i managed to finish it.  BUT anyways. Here is chapter eight. I hope you've enjoyed reading what I've managed to write so far, and I hope you stick with me till the end. Please feel free to comment :3