Chapter 25: Before the Fall

Unwillingly Yours

 

                                    ---------------------Jaejoong-----------------------

Jaejoong sat on his balcony porch swing gazing out to mountains in the distance and he sighed. School was going to be starting soon. They all had their uniforms ready and their schedules for the year. He was excited to be allowed out of the house again and could even roam the city streets at night. His thoughts were interrupted by Yunho walking out onto the balcony and leaning on the ledge of it, admiring the view as well. For a while they didn’t speak, but Yunho eventually broke the silence.

“She still acting strangely Jae?”

Jaejoong sighed. For the past two weeks this question was becoming very common.

“If by strange you mean like everyone else, then yes.” His mind traveled back to the time they spoke in the lounge about what happened. He didn’t know what possessed him to reach out to her and try to make her stay, but he didn’t want her to leave. After that, she got into a fight the next day and he thought things were back to normal, but the minute she called him Master Jaejoong and apologized to Changmin for beating up Kuda, he knew something was off. The days following that incident she made herself absolutely scarce, he would try and talk to her; to get a reaction out of her like he normally did, but she just seemed to not let his comments faze her and say things like ‘You’re so clever Master Jaejoong’ or ‘I’m sorry for being rude Master Jaejoong, but I have a lot of work to do.’ The truth was obvious that she didn’t really have a lot of work to do. He was the one who made her schedule, but she either did jobs that weren’t required of her, or she hid in her room most of the time. From what Jang Mi told him she rarely came to eat. Jaejoong had gone to confront the issue a few times, but once she wasn’t in her room when he went to find her, and other times she was sleeping. 

As it turned out, the fiery haired girl was in fact Kyra’s younger sister, but Changmin decided to not let Alexandria know that little bit of information for as long as he could help it. With Kyra isolating herself the way she did actually worked out in Changmins favor. Jaejoong was actually surprised with Changmins ability to charm the girl. He was on his best behavior, and when he did manage to feed, he did it while everyone but the girl he was feeding from was sleeping. When Jaejoong asked why he was being so well behaved, Changmin told him in a very devilish way that he wanted to make sure Alexandria stayed because it meant he had power over Kyra. It was a bit twisted, but Jaejoong understood how it would be beneficial with keeping his Hana out of his way. Once thoughts of her began to plague his mind he let out a sigh and his minor flashback was over.

“If I didn’t know that you can’t use compulsion of vampires I would swear it was you doing this to me.” He buried his hands in his face letting out an aggravated sound.

Yunho turned his head in Jaejoongs direction. “What are you ranting on about now?” he asked before smiling in realization. “You can’t get her off your mind can you?”

“No. I can’t and it’s all because of that damn stunt you pulled two weeks ago.”

“Don’t try to put the blame on me Jae, you’re the one who kissed her on your own accord.”

He sighed. Yunho was right. “Yeah, but you put these thoughts and what ifs in my head with our little talk and now things are weird. It’s something like how Yunhee and I were back in the day, but that was just . I was young and full of hormones I couldn’t control back then. This… this is just…”

“Different?” Yunho said finishing his sentence for him

“Yeah different. And the way that she’s been avoiding me lately, it drives me insane. I haven’t even bothered to feed from her again at all. But Jang Mi doesn’t seem to mind that she’s been getting fed from twice as much. “HE said it with a smirk.

Yunho sighed. “Jae, when are you going to admit that you like this girl? No one really cares if you do. It’s perfectly fine for things like this to happen. Myorin and I were happy.”

“Myorin actually liked you though Yunho. That’s one of the main differences here. You two went well together. How did you even know you fell for her? A Human.”

Yunho shook his head. “You are one of the densest people I know Jae. But I found out the same way you’re figuring it out, except you know… I wasn’t in blatant denial of thinking someone could actually capture my heart.”

“I’m not falling for her Yunho, there just isn’t any way. I’m not programmed to fall in love with someone that isn’t a vampire. “He huffed in frustration.

“This is exactly why you are going to lose her, and you’ll never be happy. That’s why even with Myorin dead, I know that I would have rather it ended that way than have to live with her for the rest of her life in constant denial of whatever feelings I have had for her. I’m glad I was able to experience it, and with the way you are now Jae, you’ll never have that chance.”

Yunho sat next to Jaejoong on the porch swing and they didn’t speak again for a while. “Even if I did eventually develop feelings for her or anyone else for that matter, it wouldn’t even be worth it. If you haven’t notice she can’t stand me. It’s not right to have a relationship or anything like that with the housekeepers anyways because of the whole favoritism thing.”

“Well you shouldn’t have given her the title of Favorite flower if you are so against having a favorite. Which for the longest time was Yunhee, until Jang Mi self-appointed herself as top dog.”

Jaejoong was about to retort but the familiar sound of someone’s frustrated screams caught his attention. He and Yunho made eye contact. Yunho smirked a little and tilted his head to the direction of the balcony ledge. “Go on then. You know it’s her. Go play hero for your damsel in distress.” Yunho teased.  Jaejoong narrowed his eyes at Yunho.

I know what you’re up to Yunho. If I go, he’s going to assume that I really want to see her. So I’ll just make him wait a bit…That was the thought originally. However Jaejoong actually found himself anxious to go see her and sighed getting up. “This doesn’t mean anything Yunho. I’m just worried about her. And that’s it.”

Yunho cracked a smile. “Sure Jae. But who are you trying to convince? Yourself or me?” He laughed as Jaejoong his teeth, glared at him and then jumped off the balcony, startling the already distraught Kyra. Yunho erupted in laughter when he heard her snap at Jaejoong.

“Goddamnit! Do you even know what the hell a flight of stairs are? Why must you always pop up to annoy me when I want to be alone the most?!”

Yunho got up, smiled to himself and spoke to no one. “My work here for now is done. I wonder how you were able to pick up on this so early on Love…” As Yunho said the last part he looked up at the cloudless afternoon sky. His chest still ached slightly. “I know you’d be upset that I purposely let Mia leave, but I don’t want a replacement for you. I rather not be reminded that you’re gone every time I look at a new girls face. I know it’s selfish, and I know that affects the amount of girls the boys are allowed to have…but I can’t help it.” He looked down at the ground as he finished speaking and sighed before making his way into the house. If Yunho couldn’t get over it, there were going to be some major changes in the house for everyone.

                                  ----------------------------------------------------

Kyra glared at Jaejoong through red rimmed and puffy eyes. It was bad enough that she was filling her head with dark thoughts of what could be happening to Alexandria now, especially with Changmin being the one involved, but With Jaejoong around, she had knots in her stomach and her chest tightened.  He was wearing a form fitting long sleeved gray shirt and he looked damn good in it. Are you serious brain? My sister could be dead right now and all you ing care about is how that shirt he’s wearing looks like it was made for him? She grew more irritated.

“I heard you yelling and got concerned. Gosh you’re so damn ungrateful.” . Wrong move.

I’m the ungrateful one? My sister could end up like Myorin or Moksori and there is nothing I can do about it right now. So you and your gratitude wanting .” She stood up to storm away but Jaejoong hopped up the stairs and grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into him. Kyra thrashed about, cursing and yelling at him, but he just held onto her and ler her beat his chest.

“Let me go!” She yelled and started to cry.

Jaejoong didn’t say anything and just held her. He thought she was calming down when she stopped hitting him and sobbed into his chest. However,  Kyra spoke lowly in a calm tone. “I am going to ask you this once and only once.”

“What is it?” He asked as he looked down at her.

“Can you please let me go?”

“No.” He said and held his grip on her.

Sighing with tears streaming down her face she drew back her hand, balled it into a fist and punched him square in the jaw as hard as she could. It didn’t really hurt him, but it knocked him back and surprised the hell out of him. He released his hold on her and stared at her in shock as he held the spot she hit. “I don’t need your forced sympathy Master Jaejoong. So please, just leave me alone because you make me feel like my feelings are a ing joke. And I hate feeling that way.” Her sentence ended in a sob and she slammed open the glass door and stormed inside, audibly sobbing as she made her way to her room to be alone. Some of the girls stared at her, and Bomi called out to her, but Kyra paid everyone no mind. She just wanted to be left alone.

                                       ------------------------------------------------------

Kyra awoke to knocking on her door. Go away... “Come in.” She said with a cracked voice.  Her eyes were heavy and they hurt to open. The person came in but said nothing. When Kyra was able to open her eyes she saw it was Jaejoong. Why? God what did I do to make you hate me so much? She sighed as he flicked on the light switch to her room. Although the evening light illuminated the room, it was probably too dark for a conversation, which she assumed was about to happen.

“Yes Master Jaejoong? Do you need my help with something?” Kyra had learn to just quietly conform, since if she thought of this as a professional job, the feelings she found herself developing for him would go away. But in fact it just made it a bit worse, because instead of butterflies in her stomach there was a in her heart that she didn’t fully understand. What she did understand was it made being in the same room as him almost impossibly uncomfortable, and when he sat down on the edge of her bed it only got worse.

“I’m sorry if I’m making you uncomfortable.”

She made an attempt to speak but was cut off by him. “Don’t say anything. Did you forget that I can hear your heart beating from here? I know its racing. But It’s just…” He trailed off and cursed Yunho in his head. He glanced over that the puffy faced girl and sighed. “I know you’re really worried about your sister. I was actually concerned since you’ve been acting strange lately and-”

It was her turn to interrupt him. “Just stop right there. Please. I don’t want to talk about to with you. And how I feel is none of your business or concern. We had this discussion a while ago. I would rather just forget about it.”

Jaejoongs face tensed. “Fine. I was going to let you know that you are going to be coming with me to the school tomorrow.”

“No I will not.”

“And what makes you think that you are in any position to decide that.”

“Because tomorrow I have to be there for my sister, and help her understand everything. She needs me, and I don’t care how much trouble I get into for disobeying you, but that is my only family I have left, and you will not take that away from me anymore than she already has. And before you try and push your point. You want to sympathize with me, or let me believe you are sincere with your ‘caring’ words right? Then give me at least this much, please. Please let me be there for her.”

Jaejoong didn’t know how to respond. He should have flat out told her no, but some part of him was soft for her and it made him instead nod his head. “Fine. I’ll take Jang Mi instead.” He said that to get a reaction out of her.

“Thank you.” She said with a genuine smile. It wasn’t the reaction he was looking for, but a smile was nice.

He smiled back and nodded getting up to leave. Something bubbly in Kyra sprang fourth and lightened her mood. As he went to leave she called out to him. “Master?...”

“Yes?” he asked looking back at her.

“You and the guys have a good first day in school tomorrow.” She cracked a half smile. She was actually really glad she would be able to spend time with Alexandria tomorrow, because her sisterly instincts told her that was where she needed to be.

Jaejoong grinned. “Thank you Hana.” And with that he left.

She got up to turn the light off and went back to sleep.

                                     ------------------Jaejoong-----------------------

Jaejoong was grinning to himself like an idiot as he made his way to the fourth floor to Junsu’s room. The guys were having one last group hang out before they had to go back to school. Once he opened the door, he tried to hide his smile, but his demeanor was noticeably different to the group and they all took the opportunity to make fun of him.

“Oh, well look who is looking like a brand new man! Did out Jaejoongie make up with his Favorite Flower?” Yoochun said in a chastising cutesy voice.

“Shut your mouth Yoochun. Where is Changmin?” Jaejoong asked as he sat on Junsu’s bed.

“He’s already sleeping. Which is strange. I wonder what went down with him and the red head.” Junsu chimed in.

“Speaking of strange.” Said Yunho with a knowing look in Junsu’s direction. “I know what I saw earlier. And I have to say… job well done.”

Junsu’s face showed blatant embarrassment as Yunho called him out. This interested Jaejoong greatly. “Wait, what did I miss? What did you see?”

Yunho laughed. “For Junsu’s sake I am not going to disclose that information unless he does it himself.  But turning the tables on you now… how did your rematch go? You know since you failed so hard the first attempt.”

Yoochun and Junsu didn’t hold back their laughter and Jaejoong knew that they already knew of him getting punched in the face by Kyra. “I’m upset you favor Junsu over me with his secrets. Why would you tell the others that I was socked in the jaw?” Jaejoong asked, but judging by the surprised looks on their two faces, he realized that Yunho actually didn’t spill that info and he just ratted on himself. The two of them erupted into laughter, and Jaejoong knew it had to be really funny because Junsu was doing his weird laugh that made everyone else laugh. And soon Junsu’s room was filled with laughter. Once it subsided Yoochun spoke.

“So are you going to tell us what happened then?”

Jaejoong nodded. “It was well actually. I’ll have to be taking Jang Mi instead, but me allowing her to stay home actually brightened her mood some and she wanted us all to have a good day at school tomorrow.” The three other males in the room collectively ‘awed’ at him and Jaejoong flipped them off.

“But Yunho, you mind telling us why the new girl you had decided to just run off after ‘accidently’ finding you feeding on one of your girls?” Junsu asked.

Yunho made a surprised face. “Oh.  Actually guys about that. Sorry if this changes the joyous mood we got going on, but I don’t want a fifth housekeeper.”

Jaejoong Yoochun and Junsu exchanged looks and the air shifted to a slightly uneasy one.

Yoochun was the first to speak. “I understand why you’d feel that way Yunho. But you know if you don’t get a fifth one that means we would have to get rid of our most recent ones right?”

All eyes were on Jaejoong who was making a face; he didn’t say anything however and looked at Yunho.

“Not necessarily, it doesn’t have to be the newest one you’ve gotten. Just whichever one you can live without. And I’m already positive that I don’t want a fifth. But we do need to sort this out before the party next week. Last thing we need is stupid drama over the fact that the leader has less food than his underlings or some like that. I just want to know if that’s okay with you all. I’d have to talk to Changmin about it tomorrow at school though.”

Jaejoong spoke up. “Can we worry about all of this tomorrow? I just want to end the night in a good mood for once, and I thought I’d be able to do that today.”

“Yunho you’re right, the boy is sprung off of her, and he’s too stupid to realize it.” Junsu teased and just like that the mood became lighter as Jaejoong cursed at his friend and tackled him to the floor in a play fight.

 

-------------------

Posted: Originally 3/8/2012 Reposted 3/13/2012

This was a big chapter for me. Number 25. Also. the actual chapter update is 29. So if you've already read this, chapter 28/29 is where you'd want to start.