009

New Faces

 

Seri sighed and stretched her arms as she joined her friends, the customers had left and the children were already picked up by the orphanage.

“I think we’re gonna have to close earlier,” Soojin stated, Seri sat down and leaned back on her seat.

“I had fun today.” She announced, Sehun glanced at her and gestured for her to fix her shirt.

“Are you sure? You look tired.” Soojin told the girl, Seri chuckled and shook her head.

“Trust me, this is better than having to deal with work. At least here, I get to move around. And, meet other people.” Seri mused, Soojin laughed.

“Corporate life kills.” Soojin said jokingly, Seri raised both of her thumbs.

“I agree.”

Sehun picked up the pitcher of water and poured them some, Soojin rubbed her palms together and his eyes went to the vents.

“Did you ever get your heater checked?” Sehun spoke, he did notice that the shop was quite cold.

“I called someone a few days ago, maintenance never got around to check on it.” Soojin replied as she took a quick sip from her glass, Seri looked at her friend. Sehun nodded back, he was about to speak when Ahyoung came marching towards them.

“I have to go.” She announced, Soojin turned to her.

“Now? I thought we were grabbing dinner together, Seri said~”

“I know, I’m really sorry. But, he’s flying in tonight, and I said I’d pick him up.” Ahyoung said with a smile, Seri’s brows went up.

“Him?” She echoed, Ahyoung turned to her and nodded.

“Boyfriend.” Soojin said, her tone flat, Sehun smiled and looked away. Seri nodded back and grinned.

“Be careful on your way out, Ahyoung-ah.” She said, the girl bid them goodbye and left the shop.

“So, it’s just us three for dinner, what do you have in mind?” Seri spoke as she looked at Soojin, Sehun stood up and wandered towards the air vents, his forehead creasing.

“Oh Sehun. Let it go. Just call someone.” Seri spoke without looking at him, Soojin’s brows went up, amused.

“I mean, if this goes on it will only grow colder and people might get sick.” He spoke, Soojin stood up and walked towards him.

“It’s going to snow soon too, Seri, can you~” Sehun suddenly turned, he halted when he realized that Soojin was standing right next to him. And that his nose almost brushed against the side of her head when he moved.

“It’s quite chilly in here, huh?” Soojin looked up to meet his gaze, Sehun swallowed and nodded back.

“I—I’ll send someone to check on it.” Sehun stuttered before jogging back to a grinning Seri.

 

 

“He’s busier than me, so, off he goes.” Seri commented as the R8 sped away from the building.

“I feel bad, he’s a busy man and yet he had to spend his time here.” Soojin spoke, Seri shook her head.

“We usually take some time off, we can’t always be working, right?”

“You own the company, Seri, of course you can take the time off.”

“Sure, says Hyundai’s only daughter.” She shot back, Soojin laughed and slapped her arm.

“So, where should we eat dinner?”

“You’re really hungry, huh?”

“I am very open about my hunger.” Seri explained, Soojin smiled and picked up her bag.

“You used to be so cute back then, this is new.” She replied, Seri pursed her lips and helped her arranged the chairs.

“You used to hang out with guys too. I mean, only you only had guy friends. I mean, I’m not judging you.”

“I know.”

“Getting along with girls is difficult, huh?” Soojin turned to her as she grabbed the keys from the counter, Seri smiled.

“How could you read me so well, miss Jung?” She mused as the two stepped out of the shop and Soojin locked up the steel blinds.

“We’ve known each other for seven years now, and this is the most we’ve talked, Seri.”

Seri paused, she blinked at the girl and they both started to laugh.

“Well, I guess this calls for a round of drinks!” Soojin said, Seri’s brows went up.

Drinks?

“I—I don’t drink. Sorry.” She spoke as she took out her car key, Soojin turned to the girl, surprised.

“You don’t?”

“Yeah. Wrong friend.” She raised her shoulders, Soojin chuckled and nodded.

“Well, barbecue, yes?” Soojin suggested as Seri unlocked Ferrari.

“Yes. Beef?” Seri added, her tone hopeful.

“Beef over pork. Got it.”

 

 

Jinyoung broke into a smile as a familiar face appeared amongst the crowd, he opened one arm to give the girl a quick hug.

“You didn’t have to come pick me up. It’s quite late.” Jinyoung spoke as his secretary took his bags from him.

“I figured we should get dinner together. Aren’t you hungry?” She asked him as the male took her hand.

“I am, I thought Soojin came with you.”

“Soojin’s busy, besides, some of our friends came over to help.”

“Friends?” Jinyoung repeated as they reached the waiting Range Rover, he gestured for Ahyoung to get in.

“Friends from college.” She replied, Jinyoung pushed the door close and got on the driver’s seat.

“How was China?” Ahyoung asked as he started the car, the latter sighed.

“China was work. A lot of work.” He sighed at her, she smiled and patted his hand.

“I thought you were going to meet up with a friend, that didn’t push through?” She asked him as he drove away from the airport property, Jinyoung nodded.

“We met up, but only for a meal. It was really hectic, how about we get takeout and have it at home, will that be okay?”

“You’re tired, huh?” Ahyoung said to him, Jinyoung sighed and nodded back.

“It was a long two, almost, three weeks. And, besides, I know you’d rather eat at home.”

 

 

“Ah, so Ahyoung is seeing someone.” Seri repeated, Soojin nodded back as she flipped the meat on the grill.

“Then, what about you?”

“I never…I never really had the time for it, I mean, I’ve always had other things to do.” Soojin trailed off, Seri pursed her lips and pushed the plate nearer to the other girl. She heard her phone ping in her purse and she took it out.

“Is it work?” Soojin asked playfully, Seri looked up and chuckled.

“Kind of? Suho oppa just texted me that he’d be flying home tomorrow.”

Soojin nodded back at the girl as she started to transfer strips of the cooked meat to the plate.

“Shin Seri and her close ties to the Samsung family.” Soojin recited, the girl before her paused.

“The other day at the mall, I heard some ladies talk about you when you left me to get something to drink.”

“I wouldn’t exactly call them ties, I grew up with them. It was like, I am required to get along with them.” She said jokingly, Soojin grinned.

“How about you? I’m surprised your parents have not yet dragged you to work for for Hyundai yet.”

Soojin shook her head and put some meat on Seri’s bowl.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but…working with them means having to put up with society, Seri.”

“Society?” She echoed, Soojin nodded back.

“I don’t think I can be in that environment, that’s why I opened the shop. I’ve always wanted to start something that’s wholly mine.”

“Society can be intense, I agree with you on that.” Seri told her, Soojin smiled and poured her a shot of soju.

Seri blinked at the girl, she reached for the cup hesitantly.

“That’s why I have no plans of ever joining or even mingling with~”

“Sorry for being late, traffic was bad.” A familiar voice chimed in, Soojin looked up and watched as Sehun slid on to the seat across her. He took off his jacket and hung it on the chair, he ran his fingers through his hair and looked at their table.

“You have no plans mingling with who?” Sehun asked as he took the chopsticks from her and started to flip the meat, Soojin blinked and looked at Seri instead.

“Society boys. She’d rather not deal with society boys.” Seri said as she looked at the friend challengingly.

“But, Soojin-ah,” Seri begun as she sneakily pushed the glass of soju away from her plate.

“Some society boys are worth it.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++