40th

Falling All In You

Jennie places a pillow over her eyes to block the sunlight peeking through her slightly ajar curtains. It was past 10 o'clock in the morning, but she got no energy to get up, nor to even close the curtain. It was only when her stomach started growling that made her sat up on her bed.

 

It has been two weeks. Christmas vacation started a few days ago, but she really didn't know what to do during this break. The only times she went out were when she had a shoot for some magazine, and recently a shoot with Calvin Klein. Other than that, she's trying to spend most of her time at home, either watching Netflix, or shoo-ing Jisoo away whenever the girl would bug her trying to show her the girl's glow-in-the-dark underwear.

 

She's starting to believe her bestfriend's an alien.

 

But yeah, she's never been fond of Christmas anyway, and it's not like she'll be celebrating it with someone this year, so.

 

Well, actually, she did plan celebrating it with a certain someone. But that wouldn't be possible anymore. Because the girl hates her now.

 

Which reminds her, that it's also been two weeks since the last time she tried to talk to Chaeyoung. After that rainy night, she stopped bugging her. She kept her promise to Jisoo. Jennie has grown to realize that maybe they really need some good- space to think on their own. Trying to force things while they're both hurting wouldn't solve anything. So she stopped.

 

She just didn't know if this is gonna be just some time of rest...or if this is really the end for them.

 

Jennie lightly slaps her cheeks with her palms. Too much thoughts in the morning makes her head ache. Her stomach started growling again, and she forces herself to get up and walk to the kitchen.

 

'Milk and cereal will do, I guess', she mumbles to herself as she approaches the kitchen.

 

But she paused in the doorway when she saw a person she's not expecting to see inside the kitchen at this time of the day, wearing an apron, cooking god-knows-what.

 

"Oh, hey, Jen. You're up early", her father started when he noticed her, emphasizing the sarcasm.

 

Jennie just rolled her eyes before walking past him to open the fridge. She take out a carton of milk and pours herself a glass.

 

"I figured you're already hungry so I cooked some pancakes and bacon", Chairman Kim spoke again while flipping a pancake on the pan, "This will be done soon. Take your seat."

 

The brunette gulps a half-full of the milk before snickering, "What makes you think I'll eat that?"

 

"Oh, come on, I know you're hungry. Butler Jung said you didn't leave your room last night to have dinner, so I'm positive you're really hungry right now."

 

Jennie purses her lips and subtly takes a peek at the pan, and felt her stomach grumbling again. Damn this.

 

Chairman Kim chuckled when the girl didn't answer, "You hate it that I'm right, I know. Take a seat and stop being a stubborn baby."

 

She lets out an annoyed rumble, but nonetheless pulls out a stool and slumped on the counter, "Why are you still even here?"

 

The man started placing the pancakes on the plates, along with the utensils, "My London trip got delayed last week. Had to fix things in Seoul Headquarters first."

 

"And why are you here cooking?", she asked again, "I can't believe I'll get to see the great Chairman Kim inside the kitchen holding a spatula."

 

The brunette held her glare as her father sets the breakfast on the table, giving him a skeptic look.

 

"I'm feeling like a chef today, so", the man flashes her a grin.

 

"You only cooked pancakes and you're calling yourself a chef?"

 

"You're no fun, Jen. You'll get old early", Chairman Kim jokes, earning another eye roll from the girl, "Kidding aside, though, can't I cook breakfast for my precious small bean now?"

 

"I'm not that small!"

 

"Sure, kiddo."

 

The man takes one more plate and places it on the table before settling on the seat across hers, "I also cooked some dumplings. Because I know you're missing them."

 

Chairman Kim flashes her a knowing look. And Jennie knew that her father knows. In all honesty, it sometimes amazes her how even though her father was away most of her life, he still knows much about her. Either he monitors her for the sake of their family's name...or he truly cares about her.

 

"When was the last time we had a meal together?", he asked while pouring some maple syrup over his pancake, "It's been so long, huh."

 

Jennie just stared at her plate before replying a small, "Yeah."

 

"The pancakes won't disappear magically just by staring at them, Jen", he chuckles, "Go on and eat."

 

She glares at him for the nth time before taking a fork, poking a piece of dumpling and brings it to .

 

'Not bad', was what she thought while munching.

 

"I knew you miss dumplings. So I cooked some", he commented as he takes a bite, "They're not as good as Chaeyoung's, though."

 

Jennie halted upon hearing the name, and she looks up at her father to see him wearing a concerned look.

 

"I heard about what happened", he said.

 

"Of course you do", she shrugs before taking a slice into .

 

"What are you planning to do now?"

 

"Nothing? She made it clear that she doesn't have anything to do with me anymore."

 

They went silent for a moment, before Chairman Kim spoke again, "Giving her space was the maturest thing you have done, you know."

 

Jennie arches a brow, "What do you mean?"

 

"You know, you were used to getting things easily. When you want something, you get it in a snap. You're stubborn, and impatient, and hard-headed."

 

"Are you trying to insult me now?"

 

"No, I'm stating a fact", he sips on his coffee, "That was the Jennie I knew. So I'm surprised how you suppressed the urge to tail her and bug her until she comes back to you."

 

Jennie clicks her tongue, "That was me being a coward. That was me giving up on her easily."

 

"No, kiddo", he wags a finger at her, "That was you being brave enough to accept that not all things can be solved using force. Sometimes, we really have to distance ourselves and gave them much needed space so we won't end up hurting them again. Remember, you cannot mend her broken heart if yours is just as broken. You both have to heal on your own."

 

The brunette looks down at her plate and stuffed another piece into , refusing to reply to what her father had said.

 

"And you did. You gave her time. You respected her space", he lifted his fork in the air, "And that's maturity."

 

"Why are we having this father-daughter talk as if we're close?"

 

"I just cooked you breakfast and we're still not close?? I'm offended Lady Jennie", the man clutches his chest dramatically.

 

"The dumplings taste bland, though."

 

"You're just used to Chaengmunk's dumplings. You wait until I open a dumpling store and beat them."

 

Jennie bites back a chuckle at that. This isn't as bad as she thought.

 

"Going back to the topic, though. I hope you don't fully give up on her", he spoke again, "When things have finally cooled down, I hope you still find your way to each other."

 

The brunette gave her father side-eyes, "Are you a Chaennie shipper, too?"

 

"Why yes. Butler Jung's been telling me that", he laughed, "Seriously, though. I'll disown you if you don't pursue Chaeyoung again."

 

"I— what??"

 

"Why? Do you wanna get engaged with JYK Enterprise CEO's son?"

 

Jennie shudders when she remembers those old business tycoons at the party who wanted her as their daughter-in-law.

 

"Hell no!", she blurted.

 

"Well, then, you better not give up on Chaeyoung. I like that girl", the man resumes eating his breakfast.

 

"I told you, she doesn't have anything to do with me anymore."

 

"That was weeks ago, Jen. Maybe she already cleared up her mind and reconsider things."

 

"And what makes you think she'll accept me again?"

 

"Because...just because", he shrugs with a smile.

 

"What?"

 

"I just know she won't give up on you, too. She made a promise."

 

"I— what's with you and your promises to each other?? You just met once and you already had promises??", the brunette ranted.

 

"Yeah, we only met once, but that was enough for me to know that she's the one for you", he grinned cheekily.

 

"And what if she's not?", she poked her pancake with the fork.

 

"Then I'll disown you. It better be Chaeyoung that you're going to marry", Chairman Kim emphasized, "I'll be leaving for London tomorrow. And when I come home next month, I want you guys back together."

 

"I— I'm so done with you."

 

Jennie rolled her eyes again at her smirking father. She wasn't expecting this conversation with the man. Hell, she wasn't even expecting him to see inside the kitchen cooking pancakes for her. But she must admit, with this talk, something has changed. 

 

Something lighter and...surprisingly well.

 

"There's just one thing bothering me right now, though", she told him.

 

"What is?"

 

Jennie gave her father a smile for the very first time, "You're still wearing your apron."

 

~•~

 

“Are all orders ready, Chaeyoung-ah?”

 

The tall blonde heard her mom asked from the kitchen.

 

“Ah yes, mom”, she zips up the delivery bag and wears it on her back, “I’ll be going now.”

 

“Alright, drive safely, Chaeng!”

 

Chaeyoung hops on her scooter after securing her helmet, takes a quick look at the delivery list, and started strolling down the road to deliver the orders.

 

This has been Chaeyoung’s christmas break so far. Just like every other vacation, she volunteered to be in charge of the delivery so she could help with the operation of their store. It’s not as if there are other things that she’ll be doing anyway. So she chose to keep herself busy to stray her mind away from...some things.

 

They’re three weeks away from Christmas but she’s not feeling it yet. She used to be excited for the occasion. Planning and buying decorations to put in their small abode. But this time, she couldn’t bring herself to hype Christmas.

 

She feels...empty.

 

“Thank you so much”, she told the customer and dips her head in a small bow after delivering the 6th order.

 

She takes out her list and crosses out the name. Now, she’s down to the last order. A certain Miss Kim of Le Manoir. 

 

Chaeyoung had to double check if the address was correct. Le Manoir is some fancy high-end apartment in Seoul. Only the richest of the rich can afford to purchase a unit at that apartment.

 

‘Why would someone from that place order dumplings from our store?’, was what Chaeyoung thought as she starts her engine and made her way to the bustling district of Seoul.

 

She arrived at the place in less than ten minutes, and parked her obviously out of place scooter beside some fancy wheels. She takes out the paper bag from the delivery bag and proceeds to the entrance.

 

“Um, Roseanne Park from Chaengmunk’s dumplings. Delivery for Miss Kim of 33rd floor”, she timidly told the receptionist.

 

The woman in the front desk did some typing on her computer before saying, “Ah, yes, she was expecting you. Please proceed to elevator number 3.”

 

“Uh but, may I know the room number? ‘Cos she didn’t state it in her address”, she asked, waving the address list in hand.

 

“Just 33rd floor. You’ll know when you get there”, the receptionist answered with a smile.

 

She was weirded out by that, but nonetheless takes the elevator and presses the 33rd button. Her ears were ringing when she reached the floor, and she almost didn’t want to step out when the elevator door opens and the first thing she saw was a spacious living room.

 

The hell is this?

 

There was no hallway, no doors whatsoever. When you step out of the elevator, it’s a whole- apartment unit already. Whoever her customer is, owns a whole freaking floor. And it scares her.

 

“Um, excuse me?”, she called out to no one while carefully taking steps towards the living room.

 

There were a few doors which Chaeyoung guesses as rooms. And not long after, she heard one of the doors opened, and a figure wearing purple pajamas came out.

 

Wait-

 

“Jisoo?”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes went a little wider in surprise upon seeing the girl. Was she the one who ordered—

 

“Hi, Rosie. How’ve you been?”, Jisoo greeted with a smile while leaning casually against one of the chairs in the dining.

 

“Were you the one who ordered dumplings??”, she asked in a slightly higher pitch.

 

“Yes, it was me”, the shorter girl tosses a wink before walking towards her, “Can I have it? I’m starving.”

 

Chaeyoung hesitantly handed her the paper bag, still in disbelief.

 

“You own a whole floor?”

 

“Well, I own the whole apartment, but yeah, that can do too.”

 

The taller girl was surprised that she’s even surprised about that.

 

“Join me? Let’s share”, Jisoo lifted the bag before walking back to the dining.

 

“Why?”, the tall blonde asked, not moving from her ground.

 

“Hm? I’m...hungry?”

 

“I wasn’t born yesterday, Jisoo. I know you’re not after the dumplings”, she firmly stated.

 

Jisoo lets out a knowing smile before settling on the chair, “Okay, you got me. I actually wanted to talk to you.”

 

Chaeyoung raises a brow. She has an idea on what this talk could be about.

 

“Chu, if this is about—”

 

“Have a seat first? We can’t talk if you’re standing there”, the shorter girl gestures to the chair across hers.

 

“I really don’t have time for this.”

 

“I won’t take up much of your time. Give me a few minutes?”

 

Chaeyoung stared at the girl and this time, she seems sincere. Still the sly-looking Jisoo, but more sincere. She could only heave out a sigh before stepping towards the dining, plopping on the chair across Jisoo’s.

 

“Now, what?”

 

“Wait, can I eat first? I’m really hungry”, Jisoo requested before taking out the dumpling containers from the paper bag.

 

“Kim Jisoo, I swear to god—”

 

Her words were cut when they heard the room door opened again, and a woman, whom Chaeyoung doesn’t know, stepped out of the room.

 

“I’m leaving”, the woman told Jisoo while fixing the buttons of her blouse, “Give me a call, Jisoo.”

 

She tosses a flirtatious wink before walking to the elevator, and disappeared.

 

Chaeyoung had slightly agape when she turned back to the shorter girl, “Who the hell was that?”

 

Jisoo just shrugs, “Some girl I picked up in the bar. Don’t mind her.”

 

The blonde could only shake her head. Notorious Casanova.

 

“So, what now?”, she asked again.

 

Jisoo takes out a piece of dumpling and stuffed it in , “You really make the best dumplings in town.”

 

Chaeyoung could feel her braincells popping out as she watches the girl munch, “Why did you need to order dumplings when you just wanted to talk to me?”

 

The girl looks up at her, “Well, I figured you won’t talk to me if I just randomly show up at your door, so.”

 

“So you made me come here?”

 

“Yeah? It worked, didn’t it?”, Jisoo flashes a grin before taking another bite.

 

“So what is it that you want to talk about?”

 

“Well, actually...”, Jisoo cleared and straightens her face.

 

“Wait...I can’t take you seriously with that pajamas”, Chaeyoung said while pointing to her outfit.

 

“Um, excuse me, but what is wrong with my pajamas?”

 

“They’re violet. Your hair is violet. And you look like a small eggplant.”

 

“I—”

 

Chaeyoung purses her lips before continuing, “Okay, so what do you want to talk about?”

 

Jisoo playfully rolls her eyes before starting, “It’s about Jennie.”

 

Chaeyoung’s not surprised. It was expected.

 

“I know.”

 

The shorter girl nodded, “I know you’re mad at her. Mad at what she’s done. But I can’t just sit around and let my bestfriend take all the blame for that.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It was all my idea, Rosie. Well, that was my way. She didn’t want to, but I kind of pushed the idea to her. So if there’s one to blame, that’s me”, Jisoo leans back on her chair.

 

“Look, Jisoo. No matter whoever’s idea it was, what’s done is done”, she answered sharply, “It won’t change anything.”

 

“Yeah, but I did it for a reason.”

 

Chaeyoung arches a brow, “What reason?”

 

“I suggested the plan to Jennie not because I wanted to help her get her revenge, but because I wanted to help her experience...love.”

 

The blonde stared at the girl in perplexity, “What the hell are you talking about?”

 

“You know how Jennie never experienced love before you came, right? She was so uptight. And well, conceited. So when you came barging into the picture with your fierce personality, the first thing I thought was that, Jennie finally found her match”, the shorter girl stated.

 

“So what are you, a cupid?”

 

“Did you fall for her? Did she fall for you?”, Jisoo asked, “If the answer is yes, then maybe I am a cupid. But this isn’t about me.”

 

Chaeyoung heaves out a breath, “Why are you telling me this.”

 

“Because you’re both making it difficult for yourselves. I admit her inital intention was wrong, and my way of pushing my intention was just as wrong. But everything that comes after that...it was you and Jennie. It was you two.”

 

Chaeyoung didn’t answer. So Jisoo continued...

 

“You may think that everything has just been a lie. But if you’re just going to focus on the only thing that’s true, you’ll know that it’s your and Jennie’s feelings for each other. You know your feelings are real.”

 

“Jisoo, I’m so confu...”

 

“People make mistakes, Rosie. I thought you knew that? Jennie made a mistake and she’s regretting it so bad. But she cannot change the past. If she could, she would, just so you won’t get hurt like this”, Jisoo paused for a moment, “It’s frustrating to see how two people, who are very much inlove with each other, hurt themselves just because they chose to focus on that one stupid mistake and not on their true feelings.”

 

Chaeyoung looks down at her lap and felt herself tearing up again. She thought she’s over this. But Jisoo’s words just stabbed her at the right places. 

 

“You know Jennie loves you. And I know you do, too. So what else is holding you back?”

 

The blonde looks up at the shorter girl, “I...I’m afraid she might’ve given up on me already after pushing her away so many times.”

 

Jisoo clicks her tongue and shakes her head, “That stubborn midget doesn’t know how to give up.”

 

“You’re not tall enough to argue.”

 

“I— really, Rosie?? This is how you thank me for knocking some sense on your brain?”, Jisoo playfully glares at her before bringing another dumpling into .

 

“You think it’s not too late?”, Chaeyoung asked in uncertainty.

 

“You were each other’s first love, Rosie. And as cliché as it sounds, first love never dies, ya know?”

 

“That was so old...and corny”, she mocks, “But I think you’re right.”

 

“When was I ever wrong?”, Jisoo lets out a chuckle to lift up the mood, “Kidding. By the way, how much for the dumplings?”

 

“Nah, it’s on the house.”

 

“For real? But I ordered a lot.”

 

“Don’t complain, or I’ll charge you triple.”

 

“Why are you always harsh on me, Rosieee.”

 

“Shut up, eggplant.”

 

~•~

 

 

I just realized we’re already on our 40th chapter, and as much as I’m sad to say this, but we’re nearing the end of the story. 🥺 So hang in there, guys. There’s always a rainbow after the rain, right?

 

And oh, don’t forget to stream ‘Ice Cream’! I’ll see you tomorrow! ❤️