38th

Falling All In You

The following school day was hard for Chaeyoung. She has cried so much last night that she couldn't open her eyes in the morning. Especially after she told her parents what happened. She wasn't actually planning to tell them, but her puffy eyes were so obvious, and the moment her mom asked her what the problem is, she instantly bawled her eyes out again.

 

But she needs to attend school. As much as she hates the idea of seeing and bumping into Jennie, she needs to finish her classes until the Christmas break. Two more weeks. She can do that.

 

So she mustered all the strength left in her body and started preparing for school. This ain't the end of the world. She needs to get herself together and move on. She can do that. She can move on.

 

Or at least that's what she thought.

 

Chaeyoung drove to school feeling like a robot. As if her movements were forced and calculated. She didn't get to appreciate the gush of wind hitting her face as she strolls down the road. Nor the view of the bustling town she grew up in. She was not the ball of sunshine that she used to be today.

 

She's just another person trying to make it through the day, despite the pain that she was carrying.

 

Chaeyoung thought she could pass this day without thinking of Jennie and what ever happened the other day. But the moment she stepped inside their lecture room and sat on her chair, the twins already had their eyes on her, worried and baffled.

 

"Chaeng?", Yin carefully asked beside her, "Did you cry?"

 

Damn her eyes that couldn't hide the truth.

 

"Uh, no...I mean", she tried to deny, but her eyes were failing her, "I mean...a little, yes."

 

"A little? Chaeng, your eyes are swollen", Yang blurted, which earned a nudge from his brother.

 

"Hey, um...did something happen?", Yin asked again, "You don't have to answer, but you know you can always tell us."

 

Chaeyoung turned to the twins and nodded appreciatively. She's not really in the mood to talk about it, but the concern in their eyes softens her, and maybe the heaviness in her chest could be lifted even a little if she tells them.

 

"It's...Jennie", she replied shortly, "We...um...we're over, I guess."

 

The twins were obviously shocked with the news. But their worry just heightened.

 

"What? Why? What happened? Did she cheat on you?", Yang blurted again, but quieter this time so their classmates won't hear.

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head, "No...but, she...well, she lied to me..."

 

The two guys tilted their heads in confusion, totally intrigued.

 

"What do you mean she lied to you?"

 

She heaves out a sigh before answering, "It was all just a game. When she befriended me, it was just pretend. She planned to make me fall for her so she could break my heart in the process. So that she could have the revenge she's always wanted."

 

The twins were speechless. They've been really skeptical about Jennie's peace-making in the first place, and they were honestly thinking that the girl was up to no good. Turns out they're right.

 

"That motherfuc—"

 

Yin nudged her brother again, harder this time.

 

"Chaeng, remember what we always tell you before? That we were really skeptical about Jennie being all nice to you all of a sudden?", Yin said, "I can't believe we're right."

 

"Yeah, I know, I should've listened to you. Guess I just had a little more faith in humanity back then", she sighs again.

 

"But do you know why we were doubting Jennie before?", Yin's face turned even more serious.

 

"Why?"

 

"Because of Jisoo."

 

Chaeyoung lifted a brow at that, "What do you mean?"

 

"That's definitely Jisoo's way. It's her trademark. I...", Yin paused for a moment before continuing, "I've been her victim once."

 

Chaeyoung's puffy eyes went wide at the revelation, "What?"

 

Yin could only scratch the back of his neck, "Yeah, I didn't know it before. I was a freshman. Young and naive. So I easily fell for her trap."

 

Yang rubs her brother's back, but the younger just nudged him again.

 

"So that's why you're..." 

 

"Yeah, that's why I loathe them very much", Yin nodded, "I can't believe Jennie's going to do that, though. I mean, to that extent. 'Cos it's definitely not her style. She must've been really pissed off at you before."

 

Chaeyoung looks down at her lap and fiddles with her fingers. She honestly doesn't know what to think anymore.

 

She felt a hand over her shoulder, and she turned her head back at the guy.

 

"I can't say everything's going to be okay, 'cos I know it's not. I've felt what you're feeling. And that actually . I want to strangle Jennie now for hurting you."

 

"Count me in. Let's pluck all her small teeth out, brother", Yang seconded.

 

Chaeyoung lets out a soft-humorless chuckle before shaking her head, "Let's just let her be. I'll just...try to move on from all of this."

 

"What ever happened to the fighter Chaeyoung we knew?"

 

"All of this happened because I fought back. And now I've learned my lesson", Chaeyoung curls her lips in a sad smile, one that didn't reach her eyes, "Not in all circumstances must I fight back. 'Cos some things are better ignored than fought."

 

Yin gave her shoulder a light pat, "We're here for you, Chaeng. If you ever change your mind and decided you want to strangle Jennie, we got your back."

 

She chuckles, "Thanks, Yin. But I'll be fine."

 

"I'm so mad right now, though. I want to throw her to the ocean and feed her to the piranhas", Yang butted in with crossed brows.

 

The conversation ended at that when their professor entered the room. And Chaeyoung silently thanked that. She doesn't want to talk about it anymore. She doesn't want to hear Jennie's name. It just saddens her more because that name used to bring smile to her face.

 

Used to.

 

~•~

 

Chaeyoung was walking alone in the corridor after her afternoon class ended. She's extra exhausted, and her puffy eyes get heavier each second because of lack of sleep. She just wanted to throw her body on her bed and rest.

 

She was near the parking area when she felt something moving behind her. She doesn't know if it's because of drowsiness or someone's really following her from behind.

 

She hastened her steps, but she felt the person walked faster as well. Until she could feel them right at her back.

 

Chaeyoung swallows her fear and stopped on her tracks to turn around. She was expecting some crazy bullies like before, but what met her was worse than that.

 

It's the person she wanted to see the least.

 

Jennie.

 

"Hey, Chaeng", the brunette forces a smile.

 

Chaeyoung just gave her a look before turning around and resuming to walk. But Jennie catches up to her and tries to block her way.

 

"Hey, um...have you eaten?", the shorter girl asked out of nowhere, "I brought your favorite kimchi stew. And pizza! You love pineapples on pizza, right?"

 

The brunette lifted the bento box on her left hand, and the box of pizza on her right.

 

"Let's eat? Before the stew gets cold", Jennie looks at her with an awkward smile and hopeful eyes.

 

"What are you doing, Jennie?", she asks her with a straight face.

 

"Uh, inviting you to eat? I brought your favorites—"

 

"Didn't I already make it clear? I don't have anything to do with you anymore, Jennie."

 

Chaeyoung tried so hard to sound indifferent. But she knew she's just trying to convince herself than Jennie.

 

"But...the kimchi stew...it'll get cold if we—"

 

And Jennie was also trying so hard not to look affected. In hopes that if she acts as if nothing has happened, then they'll go back to normal.

 

"Jennie, please. Just stop this", Chaeyoung stressed every word, before walking past the brunette again.

 

But Jennie follows her still, and blocks her way.

 

"Did you just say no to kimchi stew and pineapple pizza? That's not the Chaeyoung I know", Jennie forces another smile, "Come on, Chaeng."

 

"Jennie."

 

"Chaeng, Let's...let's just go back to normal please."

 

The brunette's once hopeful eyes were starting to grow faint, but she can't give up just yet. She can't give up on Chaeyoung.

 

"I'll do anything. I mean it. I'll literally do anything. Just...", Jennie was trying hard to swallow her tears, "Just please come back to me."

 

Chaeyoung wants to go. She wants to walk away. Because seeing Jennie like this hurts her more. And she's afraid if she stays around her a little longer, she'll give in and take her back right there and then.

 

But she can't do that. She shouldn't do that. The girl hurt her. She broke her trust. And she shouldn't put her trust back on someone who already broke it. That's...unfair.

 

"You know we can't go back to normal anymore, Jen", she shakes her head.

 

"Then what should I do? Tell me please", Jennie's starting to lose her cool, "I know I can never change the past, but I'll do anything to gain back your trust. Chaeng..."

 

"Nothing you do will bring us back to normal", the tall blonde tried to steady her voice, "I've made up my mind. So please stop."

 

She started walking again. But Jennie just had to be persistent, and stopped her.

 

"Chaeyoung, come on, we can still make it work."

 

Chaeyoung was done. 

 

She turned around and faced the brunette one last time, "You said you'll do anything, right?"

 

The brunette nodded expectantly.

 

"Then do me a favor and leave me alone."

 

Chaeyoung, then, ran away from the brunette.

 

This time, Jennie didn't stop her. She just watched as the blonde runs far away from her, until she couldn't see her figure anymore.

 

She's sure by now that the stew has gotten cold...and so was Chaeyoung.

 

~•~

 

 

I felt sad while writing this short update ☹️ It makes me wanna update again tomorrow.

 

Anyways, I published a new story but it still has no specific schedule of update. But if you wanna check out the prologue, you can find it in my profile. The title’s Message In A Bottle 😊 Thank you!