22nd

Falling All In You

Chaeyoung didn't know how Jennie's small body managed to carry her from the camp all the way to the entrance road. She doesn't want to think much either, as the excruciating pain on her left foot gets worse and worse every single minute. So she just lets Jennie even though she could see how the girl was struggling to carry her weight.

 

They're already infront of Jennie's car, when a familiar voice called out from behind.

 

"Nini!"

 

The brunette turns to her back to find Lisa who was slightly panting trying to catch up to them.

 

"You forgot your keys", the younger girl said before tossing the keys to her, which she immediately caught.

 

Jennie clicks her tongue. She couldn't believe she impulsively walked out the scene, causing her to forget her keys.

 

"We'll bring your and Rosie's belongings. We're ditching this camp as well", Lisa added and gestures an okay sign.

 

"Thanks, Lili", Jennie nodded in appreciation.

 

Lisa then ran back to the trail to get Jisoo and their things.

 

Jennie turns back to unlock her car and carefully places Chaeyoung on the passenger seat. She securely buckles the seat belt for the girl, reaches for her spare jacket at the back seat and covers it around Chaeyoung, before she hops on the driver's seat and sped away.

 

The blonde melted at the gesture, but tried not to show it. It was a quiet drive for the both of them. Chaeyoung wants to say something but she was distracted. Firstly, by her left foot. And secondly, by Jennie's right hand.

 

Her eyes fell on their entwined hands, and she flusters immediately. Why on earth is Jennie Kim holding her hand while driving?

 

"Is the pain persisting?" the brunette asked and spares her a glance.

 

Chaeyoung snapped from her trance, "Um, yes. I think it's gotten worse."

 

She saw Jennie pursed her lips and furrows her brows looking so troubled.

 

"Don't worry, we're almost there", the girl assured her, and gave her hand a soft squeeze.

 

That sent some sort of electricity to Chaeyoung and she was flustered again. Their hands aren't just simply touching. They're freaking intertwined. Jennie's actions are confusing her big time, but she's more confused with herself as to why she's letting the girl confuse her.

 

She shakes off her thoughts when she felt her foot throb in pain again.

 

"Uh, Jen?" she asked when she finally found her tongue.

 

"Hm?"

 

"I assume you forgot that we have paramedics at the camp?"

 

Jennie freezes and looks at her in held up realization, "I- forgot..."

 

The brunette curses under her breath. She really forgot about the paramedics team because panic took over her and all she could think about was Chaeyoung. How her usually bright face contorted in pain, and how tears fell down from her beautiful orbs.

 

She doesn't want Chaeyoung to get hurt. She wanted to ease Chaeyoung's pain away. She wanted to—

 

"I'm sorry, it totally slipped my mind", she said and sped up the engine, "But we're almost there, just a little mo—"

 

"Hey, Jen. It's okay", Chaeyoung said and gives her a soft smile.

 

Jennie could only smile back, but the trouble in her face is still there.

 

Few more minutes and they reached the large hospital in the boundary of Seoul. The nurses immediately attended to Chaeyoung and places her carefully in a wheelchair, with Jennie tailing her behind. They brought her to a private room, where her left foot was checked by the attending doctor. 

 

Jennie was demanding and bossy, and Chaeyoung couldn't count how many times she scolded the girl to calm down, but the worry in the brunette's eyes were serious, and she doesn't exactly know what to feel.

 

After giving her first aid, and after wrapping an elastic bandage around her foot, the doctor instructed them of several things.

 

"Fortunately, it was just a minor sprained ankle, Miss Park", the doctor started, "Tend your left foot with cold compress at least every 20 minutes, and make sure to give proper elevation."

 

Chaeyoung and Jennie nodded.

 

"Though, I advise you to refrain from any activity. If you force your foot to walk, the swelling may get worse. So stay at home until your foot is fully recovered. Don't worry, usually it only takes a week or so for a sprained ankle to heal", the doctor added.

 

"What? So I can't go to school?" Chaeyoung asked with a hint of panic.

 

"No, Miss Park. You'll have to wait until the swelling stops and you can normally move your foot again without feeling any pain", the doctor scibbles something on her notepad, "I'll give you tablets for the swelling and pain so it'll heal faster."

 

Chaeyoung turns to Jennie with a pout. Their midterm exams' only three weeks away. If she doesn't go to school, she'll miss a week or so's lecture.

 

Damn that girl, whatever her name is. Chaeyoung's not really familiar with the names of her classmates since she's only talking to Yin and Yang. Well, it's not as if her classmates would want to talk to her anyway.

 

"Here you go, Miss Park", the doctor hands her the prescription together with a small packet containing the meds, "Take extra care of your foot, okay? For now, you may go home and rest."

 

"Thanks, doc", Chaeyoung politely bowed.

 

Jennie then turns to push the wheelchair she was sitting on after bidding goodbye to the doctor, and they head outside.

 

"Wait—" Chaeyoung blurts all of a sudden as they were nearing the exit, "What about the payment? The doctor didn't ask for a payment?"

 

The brunette shakes her head and continues to push her through the exit and towards her car, "Jisoo's family owns this hospital. It's on us."

 

Chaeyoung could only mutter a soft 'oh'. She didn't argue anymore because just by judging at how fancy the hospital looks, she surely won't be able to even pay for the bandage.

 

Jennie again places her carefully on the passenger seat once their reached the car. Chaeyoung doesn't want to think much, but why does she feel like it's a natural thing whenever the brunette will carry her or something?

 

'Gosh, the pain on my foot is making me think things', she reasoned in her mind.

 

"You heard the doctor, right?" Jennie spoke once she's settled on the driver's seat and started the engine, "You need to rest your foot. Meaning, you'll have to skip school for a week, or until your foot gets better."

 

She turns to the brunette, "But exams week is coming! I need to attend the lectures."

 

"No, buts, Chaeyoung. If you force your foot, you won't be able to walk forever."

 

"What??" the blonde gasps in horror.

 

"Kidding", Jennie starts driving, "But still! No walking and excessive physical activity until your foot gets better."

 

Chaeyoung could only pout. She knows the brunette is right. By the way her foot is throbbing right now, she doesn't know how on earth can she walk to school on monday.

 

"By the way", Jennie spoke again, "Do you know that girl? Do you know why she did that to you?"

 

Chaeyoung ponders before shaking her head, “I only know that she’s my classmate. I don’t even know her name.”

 

“The nerve of that girl.”

 

She glances at the brunette and saw her clenching the steering wheel a little too tight.

 

“Are you serious when you told her she’s expelled?” she asked.

 

“Of course. She doesn’t deserve to stay in Crossford”, the brunette replied in obvious anger.

 

“Wouldn’t that be too much?”

 

“Too much? Really, Chaeng? Are you seeing your condition right now?” Jennie looks really mad now, “She deserves more than a slap in the face.”

 

Chaeyoung heaves out a sigh. What happened was really troublesome. She got hurt and her camping experience was ruined. And on top of that, she won’t be able to attend class for a week. But Chaeyoung, being the saint that she is, still thinks the girl didn’t deserve to be kicked out from the school.

 

“Maybe give her disciplinary action or something? Just not expulsion”, she suggests in small voice.

 

Jennie looks at her in disbelief, “You’re too good, Chaeng. Too good.”

 

Chaeyoung didn’t argue anymore, and they stayed quiet for the next few minutes. She was glancing at Jennie every now and then, but the creases on the girl’s forehead don’t seem to leave.

 

“Um, do you want to grab some cold drinks?” she says, “Y’know, to freshen us up. It’s been a long day.”

 

Jennie nodded, and they headed to a drive-thru to grab some cold drinks for the both of them.

 

“That’s so unfortunate”, Chaeyoung spoke after getting their drinks, “We didn’t get to finish the camp.”

 

“There’s only one last activity, though, for the night”, Jennie replied.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Actually, we can do it now.”

 

Jennie glances at her watch and it reads 6:30pm. The sky is already dark, and they’re almost passing by the Han River. Just in time.

 

“Eh??” Chaeyoung squinted her eyes suspiciously at the brunette.

 

“What? What were you thinking?” Jennie laughs, “Let’s complete your camping experience.”

 

She winks teasingly at Chaeyoung, before slowing down and swerving right to properly park her car.

 

Chaeyoung was confused when they halted. She looks around and saw bright lights illuminating a long bridge at the distance. They’re at Han River.

 

“Uh, care to explain why we stopped here?” she asks quizzically.

 

Jennie didn’t answer, and instead pushed some button on her car.

 

Chaeyoung swears she almost dropped her drink when the convertible top starts coming off, giving them a perfect view of the night sky. Jennie pushed another button, and their seats reclined.

 

“Last camping activity for the night: star gazing under the open sky”, Jennie gives her a smile before looking up at the distant atmosphere.

 

She follows the girl’s gaze, and soon, their hands are both reached up at the sky trying to connect constellations with their fingers like what kids do.

 

“When I was a kid, I’ve always wanted to be reincarnated as a star”, Jennie said out of nowhere, still looking up above.

 

“Really? Why is that?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe I want to give light and brightness?” she ponders.

 

“You can be a lamp post instead”, Chaeyoung jokes, earning a whine from the brunette.

 

“I’m serious. I really wanted to be a star so I could give light to other people”, Jennie smiles sadly, “Mom used to tell me that I’m like her star. Because I always give her light and brightness, and that I should always be like one even to other people, wherever I go.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles, “Your mom seems a really good mom.”

 

“Hm, she is. Too bad her daughter didn’t grow up well”, Jennie answered.

 

“Nah, her daughter just didn’t grow at all”, the blonde teases, trying to lift up the mood.

 

Jennie just chuckles, “I can’t believe she became a star even before me. She’s living my dream now.”

 

“Hm, and I’m sure she always watches over you, giving you light and brightness like you used to give her.”

 

Jennie glances at her and chuckles again, “Why are we being cringy at this time of the evening?”

 

“You started it, though.”

 

“Yeah, I can be cringy at times.”

 

Chaeyoung looks back up at the sky, “Well, aren’t you living your own dream, too?”

 

“Hm?”

 

Chaeyoung looks at the brunette subtly with soft eyes, thinking of the crazy things the girl has done to and for her. She doesn’t know why the girl chooses to be by her side, more confusingly, she doesn’t know why she’s starting to feel thankful that the girl does. 

 

All she knows is that...

 

“You’ve changed a lot, Jen”, she said, “You’re giving out light and brightness to some people without you noticing it.”

 

Jennie looks back at her with the same soft eyes, and Chaeyoung continued...

 

“You’re shining in your own little starry way, Jennie.”

 

~•~

 

It was quarter past seven when they reached Chaeyoung’s home, and they couldn’t beat the surpised reaction of her parents when they entered the house with Chaeyoung on Jennie’s back.

 

“Chaeyoung? Jennie? Oh my god, what happened?” Mrs. Park blurted and hurriedly went to Chaeyoung’s side.

 

“Um, she...” Jennie was about to answer, but was cut off by Chaeyoung.

 

“I tripped on a rock while we’re doing the activity”, she lied, “But we went to the doctor already and gave me some meds. It’ll be okay soon.”

 

“Are you sure?”, Mr. and Mrs. Park asked in unison.

 

“Yes, mom, dad, don’t worry. It’s just a minor sprain”, she reassures them, “I’ll go rest now, okay?”

 

“Alright, then”, her mom said, “Um, Jennie dear, could you please bring Chaeyoung to her room?”

 

Jennie nodded and whispers to the blonde, “Uh, where’s your room again?”

 

“Go straight then left. First door”, she instructed.

 

“Alright.”

 

Jennie then carried Chaeyoung straight to her room, and carefully places her on the edge of the bed in a sitting position.

 

“Thank you”, Chaeyoung mutters.

 

Jennie sat beside her, subtly stretching her limbs. But Chaeyoung saw it.

 

“Was I heavy?”, she asks in guilt, “I’m so sorry.”

 

“Nah, it’s fine. It was a good excercise actually”, the brunette chuckles, earning a pout from the other girl, “Why did you lie to them?”

 

“I don’t want them to worry. And besides, it’s nothing serious.”

 

“It’s nothing serious, but you still have to follow what the doctor said, okay? Avoid unnecessary physical movement concerning your foot.”

 

“Aye aye, captain”, Chaeyoung playfully rolls her eyes.

 

Jennie shakes her head, “Well, I think I should be going now. I’ll have Lisa send your things tomorrow morning.”

 

“Um, thank you, Jen. Really”, she says, “Like, really, I don’t know how to repay you, but I’m really thankful.”

 

“No worries. Just get better, okay? That’s enough for me.”

 

They both smiled and fell silent as no one dared to speak a word after that. They’re just sitting there, holding each other’s gazes, not really knowing what to do.

 

And Jennie doesn’t know where on earth did she get the courage to lean into Chaeyoung’s personal space. Maybe it’s the way Chaeyoung bats her eyes, or the way her cheeks glow, or maybe it’s the spur of the moment that prompted Jennie to lean up and press a soft kiss on Chaeyoung’s forehead.

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes fluttered close at the gesture, and before her mind can even register what’s happening, Jennie’s lips were already gone.

 

“I—um...I’ll be going now. Goodnight, Chaeng”, Jennie stuttered before dashing out of her room.

 

Chaeyoung was left alone still trying to process what just happened. Her stomach was doing somersaults, and she swears she has never felt her heart beats this fast in her entire life.

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t understand why her lips unconsciously curl upwards as she feels Jennie’s kiss linger on her forehead.