21st

Falling All In You

"We're here?"

 

Chaeyoung looks around the place when Jennie finally parked the car after an hour of driving through the countryside. The fog was thick but one could see that they're at the entrance of a forest at the foot of the mountains, and the trees covering the area were really tall and abundant. Autumn leaves scattered everywhere even completed the aesthetic scenery.

 

She turns to the other side and saw groups of students standing disciplined in respective lines. They're the sophomores. She immediately spotted the twins who were standing in the last line.

 

"Come on, Jen! They're already taking the attendance", she said and hastily stepped out of the car.

 

"I—wait", Jennie could only mumble a lazy 'too much energy at this time of the morning' as she watches the blonde hops outside.

 

Chaeyoung practically ran to the twins with an excited grin, and high fives them, "Yin Yang!"

 

"Woah there, lady. Aren't you oozing with too much energy?" Yang said while chuckling.

 

The twins were casually dressed in some fitted shirt and cargo shorts matching with each other as if them being twins is not obvious enough.

 

"I woke up really early for this, okay? I am so not excited", she answered with a laugh.

 

"We all woke up unbelievably early for this. See these students?" Yin gestured to the sophomores standing in line, "Can you believe rich brats of Crossford actually traveled early to the mountains for this camp?"

 

Chaeyoung glances at the groggy looking students, "Now that I noticed, yeah, I can't believe they can be this disciplined."

 

"They're pretty competitive because the extracurricular grade for this is almost equivalent to a major exam", Yang said.

 

"Oh? I didn't know that", she turned back to the twins.

 

"Now you know, little Chaengie", Yang chuckled, "So we must do well in the activities."

 

Chaeyoung nodded in excitement. Shortly, their names were called by the camp instructor, and they confirmed their attendance.

 

"By the way, who drove you here?" Yang asked her.

 

"Oh, um..."

 

Before she could answer, she saw Yin squinting at something behind her and said, "I think I already know who."

 

The twins' expression changes almost instantly, so she turned to her back to see what it was, and found Jennie standing before her, carrying her backpack.

 

"Oh, sorry I forgot to get this",  Chaeyoung steps and takes her bag from the brunette in haste.

 

"It's okay. You were too energetic", Jennie replied, and Chaeyoung's face flushed.

 

Yin made a coughing sound, "I was about to wonder why you're not wearing any bag."

 

"Um...well, Jennie offered to give me a ride since she's heading here as well", she explained and gave an awkward smile.

 

Yang scoots closer to her and whispers discreetly, "I just remembered...was the rumor true?"

 

"What?" Chaeyoung whispered back, clueless.

 

"Rumor has it that Jennie serenaded you the other day."

 

Chaeyoung choked on nothing. She glances at the brunette who was patiently standing with a straight face, before turning back to Yang.

 

"I— i-it's not a serenade!" she defended as quietly as possible.

 

"But she sang you a song?"

 

"Y-Yes, but..."

 

"Then she serenaded you!"

 

Chaeyoung nudges the guy's side stomach out of reflex, "Tone it down!"

 

"Ow!" Yang rubs the spot playfully, "Now, I'm really intrigued."

 

"Why?"

 

"Rumor has it that Jennie has never done it before. But I don't know if you should feel lucky."

 

Chaeyoung was caught off guard. She was once again reminded of that swirling feeling in her stomach, and thoughts flooded her. This was all new to her, and she was helplessly lost.

 

"Okay, kids, all eyes on me!"

 

They were fortunately interrupted by the head camp instructor who was now standing infront of them all.

 

"Hush now", she whispered to Yang one last time, before they all turned their attention to the head instructor.

 

"Good day to ya'll, and thank you for joining this year's autumn camp", he started, "So, as you have noticed, you're all grouped according to your majors. Each major will have different camping area from others. We have assigned three instructors for each group to guide you through this camp. We also have a Paramedics team on standby in case of emergency."

 

The head instructor conducted a little orientation about the DOs and DON'Ts for a few minutes, before announcing that they're good to go.

 

"If you all understood, and no more questions, you can now...wait-" the head instructor stopped and looked at Chaeyoung's direction, "Um, Lady Jennie?"

 

'Oh right, Jennie', Chaeyoung thought and turned around to find the brunette still standing behind her.

 

The students who were groggily listening a while ago seemed energized now at the mention of Jennie's name. They probably didn't notice the girl before because she's too small.

 

"Um, I'm sorry I didn't notice you immediately, Lady Jennie, but you can h—" the head instructor spoke through students' loud squeals, but was cut off by the brunette.

 

"I'll go with the Music majors", Jennie deadpanned.

 

Everyone looked at their direction, then at Chaeyoung, before whispering god-knows-what to themselves. Jennie must've noticed that because she sent a knowing glare to each of them, and the students immediately looked away, too scared for life.

 

"A-Alright, then, Lady Jennie", the head instructor said, "Okay, kids. Follow your instructors, and you're good to go."

 

He left the scene after that, and the Music major's instructors stepped in to guide Chaeyoung's group to the trail.

 

"Are you sure you're going with us?" she turned to Jennie and asked.

 

"Who else would I go with?" the brunette smiled, "And besides, Lisoo's already in your group's camping area."

 

"Eh? What are they doing there?"

 

"Because we're joining the Music majors?"

 

"And why are you joining us?"

 

Jennie pursed her lips and playfully massages her temples, "Chaeyoung, I swear to god."

 

"What?" Chaeyoung tilted her head a little, and if Jennie just didn't find it cute, she wouldn't have answered.

 

"We joined this camp because of you."

 

That answer didn't help at all as Chaeyoung just got more confused as ever.

 

"Look, they're going already", Jennie changed the topic and pointed to Chaeyoung's classmates who are now walking towards a pathway, "Let's go?"

 

Chaeyoung just nodded, and they followed the group. She saw the twins ahead and thought they're somehow upset at her because...well, she's with Jennie. She still doesn't know the reason why Yin's holding some grudge against Blackpink, but maybe she'll ask him some other time.

 

They passed by a trail with a signage hanging above that reads, 'Welcome to Odaesan, Music majors', and Chaeyoung was only noticing how beautiful the place is. Not to mention, very serene. Now, she knows why Crossford chose autumn instead of summer camp. This season really suits the camping vibe.

 

Chaeyoung glances around and realized they're at the last line, so she grabs the opportunity and takes out her phone. She momentarily halts on her track to take pictures of the scenery, and appreciate the view.

 

Jennie notices she's now walking alone in the line, so she turns to her back and finds an amused-looking Chaeyoung taking pictures of anything. Her lips mindlessly curl into a smile, and without thinking much, she reaches for her own phone and takes a stolen shot of the girl.

 

Shutter.

 

Oh fudge. She forgot to turn off the sound.

 

Chaeyoung turns to her with a quizzical look, and upon realizing what she just did, the girl marches towards her while ranting.

 

"Yah! Let me see that!" she tried reaching for the brunette's phone, but the girl was dodging her, "I look terrible in stolen shots!"

 

"You look cute!" Jennie laughs while hiding her phone.

 

"I do not! Delete that now!"

 

"No luck, sherlock."

 

"Jennie Kim, you midget!"

 

And they banter their way to the camp.

 

~•~

 

"Okay, guys, we're here!" one of their instructors announced when they reached the end of the trail.

 

They're at the side of a really clear lake. On the left is a ground covered with dried leaves falling from the trees, while a spacious activity area with obstacle courses is found on the right.

 

Chaeyoung was amazed. Crossford really came prepared for this.

 

“So, first things first. You see that vacant ground on the left? That’s where you’ll set up your tents. I’ll give you thirty minutes to prepare, then we’ll proceed to our first activity”, the instructor continued before looking hesistantly at Jennie, “Um...Lady Jennie, we prepared a special cabin for y—”

 

“Nah, our tent’s already set up”, Jennie deadpanned again.

 

Everyone, including Chaeyoung, turned to the left ground and saw a pretty huge pink tent standing alone in the outermost part of the area. As if on cue, someone who’s wearing a complete sports outfit at this time of the morning stepped out of the tent. It was Jisoo, of course.

 

“Oh, the sophomores are here. Good morning to ya’ll”, the purple-haired greeted with unexpected enthusiasm.

 

Of course, Chaeyoung’s classmates went berserk again upon seeing the girl. They probably couldn’t believe they’ll ever get this close to Blackpink.

 

“Alright, then, Lady Jennie”, the instructor said one last time, “Thirty minutes, guys. Start setting up now.”

 

After that, the students went to claim their spaces and started setting up their tents. Most of them are in a group of 2 or 3.

 

“Hey, Chaeng. We’ll just set up there, ayt?”, Yang told Chaeyoung, before going with his twin.

 

“You can settle beside us, Chaeyoung-ah”, Jennie appeared beside Chaeyoung, who was left looking lost as she couldn’t decide where to settle.

 

“Really? On the left side, or the right side?” she asked while gesturing her hands animatedly.

 

Jennie finds it really cute when Chaeyoung does that. She looks so pure and innocent.

 

“How about infront of us?” the brunette chuckled and pulled her towards their tent.

 

“Nah, beside yours is a better spot”, Chaeyoung replied, before putting her heavy backpack down.

 

Jennie froze and felt her cheeks heat up at the girl’s remark, “B-Beside mine?”

 

“Yup. Beside your tent”, the blonde cleared out, “Here. Better spot.”

 

The brunette heaves out a sigh of slight disappointment, “Oh, r-right...beside our tent.”

 

‘Dang what were you thinking, Jennie Kim’, Jennie mentally scolded herself.

 

“Ayo, Rosie mah friend!” Jisoo appeared between them with a smug on her face, “You two had a good morning, huh.”

 

“Don’t ‘mah friend’ me, Kim Jisoo. I am still not forgetting all of your deceiving acts”, Chaeyoung glared at the girl while taking out the folded tent from her bag.

 

“Admit it, though, something bloomed because of my ‘deceiving acts’”, Jisoo smirks teasingly at them.

 

“I—what bloom are you saying, you—” Chaeyoung takes out the tent’s pole and marches on the girl.

 

“Hey hey!” Jennie stepped between them before the blonde could land a hit on her friend’s beautiful face, “Let’s forget about that now, can we?”

 

Chaeyoung glared one more time at the purple-haired, before she started setting up her tent.

 

Jennie turned to her friend, “By the way, where’s Lisa?”

 

Jisoo shrugged, “Oh, that friend of yours wants to be Moana. I don’t know, she’s been kayaking since we got here.”

 

Chaeyoung heard their conversation and mindlessly turns to the lake. She didn’t notice it earlier when they got here, but Lisa was really kayaking alone in the middle of the lake. The girl was wearing almost the same sports wear as Jisoo, and she was casually paddling against the water as the morning sun hits her milky skin.

 

Lisa Manoban. 

 

Chaeyoung still knows nothing about her, and she’d be lying if she says she’s not quite intrigued. That girl is one hell of a mystery.

 

“Do you need help, Chaeng?”

 

Jennie’s voice snapped her out of her trance, and she didn’t realize she was spacing out.

 

“Um, not really. I just—”

 

“Here, let me help you.”

 

Jennie takes the tent poles from her, and starts inserting them to the tent.

 

“Here, now you have to stake it down on the ground securely so it won’t fly off”, the brunette explains while pushing down the tent stakes.

 

Chaeyoung just watches her, and mentally shakes her head when she realized Jennie did all the job instead of just helping her.

 

“I specifically bought a rain fly for this just in case it rains”, Jennie said again, now putting the rain fly over the tent, “There you go.”

 

The brunette stood up and turns to her with a smile.

 

“Jennie Kim, I can’t believe you set up someone else’s tent when I had to build OUR own tent alone”, Jisoo came back ranting from nowhere.

 

Jennie just laughed at the girl, before turning back to her with the same smile.

 

“Thank you”, was all she could say as she’s once again feeling that familiar (and very persistent) swirling in her stomach.

 

~•~

 

“Okay, so now that everyone’s built their tents, let’s now start our first activity. Please proceed to the activity area on the right”, the instructor announced.

 

Chaeyoung settles her things inside her tent after changing into some activewear, and zips up her tent. She then followed her classmates to the activity area, and saw Lisa and Jisoo already doing the warm-ups.

 

“Hey, chipmunk”, Lisa greeted her with a small smile.

 

“Hey, Lis”, she greeted back.

 

“Hey, Jisoo”, Jisoo said to herself.

 

Both girls looked at her dumbly and shook their heads.

 

“Um, where’s Jennie?” she asked them hesitantly.

 

“Missing her already? I see. She’s just changing”, Jisoo smirks, “Oh, she’s here now.”

 

Chaeyoung ignored the girl’s remark and turned around just in time as Jennie walks towards them.

 

Have you ever felt being in a movie like when you see someone dropdead gorgeous and you just stare at them dumbly because you literally can’t take your eyes off of them?

 

Well, that’s how Chaeyoung felt when she saw Jennie walking towards them wearing a really fitted black leggings, and a black crop top that’s exposing her perfectly toned abs. Her dark hair was in a gorgeous braid.

 

“Do you want me to do the honours of picking up your jaw from the floor?” Jisoo nudged her teasingly, and she nudged her back with a glare.

 

“Okay, now I’ll explain the mechanics.”

 

Their instructor spoke again, and Chaeyoung was thankful that she could face the other way so the brunette won’t see her reddened cheeks.

 

“For this activity, we’ll have three teams. You can group yourselves according to your preference, it doesn’t matter. But you should be grouped evenly.”

 

The students started gathering around and choosing their teammates. Blackpink immediately goes to Chaeyoung because, well, they don’t like mingling with other people. Six more students joined them, completing the set of ten members per team. Yin and Yang joined different teams, so they’ll have to compete with each other.

 

“Alright, so now that you’re grouped, this is what you’re going to do”, the instructor started, “See this very wide obstacle courses over here? You just simply have to pass through these five courses unto the finish line. But remember, only one member per team can pass a course at the same time. Meaning, if you are the first player, you have to get to the second course before the second player can start the first course, and so on. All team members must reach the finish line to get the point. Are we clear?”

 

The students all nodded, and prepared their stances for the game. Jisoo’s first in the line, then Jennie, Lisa, then Chaeyoung, and the other six members of their team.

 

Once their instructor blew the whistle, the first players of each team sprinted towards the first course: jumping through the hurdles. Jisoo was impressively fast despite her short legs, and instantly overcame the first course. Jennie came next when Jisoo reached the second course, and they were both fast for their short legs. Long-legged Lisa entered the game as Jisoo reached the third course: the monkey bars.

 

Chaeyoung watched on as Blackpink moves in their own cool way despite the difficult courses. She couldn’t believe those girls can do all of that. Maybe they’re really more than just pretty faces. She’s having a hard time comparing them to the Blackpink she knew before.

 

“Go, Chipmunk!”

 

She heard Lisa’s GO signal when the girl reached the second course, and she entered the game. Chaeyoung wasn’t very athletic, but she’s pretty competitive so she managed to overcome the first three courses as fast as she can. Jisoo and Jennie were already in the finish line when she reached the fourth course: the apex ladder.

 

That’s where she slowed down, as that obstacle needs a perfect balance and confidence of height. Chaeyoung was pretty tall so she had a hard time balancing herself through the ladders.

 

“You can do it, Rosie!” Jisoo shouted from a distance.

 

Lisa already reached the finish line, but Chaeyoung’s still on the fourth.

 

Jennie watches Chaeyoung in worry. Not for the game, but for the girl. The blonde looks uncomfortable crossing the ladders, and the urge to help her was too strong. But as she was just about to take a step...someone already beat her to it.

 

Lisa.

 

Jennie watches as her friend sprinted back to the field, and reached for Chaeyoung’s hand to help her. She watches as Chaeyoung finally managed to get through the fourth and fifth courses, and reached the finish line.

 

She watches how Chaeyoung smiled at Lisa while thanking her for the help. And Jennie didn’t like the uncomfortable feeling in her stomach...at all.

 

~•~

 

The game ended after a few hours, with Chaeyoung’s team being the winner. She fortunately managed to get the right strategy for the fourth course, and lead her team to victory. They all went back to their respective tents to rest, when their instructor announced something again.

 

“Kids, it’s almost lunch time and I know you’re all hungry already. We will have lunch soon. But here’s the catch”, he said, “You have to gather some woods from this forest. And using those woods, each team must start a fire.”

 

A series of ooohs were heard.

 

“You can’t have lunch unless your team finally managed to create a fire. And don’t even think of cheating. We’ll be watching you”, he said again, “You can start whenever you’re ready.”

 

The competitive students immediately dispersed to start gathering woods. Chaeyoung’s other teammates volunteered to get the woods, while Chaeyoung and Blackpink will be the ones to create the fire.

 

It didn’t take long for their teammates to come back with different kinds of woods, and they wasted no time and started rubbing the woods against each other.

 

“This is impossible. Could we really make a fire out of this?” Jennie complained while holding two wood sticks.

 

“Our great great ancestors invented fire using this method, Jennie. Of course, this is possible”, Chaeyoung argued while holding her own sticks.

 

“Chill, guys. We can always use a lighter”, Jisoo suggested casually.

 

Chaeyoung threw her a glare, “Are you crazy? We’ll have to say goodbye to our lunch if we cheat.”

 

Lisa heaves out a deep breath and moves between them, “I think we’re doing something wrong here, hm.”

 

“What could be wrong?” the brunette was getting impatient.

 

“I think we should peel off the wood’s skin first, then we rub them against each other”, the youngest of them suggested.

 

Chaeyoung immediately reaches for a pocket knife, and did what Lisa said, “Like this?”

 

“Yes, you should peel off the skin unto the very white of the wood.”

 

Chaeyoung continued peeling the wood until she was satisfied, and tried to rub them again.

 

“It’s still not working?” she frowned.

 

“How about you try...” Lisa positions herself behind Chaeyoung and guides her hands, “Try rubbing just one wood to the other. Like this.”

 

And successfully, a small fire really came out of Chaeyoung’s stick.

 

“Woah!”

 

“See! I told you, it’ll work”, Lisa said proudly.

 

“Why are you good at this?” Chaeyoung asked in amazement.

 

“My dad and I used to camp before. I learned some tricks from him.”

 

“That’s amazing!”

 

Jennie watches as the two girls exchange conversation like they’ve known each other before. Once again, she watches how Chaeyoung smiles at Lisa as she proudly showed her the fire she created on her own.

 

And Jennie was thinking if the girl has ever smiled to her like that.

 

~•~

 

After lunch, the students were given an hour or so to rest and refresh before they proceed to their last activity for the day. It was about 3:00pm when their instructor summoned them again to the field.

 

“Okay, for our last activity for the day, we will be playing tug of war. I think all of us already know how the game is played. I will be needing two teams with ten players each. Not all can join, so I need volunteers.”

 

Chaeyoung looks at the three girls beside her, and they honestly look so worn out already. She chuckled and takes that as a no.

 

“Guess, I’ll be playing, then”, she told them, before stepping towards the play area.

 

“You still have a lot of energy in you?” Jennie half-yelled.

 

Chaeyoung smiles cheekily, “Watch me.”

 

Volunteer players soon filled the teams, and they both formed a straight line opposing each other. They were given the long rope which they immediately held onto tightly, and a center line was placed.

 

Chaeyoung was at the very front, and opposite to her was a girl who was kind of glaring at her since the game started. She ignored it, though, and pulled hard on the rope when their instructor blew the whistle.

 

It was a tight match. Both teams don’t want to let go of the rope, and were trying so hard to pull each other across the center line. Chaeyoung’s hands start numbing, though, and her hold on the rope loosens. The girl opposite her noticed it and uses the opportunity to pull even harder.

 

As Chaeyoung’s team was getting close to crossing the center line and losing, the front girl on the other team intentionally pulled hard on the part that Chaeyoung was holding, causing Chaeyoung to lose her balance. But before she could even hit the ground, the girl kicked her hard on her left shin, and she ended up twisting her ankle and fell on the ground.

 

Everyone was taken aback, and the rope was forgotten as they approach Chaeyoung who was groaning in pain.

 

“What the was that?!” she yelled to the girl while holding onto her left shin.

 

“Serves you right, ”, the girl spat without any hint of guilt.

 

Their instructors rushed to the scene and angrily asked the students what happened.

 

But nothing could top the anger of a certain brunette who pushed every single person standing in her way towards Chaeyoung.

 

The girl who kicked Chaeyoung chickened out as she came face to face with a fuming Jennie Kim. And she lost all her senses when the brunette slaps her in the face...hard.

 

Everyone, including the instructors, gasped, but none of them dared to make a move.

 

“I don’t want to see your face in my school, ever again”, Jennie’s words were as cold as ice, “You’re expelled.”

 

The girl could only gasp, too scared to say a word.

 

Jennie knelt down and held Chaeyoung who was now crying in pain. She has never seen the girl this vulnerable. Not even when she was still bullying her. She clenched her fist and wipes the girl’s tears away, before facing her back to the girl.

 

“Hold on me”, she softly said.

 

“B-But...”

 

“Wrap your arms around my neck.”

 

Chaeyoung didn’t argue anymore and did what she was told. Jennie then slowly lifted the girl, and carefully held her thighs, carrying her piggyback.

 

Jennie started walking out of the forest and towards to where the trail to the entrance is. Leaving everyone off guard.

 

“Jen...” Chaeyoung called from her back.

 

“I’ll take you to the hospital”, she answered, “Does it hurt so bad?”

 

She felt the girl nod over her shoulder.

 

“We’ll get that cured. Trust me, okay?” Jennie reassured her, “I’ll protect you.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“I may not be capable of creating fire out of woods”, Jennie’s voice was so soft that there’s nothing she could do but to trust her, “But I promise you, I’ll protect you no matter what, Chaeyoung.”