25th

Falling All In You

That night after her phone call with Yang, some things became clearer to Chaeyoung and she was kind of enlightened (thanks to her friends). So, although she was still hesitant, she finally found the courage to dial Jennie's number and call the girl.

 

It's only the second ring when the brunette picks up the phone.

 

"Chaeyoung?", she heard Jennie's voice from the other line.

 

"Hey, Jen, um...how are you?", Chaeyoung flicks her own forehead and buries her face on her pillow.

 

What a really good way to start the conversation.

 

"Uh, I'm good, I guess?", Jennie replied, confused, "How are you? How's your foot?"

 

The concern in the brunette's voice makes her melt, and she feels even guiltier about what she did.

 

"It's getting better", she tries to sound casual, "Actually, the reason I called is...to, um, apologize."

 

"Apologize?"

 

"Yes, um, y'know...for what I did last night", she bit on her lip, "I really didn't mean to slam the door on you, Jen, I swear! I just panicked a little."

 

She heard Jennie chuckle which confuses her, "Hey, it's alright. I figured that, too, and I can't blame you. Guess I took you by surprise?"

 

"Dude, you came in like a wrecking ball", she blurted.

 

Jennie laughs on the other line, "Now, you're exaggerating, Chaeng."

 

"Seriously, I really panicked that I ended up slamming the door out of reflex", she replied with a small voice, "And I'm really sorry if I have offended you. It was really not my intention."

 

"And I told you it's fine, really. You have nothing to worry about, Chaeng. I understand."

 

"So, you're not mad at me?"

 

"I can never be mad at you."

 

Chaeyoung didn't know why, but that brought a smile to her lips.

 

"Thank you", she says.

 

"For what?"

 

"For everything."

 

"Thank you for being specific, Park Chaeyoung."

 

She chuckles a little, "I'm serious."

 

"Shouldn't I be the one who's thanking you, though?", Jennie says.

 

"For what?"

 

"For everything."

 

"Jennie Kim!", she whines.

 

The brunette bubbles in a laugh, and Chaeyoung could imagine the girl's cute small teeth showing off as she laughs.

 

"Seriously, though, I should be the one thanking you", Jennie spoke again, "For making me realize something."

 

"What is it?"

 

"That there's happiness in small things. And that it's achievable."

 

Chaeyoung smiles to herself, "It is."

 

"And I want to keep what's making me happy. I want to make her happy, too."

 

The brunette pauses, and the fluttering feeling in Chaeyoung's stomach came back.

 

"Jennie..."

 

"You."

 

~•~

 

Another day has passed for Chaeyoung, and she honestly didn't know how she survived by just moping around. Well, she's kind of self-studying for their upcoming midterm exams, but aside from that, all she did was watch movies, eat, play her guitar, eat again, sleep...

 

And oh...text Jennie.

 

After their phone call last Tuesday night, they started constantly texting, talking about random stuff almost all day. Chaeyoung even had to scold the brunette for texting in class. She swears they act like teenage lovestruck fools though neither of them was bringing up the 'confession' topic. Chaeyoung didn't know what the other girl was thinking, but she thinks someone has to speak up about it. Maybe she'll find a good timing.

 

Just like this Thursday afternoon where she was just lazying on her bed, staring at her phone screen because she was texting a certain small brunette. The girl sent her a very lame pick-up line, and she replied with an angry emoji just to annoy her.

 

Chaeyoung opens her laptop and decided to watch a movie to kill some time. She put Disney's Tangled on play, and started watching.

 

It hasn't been 30 minutes, though, when she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

 

"Come in, mom", she yelled, thinking it was her mom.

 

The door opened, and Chaeyoung jolted up in surprise as the person who entered her room is not her mom.

 

"Why are you here?", she kind of blurted.

 

"Uh, because your mom let me in?", Jennie replied with an awkward smile while awkwardly standing by the door.

 

"I know that, I mean of course she'd let you in. But, what brings you here? We were just texting", Chaeyoung puts down her laptop, and shifts to sit on the edge of her bed.

 

Jennie lifts a black notebook on her hand, "I compiled some notes from your subjects. So you can study while at home."

 

Chaeyoung's face lit up and she reaches for the notebook, before flipping the pages in awe, "Really? Where did you get this, though?"

 

"From your professors. I asked them to make you some notes since you can't attend school for quite a while."

 

"You...I— you didn't have to, Jen."

 

"I wanted to, Chaeng", the brunette smiles at her, "You were so worried about the exams, so I thought giving you these notes would help."

 

"It's a big help. Thank you, Jen."

 

Chaeyoung reciprocates her smile with an appreciative one, and she thought if Jennie continues being like this, she would really have a hard time calming her heart.

 

"Anything for you", Jennie tosses a playful wink before lifting a paper bag she was holding on her other hand, "By the way, I also brought food. Some salads and sandwiches since I know how much of a health freak you are. I brought some for your mom, too."

 

"Hey, I'm not that conscious!", Chaeyoung argues with a laugh.

 

"Says the one who doesn't eat junk food and fastfood", Jennie shakes her head and  places the paper bag on the bedside table.

 

"Because they're not healthy!"

 

"See? Health freak", the brunette laughs and casually jumps on bed beside her, "Hey, are you watching?"

 

Chaeyoung bounces back in bed and held her laptop, "Yep. I was watching Tangled."

 

"Really? Tangled's my favorite Disney movie", Jennie takes a peek in the laptop.

 

The tall blonde stared at her judgingly, "Tangled is your what?"

 

"Uh, my favorite movie?"

 

"Seriously?"

 

"Why? Can't I have a favorite movie?", Jennie stared back looking lost.

 

"I just didn't expect a badass like you to watch Disney", Chaeyoung chuckles.

 

"I literally grew up with Disney! I've watched, like, every single Disney movie ever released", the brunette blabbered with animated eyes.

 

"Including Finding Dory?"

 

"Especially Finding Dory! I love that fish."

 

Chaeyoung stared at the girl in disbelief, "You...The Jennie Kim...watches a movie about fish?"

 

Jennie chuckles and leans comfortably against the bed frame, "I'm a human, too, you know?"

 

"So you're just pretending to be a badass, but you're actually a softie!"

 

"A what?"

 

"Softie. Softie JenJen", Chaeyoung playfully sticks her tongue out at the brunette.

 

Jennie could only mimic the girl while shaking her head in amusement. In all honesty, she could only get soft to one person. And that is this girl beside her right now.

 

So, they ended up watching the movie together while eating the food Jennie brought. They would occasionally sing along to the soundtracks, and would exchange awkward glances everytime there’s a kissing scene. Chaeyoung swears the brunette was too cute when she’s awkwardly looking around trying to pretend that she’s not seeing the scene.

 

They also watched Frozen 2 after that, with Chaeyoung imitating Olaf. Jennie almost died of laughing when that ‘Samantha’ part came. And it’s safe to say that they both had a great time.

 

It was nearing the end of the movie when Chaeyoung suddenly felt a weight on her shoulder. She looks beside her and found Jennie’s head on her shoulder. The girl fell asleep. She looks at her laptop’s time and was surprised to see that it’s evening already. They sure had a good watch that they lost track of time.

 

Chaeyoung turns to Jennie again. The girl’s eyes were peacefully closed and she watches as her chest rises and falls rhythmically. A smile made its way to Chaeyoung’s lips. The brunette really looks soft when she’s sleeping, and she couldn’t help but to lift a hand and gently caresses the girl’s cheeks.

 

She was too engrossed on watching Jennie sleep, that she didn’t notice when her bedroom door opened and someone came in.

 

“Noona, mom said y—”, Jaehyuk halted and his eyes went really wide upon seeing Jennie leaning against his sister’s shoulder, and his sister holding Jennie’s face.

 

Chaeyoung was about to speak and explain, but her brother already made a dash outside while yelling, “Mooom! Chaeng noona and Jennie noona are cuddling!”

 

Chaeyoung mentally curses. She’ll really beat her idiot of a brother later.

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

She heard Jennie spoke, and she turns to find the girl rubbing her eyes. Jaehyuk’s loud voice must’ve woken up the brunette.

 

“Sorry, I fell asleep. What time is it?”, Jennie asks while looking around.

 

“Um, it’s quarter past six.”

 

“Already? I should be going home now, then.”

 

“Hey, how about you join us for dinner first?”, Chaeyoung offers while turning off her laptop.

 

“Is it okay? I mean...”

 

“Of course, Jen. I’m sure mom cooked something really delicious because you’re here.”

 

They shared a warm smile, before getting up and heading out together to the dining to help prepare dinner.

 

The dinner was lively and full of teasing thanks to Jaehyuk. He was still blabbering about what he saw earlier, and Chaeyoung couldn’t believe her brother had the guts to expose her infront of Jennie. Remind her to lock up that brat inside the bathroom later.

 

Jennie, then, bids goodbye after the dinner, and Chaeyoung (of course) offers to walk her outside.

 

“Thanks for crawling, I mean, walking me outside”, Jennie teases once they’re out on the street.

 

The blonde could only puff her cheeks, “I told you, my foot’s getting better already. Look, I can now walk with ease.”

 

“The medicine’s good, then. Is it not hurting anymore?”

 

“A little. But it’s tolerable. I think I can finally go to school on Monday.”

 

“Are you sure? The swelling might get—”

 

“It’s not swelling anymore, I promise”, Chaeyoung playfully raises a hand, “And I need to go to school already. I swear my scooter’s starting to think I’m dead or something.”

 

They shared a laugh at that.

 

“Just be careful and don’t force your foot too much, okay?”, Jennie reminds her while tucking both of her hands inside her pockets.

 

“Aye aye, captain!”

 

The brunette chuckles, “So, I think I should go now before another door slamming happens again.”

 

“I—”, Chaeyoung bit on her bottom lip.

 

“Kidding!”, Jennie grinned and takes a step back, “I’ll be going n—”

 

“Hey, Jen...about what happened...that night.”

 

Chaeyoung finally found the courage to bring up the topic.

 

“Don’t worry about it too much, it’s fine with me, really”, Jennie defends.

 

“But...”

 

“I understand, Chaeng. It really happens.”

 

“I just...”

 

“You don’t have to think about it too much. It’s really okay with me.”

 

“Can you hear me out first?!”, she blurted.

 

The brunette was obviously trying to avoid the topic, but Chaeyoung already started it, so might as well get all the answers they both needed tonight.

 

“Can I just ask you something?”, she asks Jennie while fiddling with her hands.

 

The brunette gulps, “What is it?”

 

“Did you mean what you said to me that night?”, Chaeyoung gazes at the girl’s eyes, “Do you...really like me?”

 

Jennie wasn’t able to react immediately, but when the question finally sunk in, she carefully nodded her head, “I do.”

 

“Why?”

 

“What do you mean why?”

 

“Why me? I mean, there’s a bunch of girls out there who are fit to be with you”, Chaeyoung looks down at her feet, “And I’m just...me.”

 

She felt Jennie steps closer to her and held her hand, before answering, “That’s exactly why. Because you are you. You’re a wonderful person. You’re strong. You don’t let negativity overcome you. You’re basically a ball of sunshine who smiles at everyone and everything even though they have hurt you before. You’re...”

 

Jennie pauses for a moment, and Chaeyoung feels like tearing up.

 

“You’re beautiful, inside and out. And I would trade everything I have just to see a smile on your lips for always”, Jennie confesses her heart out, “There’s nothing like you, Chaeyoung. And I like you because you are you.”

 

Chaeyoung was beyond speechless. She stared at Jennie’s eyes...those beautiful brown eyes that holds so much sincerity. And thought that maybe this is all worth giving a try.

 

Jennie was starting to internally panic when Chaeyoung still hasn’t said a word to her. She was starting to think that this might end up with a door slamming again, but all her thoughts flew out the window when she saw Chaeyoung leans in, and places a lingering kiss on her left cheek.

 

Both girls froze on the ground, flustered, and visibly blushing.

 

“I...um”, Jennie stutters, “What does...that mean?”

 

The blonde meets her eyes, “That’s...my answer.”

 

Jennie’s eyes lit up, and her lips starts tugging upwards, “You mean...”

 

“I mean...?”

 

“Come on, Chaeng”, the brunette whines.

 

Chaeyoung could only chuckle, “What?”

 

“Say it.”

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

Jennie juts out her lips in a really cute pout, and Chaeyoung has no power to resist.

 

“Fine. Jennie Kim...”

 

“Park Chaeyoung.”

 

“I like you, too.”

 

With that, Jennie rushed into Chaeyoung’s arms and held her tight. 

 

For the first time in so many years...she felt genuinely happy.