20th

Falling All In You

Jennie ended the song while still plastering that smile Chaeyoung has never seen before. She sets the guitar aside, and stood up, before walking down the center stage. Squeals from the students were almost deafening, but Chaeyoung couldn't seem to mind them as Jennie starts walking towards her direction all the while still holding her gaze.

 

'What is she—'

 

Her thoughts were dismissed when Jennie stood infront of her, looking as beautiful as always, and held her hand. She was about to protest, but the brunette gently pulled her along, and they made a run out of the scene.

 

To say Chaeyoung was confused was an understatement. She was lost. And it's very evident on her face when they reached the parking area.

 

"What was that?" she asked the brunette who was slightly panting from the run.

 

"You wouldn't want to be swarmed by those students, would you?"

 

Jennie casually wiped a lone sweat on her forehead and plasters that smile again. Chaeyoung swears that smile's stopping her brain from functioning.

 

"Yeah, but I mean...what you did back there...you texted me saying you have something for me...then you sang...that song..." she stutters looking like a lost puppy, "What was that?"

 

The brunette tucks her hands on the pockets of her coat and averts her eyes away, "I don't know either."

 

"What?"

 

"I honestly don't know what I've been doing for the past few days", Jennie said in a whisper, but Chaeyoung heard it clearly.

 

"I'm not following", she said back, even more lost.

 

Jennie turns her eyes back to the tall blonde, "I sang it for you."

 

Chaeyoung felt that familiar warmth on her cheeks again, and she managed to stammer a small "Why?"

 

"Because, you're...Chaeyoung."

 

Jennie mentally facepalmed herself for that very dumb answer.

 

"Jennie Kim, you sure as hell are making it easy for me to understand", the blonde replied in sarcasm.

 

"But that's really why. Because you are you. And I don't effin know what you did to me, but I want to do music again...because of you."

 

Silence follows after, and they just stood there in the middle of the parking area, holding each others gazes. 

 

"I just...thought about what you said to me back in the seaside", Jennie's the first one to broke the silence, "And I had some reconsiderations."

 

"But, are you...ready?" Chaeyoung asked in a soft concerned voice.

 

"I have to", the brunette started, "You told me after I fall, after I cry, and after cursing life for being unfair...I should learn to get up and face the world again."

 

Chaeyoung nodded, and a soft smile unconciously made its way to her lips.

 

"So, I'll try, Chaeyoung", Jennie continues, "Afterall, I've been running away for the past five years. If I don't stop running now, then I'll be running away for the rest of my life."

 

Chaeyoung couldn't believe she's hearing all of this from the girl. She's feeling warmth in her heart and she doesn't know why she feels like crying. Maybe because she's proud of Jennie. Because the girl finally finds it in her heart to start again. And maybe because one of the reasons of this change is her.

 

"I'm proud of you", she managed to say while holding back her tears.

 

Jennie chuckled, "Why do you look like you're about to cry?"

 

"Sorry, I'm just...really the emotional type."

 

"Cute."

 

They both shared a lingering smile, before the brunette turns her back and started sprinting towards the location of Chaeyoung's pink scooter.

 

"Last to get to the scooter will walk home!"

 

"I— what?!"

 

Chaeyoung remained on the ground watching as Jennie hops on her scooter like a kid, before halting and turning back at her in realization. Chaeyoung could only shake her head while jiggling the keys in the air.

 

"You really think you could drive that without this?"

 

The two girls laughed at their own amusement.

 

"Come here and start the engine. I'll take you home."

 

"I have a question first", Chaeyoung suddenly asked, making the other girl's forehead creased.

 

"What is it?"

 

"Why that song?" 

 

"What?"

 

"Of all songs you could choose to sing, why that song?"

 

Jennie curls her lips in a lopsided grin before answering, "Because...you're the coffee that I need in the morning."

 

"The fudge??"

 

"You're the sunshine in the rain when it's pouring", Jennie continues, obviously quoting the lyrics.

 

"Jennie Kim—"

 

"If my life is a movie", Jennie looks at her in all seriousness, "Chaeyoung...you're the best part."

 

And the blush forming on her cheeks made her regret ever asking the question.

 

~•~

 

Chaeyoung woke up extra early that Saturday morning since they have to be at the location by 7:00am. Their camp instructor made it clear on being strict with the attendance so they could follow today's timetable. Good thing Chaeyoung's things are already packed since yesterday so it was easy for her to prepare.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah, your ride’s here!” she heard her mom called from the living room.

 

Ride. Yeah. A certain small brunette was bugging her nonstop yesterday, insisting to give her a ride today. She’s lost count of how many times she said she’s just going to take the train, but the girl was unbelievably stubborn saying she might get late, so she just lets her.

 

Chaeyoung finishes braiding her hair and double-checks her belongings one last time, before carefully wearing her heavy camping backpack.

 

Jennie was already standing by their front door when she stepped out of her room. The girl looks like she was dragged out straight from her bed judging by her almost bare face, and her slightly swollen cheeks. Chaeyoung almost let out a chuckle at how cute the brunette is wearing a black padding jacket that’s probably thrice her size.

 

“Good morning, Chaeyoung”, Jennie greeted through half-lidded eyes.

 

“Good morning to you too, Miss not-a-morning-person”, she teased, earning a playful scowl from the other girl, “Shall we go now?”

 

The brunette nodded, and Chaeyoung bid her mom goodbye, before they went out of the Park’s residence. Jennie helped her put her backpack inside the trunk of the girl’s Mercedes convertible, and that’s when she noticed they’re all alone.

 

“Where’s Jisoo and Lisa?” she asked the brunette once the girl closes the trunk.

 

“They’re trying to be productive and drove ahead to the location. I don’t even know where they got the energy”, Jennie clicks her tongue playfully.

 

“And where’s your driver?” she asked again, slightly panicking.

 

“Camping is about being independent, Chaeng. So I gave them a day off.” Jennie smirks proudly, “I’ll be driving today.”

 

Chaeyoung swallows the invisible lump on , not because Jennie’s driving, but because they’ll be all alone inside that car for more than an hour. She doesn’t know why she’s suddenly nervous. It’s just a car ride. Geez, Chaeng.

 

“Are you afraid that I’m driving? I have my license, don’t worry.”

 

She snapped back to her senses, and realized Jennie’s holding the door for her.

 

“Ah, no no. This is just pretty new, y’know.”

 

“Don’t tell me you miss butler Jung already?”

 

“What?!” Chaeyoung scrunched her nose at the mention of the nosy butler.

 

“Kidding! Now, will you please get in the car already? Gangwon-do is an hour and a half drive, y’know.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, and hesitantly get in the passenger seat. Jennie closes the door carefully before settling on the driver’s seat. A few minutes later and they’re already on the road.

 

Silence engulfs them both, and Chaeyoung doesn’t know why she’s feeling awkward. It’s not as if they’ve never hangout alone before.

 

“Um...have you had breakfast?” she tried breaking the ice.

 

Jennie glances at her and shakes her head, before turning her eyes back on the road, “Not yet. You?”

 

“I haven’t also, but...” Chaeyoung reaches inside her small sling bag and took out a bento box, “I brought dumplings.”

 

Jennie’s face visibly lit up, and Chaeyoung lets out a soft chuckle.

 

“You really like our dumplings, don’t you?” she teases.

 

“They’re the best dumplings I’ve had so far”, the brunette admits.

 

“Hah! That’s Chaengmunk Dumplings for you!”

 

“Chaengmunk?”

 

“Hm, it was named after me. Cos they say I look like a chipmunk”, she explained before puffing her cheeks mindlessly.

 

Jennie tips her head a little to look at her, and felt her heart skips a beat, “Cute.”

 

“You got your own dumpling cheeks, too”, Chaeyoung said and pointed to the girl’s face.

 

“I— what?”

 

“Look at that fluffy cheek. Doesn’t it look like a dumpling?”

 

“I— my cheeks are not fluffy!”

 

“You’re really out there tryna show a badass vibe, when your cheeks are actually fluffy?” she teases more, and takes a bite of the dumpling.

 

“What even—”

 

“Y’know what? I shouldn’t give you any more of these dumplings ‘cos that’s cannibalism.”

 

“I swear to god, Park Chaeyoung—”

 

Chaeyoung lets out a heartily laugh, and Jennie couldn’t help but laugh with her while shaking her head.

 

“How about you just give me some of those dumplings?” Jennie said.

 

“Oh, here”, she replied and lifted the bento box towards the brunette.

 

“Uh, my hands are on the steering wheel, Chaeng”, Jennie stated the obvious, “You’ll have to feed me.”

 

“Excuse me??” her eyes widened, and her panic came back.

 

“I can’t use my hands.”

 

“You can drive with one hand!”

 

“That’s dangerous, though. I won’t risk it”, Jennie makes a pouty face, “And I haven’t had breakfast. I’m so hungry.”

 

Now, how can Chaeyoung say no to that?

 

“A-Alright...here”, she took a piece with chopsticks, and with slightly trembling hand, she brought it to the brunette’s mouth.

 

“Thank you”, Jennie said between her munches, and smiles at her.

 

‘There goes that feeling again’, Chaeyoung thought. She couldn’t pinpoint what that is, but there’s surely something in her stomach that keeps swirling around, making her feel nervous or something.

 

“Chaeng, do you want coffee? There’s a drive-thru nearby”, Jennie suddenly asked, snapping her from her thoughts.

 

‘Coffee. Damn right. As if that would make this freakin stomach any better.’

 

“Um, sure.”

 

And so they grabbed some coffee along the outskirts of town, and few minutes later, they’re already jamming to Taylor Swift’s songs while exchanging teasings every now and then.

 

Gangwon-do is still an hour away, and Chaeyoung doesn’t know how long can she be able to handle that feeling in her stomach whenever Jennie would smile at her, or whenever Jennie would just simply comb her hair with her hand.

 

One thing is for sure, though.

 

Park Chaeyoung is doomed.