Cult Classic Part 1

The Great Ones

Yoongi fell into his car’s driver seat. His eyes heavy and itchy from the all-nighter he pulled. Jungkook sat down in the passengers seat, eyeing his friend with concern.

”Are you okay to drive?” Jungkook asked.

Yoongi nodded. He put his key into the ignition and started his car, it spun to life after a few clicks. Yoongi let out a wide mouthed yawn then shook his head.

”Okay,” Jungkook exited the car. Yoongi watched him. Jungkook came to the driver side and opened the door. “Out.”

”No.” Yoongi said, swatting away Jungkook’s attempts to pull him out.

Jungkook finally got ahold of his friend and pulled him out. Yoongi groaned and went limp purposely, but Jungkook held him up.

”Dude, what gives?!” Jungkook said, his voice straining from Yoongi’s weight. “Were you up all night or something?”

”Yeah.”

”We don’t have any exams coming, and you would have told me if you had any in your other classes.”

Yoongi finally relieves Jungkook of his struggles and stands up straight. The firebender leaned against his car and sighed.

”Was it,” Jungkook looked around then whispered “magical?”

Yoongi nodded.

Jungkook sighed and leaned on the car beside him. “What happened this time?”

Yoongi stared up into the sky, “this time it was a Harpy.”

”Harpy? What’s that?”

”A ing flying woman, who have the worlds loudest scream. My ears are still ringing.” Yoongi checked the time on his phone, “We vanquished her literally two hours ago. She was trying to kill this hybrid baby, part harpy part human. Long story short, I fried the harpy’s wings then Ryujin plucked one of its feathers and stabbed the with it; because apparently only harpy feathers are the only means to killing a harpy,” Yoongi lifted his shirt, exposing a small cut “and they are ing sharp.”

Jungkook grimaced at the cut then looked at his friend “Skip your next class, go home and sleep.”

”Not going to happen. I’m already on two absences with my professor already, one more and I’m kicked out.” Yoongi said, rubbing his tired eyes.

”Help me!” A weak voice called out. 

Yoongi perked up and looked over to where the voice came from. A girl, around twenty, stumbled out on the street covered in bleeding cuts and burn marks. The girl stopped in the middle of the road, in front of a car. 

Yoongi started running towards her, Jungkook close behind. The car beeped its horn, braking to not hit the girl.

Yoongi ran out on the street and grabbed the girl, making her scream and lash out at him. Yoongi ensured the scratch to the face.

”It’s okay,” Yoongi said, trying to calm the frantic girl. He led her to the sidewalk where she was before. Jungkook followed.

The girl was shaking, and Yoongi just now noticed she was wearing nothing but her underwear. Yoongi turned to Jungkook and ped his hoodie, then draped it over the scared girl. 

“Are you okay?” Jungkook asked, rubbing his exposed arms.

”Obviously not.” Yoongi replied. He looked up to where the girl had come running from, and spotted a masked man staring at him for a second before backing away into the darkness of an apartment complex. 

“Watch her!” Yoongi said before running after the masked man. He ignored his friend calling out to him.

Yoongi ran to the apartment complex, his lighter in his hand. There was no sign of the masked man.

Yoongi sighed and returned to the girl and Jungkook. The girl had stopped shaking, and was hugging her legs to her chest. 

“Call the cops, Jungkook.”

Across the city, Woozi spun in his chair. His boss was late to their yearly meeting. 

“Having fun?” Seongchul asked as he entered the small board room.

Woozi immediately stopped spinning and sat up straight. Seongchul chuckled and sat down across from him. 

“Wait long?”

Woozi shook his head, but he was lying. Seongchul was almost an hour late. 

Seongchul smiled and pulled a plastic bag out from under the table, he had brought it with him into the room. 

“I was thinking we have a nice lunch instead of talking about your performance. You know you are doing well, ya da ya da, I can always see more improvement, tik tok, you may go back to work now. However, don’t because there is no way I can eat all of this Chinese by myself.” Seongchul stated.

Woozi smiled and watched as Seongchul emptied the bag full of Chinese food into the table. Before sliding any Woozi’s way, Seongchul rose. 

“We can’t have people seeing me eat with my favorite employee. The gossip will be savage.” Seongchul said as he lowered the blinds, obscuring anyone from outside from looking in.

Ryujin was about to bite into her sandwich, when  Yoongi barged in. The girl he had comforted was behind him, still in Jungkook’s hoodie and her underwear.

Ryujin covered her eyes “Okay! Yoongi, what the actual ?!”

”It’s not like that, you dumb !” Yoongi responded, motioning for the girl to sit at the table with Ryujin. “I’m going to give her some of your clothes.”

”What?!”

Yoongi ran past her and into her room. Ryujin stared at the girl, realizing she was scared and shaking. “Are you okay?” The girl didn’t answer. Ryujin leaned in, “is he forcing you against your will?”

”Hey!” Yoongi yelled, making Ryujin jump in her seat.

Yoongi glared at his friend before setting a change of clothes on the table, he slid them to the girl. The girl looked up at Yoongi, who nodded, then took them. 

“You can change in my room,” Ryujin interjected.

”She can-“

”Change in my room.” Ryujin repeated.

Yoongi didn’t argue and watched the two girls walk away. Yoongi sat down at the table and sighed. He checked the clock, his next class was in an hour. 

Ryujin returned soon with the girl, now dressed in regular clothes. The girls hair now tied into a ponytail, exposing more cuts and bruises.

Yoongi didn’t waste time, “Is that masked man after you?”

The mention of the masked man made the girl shiver and whimper. Ryujin swatted at Yoongi.

”Here eat this,” Ryujin set the sandwich in front of the girl, who stared at it before reaching her hands out to grab it. Ryujin pulled Yoongi aside to the other room. “Okay, explain.”

”Girl ran out into the street, practically . Screaming for help, I go to help her and find some creepy masked man staring right at us. I chase after him, but he’s disappeared.” 

“And she clearly knows about him, seeing how she reacted.” Ryujin added, leaning back to look in the kitchen to make sure the girl was okay.

”I say Woozi and I go check out the apartment complex again, and you stay with the girl and try to get something out of her.” Yoongi said before yawning.

”You haven’t slept yet, have you?” 

“Does it matter?”

”Yes. It does.”

”Well we got to figure out how to handle this. I saw we at least get her story out of her.”

”We will, when she is ready. Right now, she is scared. I will stay here with her, get her to get some sleep in my room.”

”And I’ll go get Woozi-“

”No. I will call Woozi and ask him to scout the complex. You, on the other hand, are going to sleep. Now.”

Yoongi was about to speak, but Ryujin cut him off and pointed away. Yoongi groaned and trudged off to his bedroom. 

Woozi was sitting beside Seongchul, watching a TV show with him. He was supposed to leave work ten minutes ago, but didn’t realize the time. Seongchul chuckled at the comedy show.

Woozi’s phone started to vibrate, but he immediately silenced it. Ryujin let out a sigh and set her phone down. She turned to the girl, who was sound asleep in her bed. 

“Guess I’ll go.” 

Ryujin stuffed her phone in her pocket then left her room. She checked in on Yoongi, who was also asleep. 

Ryujin pulled into the campus’ parking lot, near where Yoongi said he spotted the masked man. She exited her car and searched around for the apartment complex. She spotted it nestled between two frat houses. 

Ryujin texted Woozi, letting him know where she was just in case. 

Ryujin walked down the street until she reached the complex. She noticed there was just one way for the masked man to have possibly escaped out of and that was where she was standing: the entrance. 

Ryujin closed her eyes, trying to listen in on anyone’s thoughts. There was nothing. 

“Of course now it doesn’t work.” 

Ryujin entered into two rows of apartments, one on each side of her. Staircase leading up to second floors on each side, the center sporting a green yard with a dingy fountain barely spraying water. 

Ryujin closed her eyes again, trying to listen to thoughts. Nothing again. 

Suddenly a woman exited her apartment, looking anxious as she scanned the apartments surrounding her. 

When the woman walked near Ryujin, she spoke “I’d leave if I were you.”

”What?”

”You’re not from this complex. You should leave, now.”

”Why?”

”Because you’re not from here. You don’t live here. Go before they find you here.”

”Whose they?” Ryujin asked, reaching out for the girl. The woman stepped back then continued on her way, ignoring Ryujin’s question.

Ryujin was about to leave, suddenly feeling eyes on her, when a man appeared from a small crevice in between two apartments. He was wearing a wolf mask, and holding a pocket knife. Ryujin could hear his thoughts loud and clear.

He’ll like you. He will like you a lot. 

Ryujin didn’t wait to find out who “he” was. She turned and ran, the man began to chase. 

Ryujin was almost out of the complex when another masked man jumped her from the sound, clotheslining her. Ryujin has the wind knocked out of her, and it was too late to do anything before her vision was covered by darkness. She knew it was a sack. 

She knew she was in trouble.