Chapter 58

Perfect Imperfections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heechul's heart thumped loudly as he and Jungsoo finally came back to the place. He couldn't stop thinking about Haeun's wellbeing all this week long. When the agreed day came, he especially got off the work early and so did Jungsoo. 

 

 

 

They walked to the main office where Mr. Ji had been waiting for them. The middle-aged man smiled, welcoming them.

"I see that our new parents are so eager to meet their daughter."

 

 

 

Jungsoo grinned widely, shaking his hand, while Heechul couldn't stop his eyes from wandering. Noticing Heechul's jitter, Mr. Ji smiled sympathetically before he led his guests to sit and talk. He began to check on their documents when he suddenly remembered something.

"Sirs, we actually need one more document. You should send it within three days because this is quite necessary."

Jungsoo frowned a little, "What document?"

"Although Mr. Kim has already been assigned to the mother role, you still need to find a woman as a co-parent. It is better if she already has kids. This is to anticipate potential issues in the future moreover you adopt a girl. I'll give you the form."

 

 

 

Jungsoo turned to Heechul who was thinking deeply before suddenly the designer snapped his finger. He looked at Jungsoo and put on an assuring smile.

"We can ask for help from my sister, don't you think?"

 

 

 

Jungsoo's eyes lit up, agreeing to the idea. They were about to continue to discuss the other administration when suddenly the door busted open revealing a nanny panting lightly. She was surprised as she finally grasped the situation where she shouldn't intrude.

 

 

 

"I'm s-sorry. It's that... Haeun is crying and hiding behind the dresser because she is afraid to be adopted. We can't make her come out."

 

 

 

Heechul abruptly got up, almost kicking his chair, and urged the nurse to show him the way. Jungsoo and Mr. Ji trailed from behind. There were already three nannies crowding near the dresser and Heechul could only sigh looking at the chaos. No wonder Haeun was frightened when they were stressing her like that.

 

 

 

"Excuse me, but please step back. She may be terrified if we cramp her."

Heechul tried to explain carefully, afraid that he would insult them or act like Mr. Know-it-all. The three nannies looked at him and finally walked to behind Jungsoo and Mr. Ji. Heechul gulped before he slowly approached the small gap behind the wooden dresser. Haeun was curling her body, hiding her face on her knees, her shoulder shuddering. Heechul's heart tightened seeing how the poor girl seemed so distressed.

 

 

 

 

 

"Sweetie."

 

 

 

Haeun's clutch on the material of her dress loosened a bit upon hearing the voice. Heechul tried to stretch his hand so he could touch her.

 

 

 

"Mama is here."

Heechul said ever so softly as he the little girl's arm, hoping she could be calmed down although no one could guarantee. Gasps were sounding behind him that he knew rooted from his referring himself as Mama, but heck, he didn't care. He was beyond happy when his gesture worked. Haeun lifted her head and looked at Heechul. Her eyebrows were knitted tightly, her eyes b endless tears. Heechul beamed warmly, offering his hand for her to hold while he tried to widen the gap by pushing the big dresser with his body. 

 

 

 

Seeing that his boyfriend was struggling, Jungsoo immediately helped him. Heechul leaned closer to Haeun and she timidly clutched his hand and a second later she had already been in his arms. Sighs of relief echoed in the room the moment Heechul stood back holding Haeun securely. Jungsoo's eyes got a bit teary before suddenly someone patted his back.

 

 

 

"Your boyfriend is special indeed," Mr. Ji humbly praised, gazing at the heartwarming scene. Jungsoo had to agree; Heechul was indeed something else. Slowly, he walked towards them and kissed Heechul's temple, already forgetting that there were other people in the room. Mr. Ji abruptly shifted his gaze and signaled to the nannies to follow him outside, intending to give the new family bonding time.

 

 

 

Feeling that someone got closer to her, Haeun tried to crawl on Heechul's chest to hide even more. Heechul sighed before kissing the fluffy hair lovingly.

"Haeunie. Let's go home with us."

 

 

 

The little girl didn't react nor did she cry. Jungsoo was a bit confused about what to do at the moment. Thankfully, Heechul noticed his uneasiness and positioned Haeun so that she could face Jungsoo.

 

 

 

"Do you want to go home with us, sweetie?" Heechul asked softly, playing with the finger Haeun gripped tightly. The little girl only looked at Jungsoo blankly before she shifted her gaze to Heechul. A small smile finally bloomed on her face and it was enough to send Heechul and Jungsoo's heart to the seventh sky. Acting on impulse, Jungsoo opened his arms only to be rejected by Haeun. His hope was tossed, shattering. He would be lying if he said it didn't affect him. It hurt him but he assured himself that everything took time.

 

 

 

"Haeunie, he is your Papa."

"I'm a-afraid... O-of Papa."

 

 

 

Heechul's eyes shot open and Jungsoo was no different. She was on the verge of crying, trembling a little. Heechul and Jungsoo exchanged puzzled looks; however, a realization hit him when he remembered what Mr. Ji said the other day about Haeun's family. It was safe to assume that Haeun might be suffering from the trauma she got in the past. Jungsoo was confused about how to make Haeun open her heart for him when he desperately wanted to be accepted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ouch!"

 

 

 

Jungsoo's unending thoughts broke when he heard Heechul's half-scream. When he turned to him, Heechul was securing his hold on Haeun in one hand while the other was nursing his head. Instinctively, Jungsoo assisted him in speed record.

 

 

 

"What happened?"

"I bumped to this shelf."

 

 

 

Jungsoo continued to examine in case there was an open cut wound on Heechul's head. His trained fingers kept the injured part as he blew soft air on it. Heechul smiled and turned to Haeun. His plan worked when Haeun's gaze locked in Jungsoo. The tensed look melted slightly.

 

 

 

"See, sweetie? Papa is not scary. He will protect us."

 

 

 

Jungsoo froze because he finally understood what Heechul was trying to do and again, Heechul kept on impressing him. He knew how to ease and please people. It was proven when Haeun timidly looked at him. Again, Heechul helped him find what he needed—acceptance. He tried to offer to hold her again and almost teared up when the little girl timidly stretched her hands to him. Carefully, he took the little girl from Heechul's arms and embraced her tightly.

 

 

 

"Right. I'll never leave you, Haeunie. Papa will always protect you."

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

"So, Haeun will be living with her new family starting from today."

 

 

 

The kids looked uninterested listening to the farewell speech from Mr. Ji. Haeun, on the other hand, was insanely terrified for all the attention that was centered on her. She kept on hiding behind Heechul, having no courage to face her friends. Heechul glanced back and smiled at how Haeun didn't seem to ever want to let his leg go.

 

 

 

"Haeunie, do you want to say goodbye?"

The said girl immediately shook her head. Jungsoo bent down and took Haeun's hand gingerly, encouraging his daughter to say something.

"Haeunie, please say thanks to your friends. Say that you'll visit later."

 

 

 

Haeun almost ran back to Heechul but her Mama had been crouching down beside her, smiling to boost her confidence. The kids were murmuring as Haeun seemed to take a longer time to prepare her heart.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter