Chapter 45

Perfect Imperfections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[BREAKING NEWS] Park Jungsoo, the CEO of Sapphire Blue Hotel, and Oh Jisook from Red Brick Property Corp. are getting married next month

 

 

 

 

 

Heechul stared at the big headline of a news site on his laptop screen palpably mocking his denial. His teary eyes still tried to find anything that would indicate this was only a rumor but unfortunately, he found none. This was surreal; everything was vague. So, this was the reason why Jungsoo rarely contacted him recently. Heechul smiled painfully and shifted his gaze somewhere else. Yet, that somewhere else had to be Jungsoo's cheesy note he stuck on his photo frame when Jungsoo constantly sent him lunch back then. Heechul was on the edge of his old scars that he thought he was brave enough to dive in, but he was not. It was all his fault; he should be ready to have his heart broken anytime. Now, what made this even more painful other than his own arrogance? He felt like fate had smashed his heart that he couldn't even try to pick up the pieces.

 

 

 

 

 

There was a soft knock on his door before it busted open revealing Donghae and Sungmin whose gaze was so somber. Heechul quickly rubbed his eyes, erasing the proof of his heartbroken. He closed the news and opened his work instead. Without looking at his subs, he tried to sound annoyed but failed miserably when a cracked utterance echoed.

 

 

 

"I'm busy. L-leave me alone."

 

 

 

 

 

However, his wall of pretense was overthrown when Donghae ran to him and pulled his tired body into a hug. His assistant cried loudly, tightening his hold.

 

 

 

"Hyung. It's okay to cry. I swear it's okay. It's f-fine."

 

 

 

Heechul finally let it go— the tears, the emotions, the pain. He melted it into the hug Donghae offered. Sungmin strode over and stood behind Donghae, right in front of him. Sungmin held his boss' hand gingerly which Heechul suddenly clutched tightly, squeezing the latter's fingers. He sobbed harder, resting his head on Donghae's shoulder. Oh, how he wished he could also rest his heart even for a moment.

 

 

 

"It hurts. I-it hurts like hell."

"Just cry, hyung. We're here for you."

 

 

 

 

 

Sungmin looked away, blinking away the tears that threatened to fall. He came closer and hugged Heechul too, rubbing his back softly. A happy ending was indeed only in a fairytale.

 

 

 

 

 

][-ooo-][

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jungsoo was sitting in his office motionless. He was defeated, letting the sorrow engulfed his body wholly. He knew the news came out today and he also ing knew he was done for. In the end, what he had in mind all the while his mother was recovering came true. He couldn't bear selfishly disappointing his family; Hyukjae had been so deplored and showing no interest in living every time the topic was brought up. All he could do was regretting—that he couldn't look at his mother getting all weak, that he couldn't stand seeing his brother becoming so pathetic, that he couldn't keep his promise to Heechul. 

 

 

 

He looked at Heechul's photo on his phone longingly, his grip turning his knuckles white. The beautiful smile he loved so much; the smile he swore he would protect it sincerely; the smile was now stained or worse painted black all by his own deed. Tears were dripping down his eyes as if it could wash away the mistakes he made. Facing Heechul became a task beyond his limit. Pathetic would never be enough to describe how Jungsoo saw himself now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

][-ooo-][

 

 

 

 

 

Kyuhyun parked his car messily in front of the building he rarely visited. He quickly got off his car and slammed the door rather strongly. Two security guards immediately approached him to which he could only mentally curse.

 

 

 

"Good evening, Sir. May I- Oh, Mr. Cho, it's been a long time since you came here. I'm sorry, Mr. Cho, but may I know what is your business here?"

"Heechul-hyung. He's still here, right?"

 

 

 

The man frowned before he nodded hesitantly. Kyuhyun's patience was thinning and he urgently shoved his ID to the guard before dashed entering the building.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

The office was really quiet as the sign that almost all of the people working here had gone home. Yet, Kyuhyun knew for sure that he had to be here. He quickly reached for the elevator and his feet couldn't stop fidgeting when he painfully counted the floor to the one he was going. When the lift barely opened, he had sneaked his body to jog to the particular room—Heechul's office. His steps, however, slowed down as soon as he arrived at his destination and once again, his instinct was right. The bright room among the other dimmed ones was vivid proof that Heechul was still here. Panting, he reached for the doorknob before turning it ever so quietly. 

 

 

 

The moment the door was cracked open, his trained eyes immediately landed on the form lying on the couch. Soju bottles were littering all over the place. He carefully barged in, avoiding the trashes that could make any slightest noises. He halted as he looked at Heechul's saddening state intently—clothes disheveled, hair a mess, flushed face. He crouched down in front of the older's face and failed to will down the need to brush Heechul's pinkish cheeks, the way they would turn redder when Heechul was drunk. He grazed his fingers over the skin and his selfishness began to rebel wanting to break loose.

 

 

 

 

 

"Why can't you love me, hyung? I promise I'll be good to you."

 

 

 

Kyuhyun continued to Heechul's face lovingly even when he noticed Heechul's brows twitched a little. The quietness of the room, the heavy smell of liquor, the glimmering moonlight adding the bright bluish artificial one inside the room—as though they all provoked Kyuhyun to do more; he was about to lose himself. Slowly, he leaned closer, shortening the already short gap between their faces. Heechul's breath was filling his nose like an intoxicating perfume making him delirious. 

 

 

 

However, his feelings were washed away when he saw a lone tear rolling smoothly from the corner of Heechul's eye. Kyuhyun clenched his fist tightly and backed away as the realization hit him that what he was going to do was not right.

 

 

 

"Hyung. Wake up. I'll take you home."

 

 

 

Heechul didn't budge. Kyuhyun sighed and slowly began to clean up the mess that couldn't compare the mess causing Heechul to drink madly.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

"Finally."

 

 

 

Kyuhyun sighed, wiping the buds of perspiration on his forehead. The place was a bit cleaner now and Heechul, unbelievably, was still unconscious. Kyuhyun glanced at the clock showing that it was getting late. He rolled his sleeves up to his elbow and squatted in front of Heechul. Carefully, he heaved Heechul's body to his back with so much struggling he didn't give a damn. His hands supporting Heechul's weight securely, he finally walked o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter