Chapter 42

Perfect Imperfections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The parking lot was almost empty as the party had ended a while ago. Only a few vehicles were there, most likely the newlywed's relatives and close friends. Heechul mentally cursed when he remembered that he came here with Kangin. He grouched loudly, feeling even more frustrated by how things seemingly were not in his favor from the start.

 

 

 

 

 

"Heechul."

Without even turning back, Heechul knew whose voice it was. Yet, he was not in the mood to talk to actually anyone.

 

 

 

"Leave me alone."

"But-"

"I said leave me alone!"

 

 

 

Jungsoo sighed, it was useless to press Heechul when the latter was being this upset. So, leave he did. Heechul was extremely surprised when he heard steps marching away leaving him. He thought Jungsoo was still being the persistent man that he was. But, he really just left Heechul like that. Heechul's heart clenched; the supposedly happy occasion turned out to be a disaster at least for him. He angrily wiped his tears, feeling stupid for being weak. Jungsoo was finally showing how tired he was to always comfort him. Heechul shut his eyes tightly. He didn't need Jungsoo to comfort him, he had to learn to heal himself.

 

 

 

 

 

A black Rolls-Royce Heechul knew so much stopped right in front of him and the owner rolled down the window. As if his arrogance was fractured, he knew he assumed too early.

 

 

 

He did need Jungsoo.

 

 

 

"Get in, Heechul. Let's go home," Jungsoo said calmly. Heechul was stunned because when he thought even Jungsoo had changed, he had not. He was still the Jungsoo he knew. Heechul wasted no time and immediately got in the car. He was ashamed; Jungsoo knew him well, too damn well. He badly needed to go home to rest his mind so he could think straight and that was what exactly Jungsoo did, taking him home.

 

 

 

"Sorry."

 

 

 

Jungsoo beamed, stretching his hand to lower Heechul's seat slightly. He, then, advanced and kissed Heechul's forehead softly.

"Sleep, baby," Jungsoo whispered, brushing his thumb over Heechul's forehead just like what he used to do, smoothing the frown Heechul had been wearing since this morning. The action itself was able to sooth Heechul's distraught.

 

 

 

 

 

][-ooo-][

 

 

 

 

 

 

DING DONG

 

 

 

Heechul put down his laptop from his lap and dashed to the front door when he heard the bell rang. It was already late and he wasn't expecting someone either. The bell rang once again and Heechul rolled his eyes to the impatience of whoever it was.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hyung."

 

 

 

Heechul's eyes dilated when he saw his cousin standing in front of his apartment door. Thankfully, he'd cooled down and was ready to listen to any s Kangin would say.

 

 

 

"Let's talk."

 

 

 

Heechul opened his door, motioning Kangin to come in. As they sat down, Heechul had no longer knew courtesy, all he needed now was a ing explanation. Kangin was restless—chewing his lip, bringing his clasped hands on his nape. He really didn't know where to begin. Heechul had been keeping a distance, literally, as the older chose to sit on a stool, far for him but close enough for them to talk.

 

 

 

"So, tell me again. You're leaving?" Heechul started to confront, his stare at anything but Kangin. 

"Yes, hyung. I'm moving out to Japan."

Heechul jeered, this still sounded ridiculous. Yet, he knew if he shoved his disbelief once again, nothing would explain why Kangin decided to go.

 

 

 

"I... Actually, I've been thinking about this plan since last year. I'm getting older and so are my parents. Living in Korea somehow makes me feel too limited. I want to try something new in a completely different circumstance. This will sound so ing dumb, but I want to find my new self there, a job, a partner, a life. What keeps me from going is... You, hyung. Really, don't get offended because it's nothing bad at all. I really want to protect you, hyung, ever since..." Kangin's words started to quiver when he remembered his late uncle. Heechul nodded, obviously getting what Kangin referred to. So, Kangin continued.

"We grew up together and I'm used to always having you around. Every time this idea crosses my mind, I can't help but think about how I'm going to live my life when I don't know your wellbeing. I really cherish you, hyung."

 

 

 

Heechul's eyes began to sting; tears were flooding. It was true, he unintentionally became dependent on his cousin since the damn accident. Now, that Kangin said it all, the familiar guilt ate him alive. If not for Kangin, he wouldn't make it this far; however, if not for him, Kangin would have gone so far finding the life he sought for. A pang of guilt slowly crept in his heart, lurching painfully.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Youngwoon-ah."

Hearing Heechul's shaky voice, Kangin's own tears fell.

"It's not your fault, hyung. I'll be very mad if you blame yourself for this. To protect you is my choice since day one."

Kangin paused, looking at Jungsoo's photo on one of the frames beside Heechul's books.

"Now... I'm finally ready to go. I never expect I'm gonna say this but..." His gaze shifted to his cousin's photo with him when they were still in college. His heart felt like it was being pierced by thousands of nails of memories. He surely would miss having Heechul to always nag him like how it used to be since they were a kid. He and Heechul had a bond that even siblings might not have, it was way deeper, moreover after Heechul's dad passed away. His eyes came back to Jungsoo's photo and somehow he finally found the lost certainty.

"But, I know I can trust Park Jungsoo to replace me looking after you. You don't know how much I love you, hyung. I'll come back if I have found what I'm looking for. So... P-please be fine when I'm away."

 

 

 

Heechul finally lost it, he strode over and threw his body to his cousin. Kangin would always be the person he loved the most. Frankly, he was the father figure he needed back then when he was at his lowest. He tightened his hold when Kangin sobbed on his shoulder, uttering his wish for him to be fine over and over again.

 

 

 

 

 

'Please be fine, hyung. Please.'

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter