048

Him & I

 

“Get that away from me.” Diana muttered as twenty-four-inch Hawaiian pizza, Yang Yang chuckled before pulling it towards him.

“Wait, so you met this guy when you just started here?” Haerin asked as she passed the hot sauce to Xiaojun.

“Kind of, he was..a little annoying at first.” Diana murmured as another pizza was served, Lucas looked up from his plate.

“A little? Really? Is that how we call it now?” He asked dryly, Kris’s brows rose up, amused.

“Well, he is annoying.”

“Diana, the dude literally followed you around campus like a lost puppy.” Hendery pointed out, Ming laughed.

“No, puppies are cute. More like a lost gargoyle?” Lina added, Yang Yang guffawed.

“Really? Diana never had the patience for unwelcomed~”

“Fine, I wanted him gone. But I didn’t want to come off as…rude.” Diana muttered before picking up her slice, her eyes narrowed as she saw slices of jalapeno.

Lucas pushed his plate towards her and she slowly dropped it down, Haerin smiled to herself.

“I thought you liked this place?” Lina spoke before chewing.

“I do. But, can we get~”

“I ordered lasagna for you. It’s already on its way.” Kris said before filling his glass with wine, Diana’s eyes went to Lucas briefly. He sent her a small encouraging smile before eating.

“Good, thanks.” She murmured before picking up her fork, she plucked out bits of cheese from Lucas’s slice and nibbled on it.

“So, Lucas, you got him expelled after what happened at that party.”

“That’s not..all he did, jie.” Xiaojun suggested.

“What else did he do?” Kris chimed in, Haerin glanced at her husband and patted his hand.

“Wait, what else did you do?” Diana asked as her lasagna arrived, she smiled happily as she picked up her fork.

“Oh, so you guys didn’t notice how he was limping? It looked permanent.” Yang Yang said conversationally.

“Oh my god, Lucas.” Lina shook her head, amused but not surprised.

 

 

“See you tomorrow, guys. And, Kris ge, Haerin jie, thanks for the meal!” Yang Yang said as he waved at the couple.

“Drive safely, you three.” Haerin called after them, Hendery and Xiaojun excused themselves and followed their friend.

“Well, we’ll head home first. It’s movie night.” Lina said before bumping hips with Diana.

“Got it. Please, no more horror films.” She called after them, Ming stuck her tongue out at the girl before hopping away.

“You two still have somewhere to go to, jie?” Lucas spoke, Diana glanced at him, her brows going up.

“Actually, no. We head straight home.”

“Then, jie, we have an event at school tomorrow. It’s nothing special, but it’s a school festival and our class has a booth.”

“Festival?” Kris echoed, Lucas discreetly reached for Diana’s hand and gave it a small squeeze.

“Yeah, nothing special though. They’re serving coffee and..stuff.” Diana trailed off.

“Diana hasn’t been paying attention when it comes to extracurricular stuff, please forgive her ignorance.” Lucas said light heartedly, Diana rolled her eyes at him. Kris smiled and nodded.

“We’ll be there.”

“That’s great, ge. See you.” Lucas replied, and then he turned to the girl.

“I’ll go bring the car around. Keys.”

“We can walk~”

“Nope.” He winked at her, Diana puffed her cheeks and tossed the ke y ob to him. Lucas bid the Wu couple a goodbye before walking away.

“I miss seeing you two interact. Warms the heart.” Haerin said with a smile as she hooked arms with the girl.

“Unnie, I~”

“Do you have time tomorrow?” Kris suddenly spoke, Diana turned to him and nodded.

“We don’t have classes tomorrow despite being required to go to school.” She said to him.

“Can…you make some time for me? I’d love to talk to you, mei.”

Haerin slowly detached herself from the two and approached their waiting car.

“I can. I’ll see you at school.”

“Mei~”

“I know, I know what you want to talk about. And to be honest, I’m willing to drop it, ge. If that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Drop what?”

“The company. I’m handing in my resignation tomorrow.”

“Diana, I didn’t mean that. I just wanted to talk to you, to check on you.” Kris said to her, Diana’s forehead creased.

“I want to fix things between us, Yinghua. I want to apologize.” He explained as he reached out to cup her cheek.

“I failed you, big time.” He said softly, a small delicate smile appeared on her lips.

“You can start with pa’s woman, ge.”

“I was…expecting that. What do you want to happen?”

“I want her gone.” She replied, her old self appearing before her brother.

“Consider it done.” He smiled, Diana grinned back just as Lucas’s car appeared by the curb. She paused briefly as he brother eyed the vehicle.

“Be careful.” He said before gesturing for her to go, Diana nodded back and got inside the vehicle.

 

 

“Well? Well?” Haerin was like a giddy toddler as her husband drove out of the parking lot.

“What?” Kris sighed, knowing where the conversation was going.

“Not so bad, right?”

“Yes.”

“I mean, seeing Diana again, with her friends, I can’t help but think that her old self is back, you know. Not the reckless side, of course. She’s happier and more open. Don’t you love that?”

“I do. And I know what you’re trying to say.” Kris replied, Haerin chuckled.

“Lucas does know which buttons to push, huh? I was worried the whole time that she might get angry.” Haerin said as she toyed with her seatbelt.

“I don’t see a lot people survive my sister. But, he…Lucas gets her. And, strange enough, they get each other.” Kris murmured.

“So, does the big brother approve now?”

“I no longer have the right to that, Haerin. I never did. I overstepped my boundaries with Diana.”

“Kris, she’s your younger sister, I understand that. I think everybody does.”

Kris shook his head and leaned back on the seat.

“But, I admit.”

“Hmm?” Haerin put her phone down.

“My sister is happier now. And I think, no, I know that I have Lucas to thank for that.”

Haerin smiled and nodded.

“Definitely not my father.” He said under his breath.

“But sometimes, I wonder, what would have happened if Diana really lost it and Lucas isn’t around to talk her out of it. Or calm her down.”

“Oh, I can imagine that. It would involve Kang Juyeon begging to be deported from the country and out Diana’s reach.” Haerin chuckled, Kris smiled.

“And you and your father tiptoeing around the youngest Wu, afraid to piss her off.”

“Well, cheers to Lucas.” Kris stated with a small smile.

“Cheers to you and Diana.”

 

 

“It wasn’t that bad, right?” Lucas said conversationally, they were at the boys’ dorm. Lucas decided to grab some snacks from their place before going to Diana’s.

“You can stop gloating now, Wong.” Diana pointed out as she joined him in kitchen. Lucas was rummaging through the cupboard.

“I’m just happy for you, Di.” He said as he faced her.

“I didn’t know you…did that to Junghoon.” She spoke, Lucas’s forehead creased ever so slightly.

“Why? Are you worried about him?” He asked, Diana scrunched her nose at him.

“Permanently injuring him? Really?”

“What he did, Diana, he doesn’t even deserve to be alive.” Lucas pointed out.

“But I’m okay now, and..you just..”

“I almost lost you, Diana. Hell, I thought I lose you. And, if I let him go easily, he’ll probably do it the third time and what if I’m not there? What if no one steps in to put him back in his place? What if you get really hurt?” Lucas met her gaze evenly.

Diana exhaled and put the water bottle down.

“Yeah, I should ask Hendery for that “I told you so”. Sorry.”

“See, I was right.” Lucas said proudly and puffed his chest.

“What are you, a caveman?”

Lucas shook his head at the girl before walking towards her and placing his hands on the counter behind the girl.

“Don’t be.” He mused before leaning down to press his forehead against hers.

“I don’t think…I’ve never thanked you, Wong. For..doing all this for me. handling all those awkward pauses earlier. Dealing with my not so pleasant mood swings. And my recent…episodes wherein you were stuck in a crossfire.”

“Crossfire as in, Diana against the males in her family?” He said a playful smile, Diana nodded back at him, then her brows went up, remembering something else.

“Inviting my brother tomorrow. Pretty brave of you.”  She started as she placed her hand on the side of his neck.

“You need to talk to him, Di. He’s trying. You should too.”

“I already said yes, what else do you want?” She said darkly, Lucas chuckled and pressed his lips against hers.

“You.” He winked at her and placed a quick kiss on her neck.

“Oh no, you really need help.” Diana balked at him.

“I don’t think so, I just need you.” He chirped before running away, Diana sighed and shook her head.

“A child. A giant child.” She muttered as she picked up the bags of chips and headed straight for the front door.

“Diana, wait!”

“Get lost!” She laughed before jogging away from the unit.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++