013

Him & I

 

“You’re still kinda crazy, but I guess that’s good.” Diana commented as they reached the waiting Range Rover, Yang Yang smiled, he had bought her a cup of Americano.

“I’m all about being consistent, Di. Welcome to SNU.”

“Thanks, it’s nice seeing a familiar face.” She said, Yang Yang paused, his brows rose.

“Just mine?” He spoke, she paused, she had her hand on the car’s door.

“What?”

“Just my face?”

Diana’s forehead creased and she looked away, Yang Yang blinked and shook his head.

“I—I’m sorry, Di. I meant it as a joke, I guess it’s too early to….joke about it.”

“Yeah, two years too early.” She said, Yang Yang bit his lip.

“Thanks for this. Drive safely.” She said before going inside the car, Yang Yang closed the door and watched as the vehicle left the parking lot. He puffed his cheeks and glanced behind him, Lucas was leaning against the hood of his Gallardo.

“Happy now?” He said as he approached the male, Lucas didn’t reply.

“Hey, things won’t get any better if you~”

Lucas ignored him and slid inside the vehicle, Yang Yang rolled his eyes as the sports car sped away from the property.

“Wow, not even a thank you for helping out because he couldn’t do it himself.” Yang Yang muttered before getting in his car.

 

 

The three friends looked up as they heard the front door open, Lucas walked in the unit, he tossed his bag on the couch.

“You’re late. We already had dinner.” Hendery spoke, he looked at them before pouring himself a glass of water.

“I ate outside.” Lucas said, his voice strained. Yang Yang winced and leaned back on the stool.

“Are you okay?” Xiaojun spoke, Lucas glanced his friends.

“No.” He replied coolly.

“It’s too late to transfer schools, I don’t think my father would let me live if I do that.” He recited as he set his glass down.

“And I can’t even change my schedule, so do you think I’m okay?”

“Lucas,”

Lucas tossed a folder across the table, Hendery was the first one to pick it up. He read the names on the papers and paused.

“Diana’s class schedule..and yours.”

“Holy , you have the exact same schedule.” Xiaojun almost choked, Yang Yang looked on, he wanted to laugh, but it was probably not the right moment.

“Lucas, you have to talk to her. To explain what really happened, because if you don’t, she’ll end up hating you.”

“She already does.” Lucas said softly, his forehead creasing.

“How do you know that? You spoke to her already?” Hendery replied.

“I promised I’d disappear, Guanheng. And I’m trying to hold my end of the bargain, and you’re not helping.”

“It wasn’t right that you took all the blame for that.” Hendery replied, Xiaojun remained quiet.

“This has been taking a toll on you, Lucas.”

“I’d rather deal with this, than hurt her again.”

“So, you think you didn’t hurt after that oh-so clean break you gave her two years ago?”

Lucas threw the glass across the room, it crashed against the wall loudly.

“I did it for her.” He said, his eyes cold and empty.

“No, you did it for her brother. Not for her. And not for yourself."

 

 

Diana leaned back on the headboard and pulled the covers towards her.

“Why did I choose that school?” She said to herself, she looked at her left hand, she traced the faint line from her wrist to her thumb.

“That matte black Gallardo was already a dead giveaway, you fool.”

“Of all places, really.” She murmured, she swallowed and exhaled. She chewed on the insides of her cheeks, she shouldn’t be bothered by this.

Lucas left. That’s it.

They had nothing to talk about. He doesn’t want anything to do with her anymore. He’s moved on and so she should she.

“I’m over him. I’ll be fine.” She said, and then the door opened, she looked up.

“I just got home, sorry for being late.” Kris said as she waved him over.

“It’s fine, ge. How was your day?”

“I am supposed to be asking you that. How was your first day of class?” Kris asked her, Diana gave him a small smile.

“Do you really want me to fake it and tell you it was fun? We’re talking about school, ge.” She said lightly, her brother laughed.

“I just wanted to see you before going to bed. Good night, Di.” Kris chuckled and patted her hand before leaving the room. Diana waved at him as he closed the door, and then she sighed before laying flat on the mattress.

Maybe we just weren't right.

She turned to her side and let her tears slide down the pillow.

 

 

“You keep on pushing his buttons and he just might blow up.” Yang Yang muttered as he followed Hendery towards the steps, he glanced back behind them. Lucas had just arrived and was in the process of parking his car.

“If we don’t do this, those two would just end up hurting.”

“But what really happened? Why were you talking about her brother?”

“Lucas was drunk driving, remember?”

The other male nodded.

“But they were on the right lane, his speed didn’t go over the limit. It was that damned truck who suddenly switched lanes.”

Yang Yang’s brows went up.

“He was drunk, yes. But it’s not really his fault. That’s why I hate how her brother pushed all the blame on him.”

“What did he mean about his promise?”

“Kris got really angry at him, and then he told Lucas if he still wanted to stay around her, he might as well pick up a knife and end Diana’s life right then and there.” Hendery said, the two stopped and turned. Lucas was crossing the street, he had his backpack over one shoulder, then a black Range Rover suddenly pulled over at their building.

“He told him, what?” Xiaojun was stunned.

“So, he made Lucas promise. He was to disappear and not leave any trace of him in Diana’s life. No contact or whatsoever. He didn’t even get to see her after that.” Hendery stated, they watched as the Rover’s door opened, and Diana slid down from the vehicle.

They saw how Lucas stopped when he saw her, Diana grabbed her purse and headed for the stairs and then she saw him. They saw how she frowned when her eyes went to him, but she shook her head and started to move.

“That’s why I feel frustrated. I just wish he could be honest with her. Because I have a feeling Diana has no idea what happened.” Hendery said softly, his eyes were on the two.

Lucas was about to move, but Diana went straight for the entrance without glancing back.

“You sound like you’re sure that Lucas wants her back.” Xiaojun told him, Hendery turned to his friend.

“I don’t think he ever let her go.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++