026

Him & I

“Food’s here.” Diana was smiling as their pizzas arrived, she balked at the sight of the Hawaiian one, she was about to complain when Lucas shushed her, and pointed to the other pizza.

“I’m telling you, Lucy’s got the hots for you, Lucas.” Xiaojun stated as Diana got herself a slice, she paused and glanced at the male beside her. She scrunched her nose and put a slice on his plate too.

“Thanks, Di.” He grinned at her.

“Hots?” Yang Yang chuckled as he began eating.

“What do you think, Di?” Hendery spoke up, she looked up in mid-chew and shut .

“Does it matter what I think? Lucy’s really nice.”

“Kinda bland, but sure.” Xiaojun was never the type to mince words, Hendery winced.

“Nice? She’s the type of girl you wouldn never get along with.” Lucas mused as he picked up his slice.

“Am I the one she likes?” She shot back as she took a sip of her cola, she blinked and looked around their table.

“Have you spoken to coach about the tournament next month?” Yang Yang spoke as Lucas switched drinks with her, Diana peered over the cup.

“It’s diet Coke. You drank cherry soda just now, give me that.” Lucas said to her, she pushed the other drink to him.

“Yeah, I did. I’m participating.” Lucas spoke, but the look on his face made Yang Yang hesitate to continue on.

“Right, about that, I thought you were never going to continue with the whole swimming thing.” She spoke to him.

“I thought so too.” Lucas replied, but he could feel her gaze on him and he sighed.

“I figured why not continue with it since I have free time now, I’ll never know what happens when I graduate.” Lucas explained with a sigh, he just wanted to dig in.

“I’m just curious, no need to show me the attitude.”

“You literally give me the attitude on a daily basis.” Lucas replied, he was smiling now as he dug in. Diana shook her head and handed him a napkin.

“You just know which buttons push, Di. If it were another person, Lucas would have exploded by now.” Hendery chuckled and leaned forward on the table.

“He’s crabby when he’s hungry, huh?” Diana mused as she picked up another slice for him.

“Always.” Yang Yang nodded solemnly, Lucas reached out and gently cupped her nape, Diana turned to him.

“Eat up.” He said softly, Diana picked up her slice and nodded at him.

“You have training later, huh?” She asked, Lucas nodded and set his hand down.

“Want to come by and watch? You used to do that.” He said comfortably.

“I’ll try.” Diana grinned at him.

 

 

“Looking at those two, I get confused. Is this high school?” Xiaojun mused, they were already back in campus, Diana and Lucas were walking ahead of them. The two were chatting animatedly as they crossed the school grounds, Diana was talking about something on her phone while Lucas had one palm on the center of her back.

“Looking at them…it makes you think that nothing even happened. It’s as if…it never did happen.” Yang Yang murmured.

“They just..click so well, it’s crazy.” Hendery said, he glanced at the two again. Lucas was laughing and shaking his head.

“I haven’t seen him laugh like that in…years.”

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but…Lucas…his old self is coming back. I mean, not all of it, but his playful side, all the jokes and just…his brightness. It’s there again.” Xiaojun trailed off, Diana glanced at them and waved them over to walk faster.

“How about Diana? Where…does she stand in all this?” Yang Yang spoke, Hendery tilted his head.

“Do you think there’s hope? The two of them?”

“I’d bet my inheritance on it.” Hendery chuckled before joining the two.

“It’s crazy how they complete each other.” Xiaojun stated, Yang Yang nodded back.

”I hope things work this time around.”

 

 

"Hey, Diana."

Diana smiled at Lucy as she joined her at their table, class was yet to start and the other students have not arrived yet.

"How was lunch? Lucas seemed to be in a sour mood,"

"He was just hungry. Don't worry." Diana said good-naturedly, Lucy glanced at her, her forehead creasing.

"Diana, I have a question."

Diana looked up from her laptop, and then she closed it gently.

"What is it?"

"You and Lucas, what...are you two, best friends?"

Diana paused, she her lips before replying.

"Why do you ask?" She anwered with a question, Lucas smiled and leaned back on her seat.

"I just wanted to ask you before I...ask him out."

Diana blinked at her, and then she diverted her gaze to board.

"You like him,"

"I've always had a crush on him, Diana. I have noticed him since freshman year, he would only hang out with his friends, you know."

"Yeah, typical Lucas." Diana grew a little awkward, and she started to draw circles on her binder.

"He was never really welcoming to other girls too, so that's why I was so surprised when you came in."

"Ah, me?"

"Yes, he treats you differently, that's why I wanted to ask you before doing anything." Lucy spoke carefully, Diana nodded back at her.

"Are you two really just friends?" Lucy asked her.

"Yeah, Lucas has always been a good friend to me. Don't worry, go ask him out."

"Great, thanks." Lucy beamed at her, Diana nodded back and looked at her binder.

He is so going to kill me.

 

 

“You know; at some point I am going to ask.”

Lucas glanced at her, they were walking towards the parking lot, he spotted Jaehyun standing by his car.

“About what?”

Diana was about to speak when she saw Junghoon by the gates, her forehead creased.

“Your arm. Or shoulder.” She stated, Lucas tensed, she saw how his jaw twitched.

“Di,”

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to ask now. I know you, Wong. You’d tell me eventually. You used to do that.” She said with a teasing smile, Lucas shook his head at her, but he had a grin on his face.

“Don’t even try to hide it, the upcoming tournament bothers you.” She said to him, Lucas shifted his body, so Junghoon’s view of her was blocked.

“It does bother me.”

“So, swimming does still matter.” She said, Lucas nodded back.

“You can do it. You always have.”

“Yeah, I wish. Junghoon’s just behind us, ready to pounce.” He winked at her, Diana groaned and peeked by his shoulder. The male gave her an enthusiastic wave, Diana pulled back and puffed her cheeks.

“Get rid of him before he causes problems, Di.” Lucas told her, she looked up to meet his gaze.

“Then tell me why your arm hurts.” She replied, Lucas’s lips curled up.

“Hmm, well, should I give him your number?” He replied, Diana socked him in the arm, Lucas laughed.

“Need to know basis. Besides, it’s nothing.”

“It’s not nothing. But I’m not going to push you to talk. See you tomorrow, Wong.” Diana said as she took her bag from him, Lucas nodded at her.

“Thanks for lunch, Wong. You will have to let me pay next time though.” She said as she fixed the straps on her shoulder.

“Di?” Jaehyun called for her, Lucas scrunched his nose at her.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Lucas gently took her hand in his and gave it a small squeeze before walking away from her, Junghoon was about to move forward, but the look on the tall male’s face made him stop.

“Are you cold?” Jaehyun asked as he reached her, Diana shook her head and followed him to the car.

“No, oppa. I’m okay.” She glanced over her shoulder again, Lucas was already heading towards his car, she smiled to herself and slid inside Jaehyun’s Bentley.

It’s terrifying. But it feels right. What are you doing to me, Wong?

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++