044

Him & I

 

Diana smiled as she read the words on her laptop’s screen. Her father’s other woman was lying about being pregnant. A private investigator had just proven it.
She leaned back on the sofa and put the laptop away.
Diana stood up and walked toward the desk, then she paused when she heard the door open. Ming was standing before her, with Haerin.
Diana paused briefly, her forehead creased, but as soon as the older girl smiled at her, she relaxed.
“Relax, I’m not here to talk about your brother, or your father.” Haerin mused as she walked in the room, Ming left, giving the two some privacy.

“Unnie, I~”
“I won’t ask any questions. I just...want to come clean to you.” Haerin said as she took the girl’s hands in hers, Diana’s brows rose before hugging her sister-in-law.
“About what, unnie?” She asked as they both sat down.
“I knew, Di. Since day one.”
“Huh?”
“That you and Lucas were going to cross paths.”
Diana stilled and could only stare at her sister-in-law.
“Y—You knew? But, how come~”
“I didn’t want Kris to know. I didn’t want to....I didn’t want anything or anyone to interfere.”
“Unnie~”
“I’ve always rooted for you and Lucas, Diana. And I had a feeling that what your brother was claiming couldn’t be all true.”
Diana chewed on the inside of her cheeks, Haerin smiled and patted her hand.
“Well, I know everything now, unnie.”

“I heard. I mean, I pieced it all together when I was informed your president now.”
Diana’s forehead creased, she was about to speak but Haerin shook her head.
“And, I’m proud of how you handled that other woman. Your brother would never have the guts to do that. To go public just to get rid of her.”
Diana was about to reply when they heard a car pull over outside, the two women glanced at the windows and saw Lucas sliding down the vehicle with some food in hand. Haerin chuckled.
“I’m really glad I chose not to interfere, Di.”

 

 

“Okay, not having Diana around feels weird.” Yang Yang murmured as they stepped out of the lecture hall, Lucas’s brows rose and he glanced at his friend.

“How is she?” Hendery spoke.

“I saw all the news about Kang Juyeon, Diana’s recent takeover that stunned the business world. But I think people are secretly loving what she did. I mean, I do.” Xiaojun mused.

“Her brother….where does he stand in all this?” Hendery murmured, Lucas exhaled and shrugged.

“Honestly, I don’t really care.” Lucas said, the other three turned to him.

“I’m just worried that this might get to her head, you know. Diana….I get that she’s angry,” Lucas frowned before continuing.

“But it bothers me how angry she is. I don’t want her to lose control.”

“Lucas~”

“She’s doing this to her family, I don’t like it.” Lucas explained, and then his phone started to ring, it was Diana.

“So, what are you going to do? Stop her? Talk her out of it?” Yang Yang asked him.

“Do you think anyone can talk her out of this?” He snorted as they headed for the parking lot.

“Actually, yes.” Hendery chimed in, Lucas paused.

“If there’s anyone that can do that, it’s you.”

“Hen~”

“I don’t know if you can remember this, but you once told me, that Diana kept you stable and sane throughout high school. She listens to you, Lucas. You keep her sane as well.”

“I don’t control her.”

“Nobody does. But right now, you’re the only one who can reach her. Just you.”


Lucas turned his head from the TV and saw Diana by the counter, finishing some schoolwork. He glanced at Lina and Ming, they both gave him quick nods.
He lifted himself off the couch and sauntered towards the girl, Diana looked up.
“Hungry?” She asked as he sat beside him, Lucas shook his head.
“You didn’t come to class today.”

“Oh, I was at the company. I needed to check on some documents, and review new contracts. Did I miss a lot?” She asked, Lucas gently pulled her laptop from her and shut it close. Diana turned her gaze to him.
“Diana, are you...sure with all this?”

“Hmm?”
“I mean, I know you’re doing a great job. But school.” Lucas turned the stool so that the girl was facing him.
“I know, I know.” She ran her fingers through her hair, Lucas gave her a small smile.
“I’m just....” She chewed on her lower lip.

“It doesn’t feel like it’s over, you know.”
“What are you talking about?” Lucas asked, Diana reached out to cup his cheek.
“What happened was really wrong. And we wouldn’t have to be this messed up if some certain people didn’t decide to control what was going to happen to us.”
“Diana, I’m not angry with your br~”
“But I am.” She said as she slid down from her seat, Lucas exhaled.

“He’s your brother, Diana. He is family.” He said as he cupped her cheeks.
“Now it’s his time to learn, Wong.” She explained, he sighed before pulling her towards him to press his forehead against hers.
“Diana, I’m okay now. You don’t~”

“Just until things settle down, please? He took so much from me, and it’s unfair.” She frowned, Lucas scrunched his nose at her, not wanting to argue.
“Be nice.” He warned before kissing her cheek, Diana chuckled before getting themselves something to drink.
“I try.” She said, Lucas rolled his eyes at her.

“I mean it, Di. Be nice.” He repeated, Diana paused and she turned to him.

“Trust me, I’m trying.”

 

 

“Wow, you still know your way around campus?”

Diana grinned as Xiaojun hopped towards her.

“I know, sorry for my absence. I hope it was felt deeply.” She joked back, the male chuckled and walked with her. She spotted Yang Yang and Lucas making their way towards them.

“Ming was talking about this restaurant she wants to try. So, you guys up for dinner?” She asked, Xiaojun nodded back.

“Yeah. I’m free.”

“Look at you, Diana Wu being a student.  A rare sight nowadays.” Yang Yang said teasingly, she rolled her eyes at him.

“Why didn’t you call? I would have come by to pick you up.” Lucas asked as he stretched one arm to her, Diana smiled and shook her head at him.

“I wanted to drive myself.” She replied as he hooked his arm around her waist, Lucas broke into a smile before pressing his nose against the side of her head.

The four started to walk towards their class when a familiar figure appeared before them. Xiaojun and Yang Yang both winced.

“Diana,”

Lucas glanced at the girl, her brows rose.

“What do you want?” She said, her brother exhaled before speaking.

“Let’s talk about this.”

“Oh, so now you want to talk.” Diana shook her head, Lucas dropped his arm to his side.

“I can explain.” Her brother was meeting her gaze, Diana nodded back.

“Sure.”

Lucas glanced at her again, Diana could feel his eyes on her and she chewed on her lower lip.

“Yinghua, please.”

“You never even gave me the chance to talk back then, ge. I had no choice to but to blindly listen to you.” Diana faced him, Kris winced and looked away.

“And, now you want to talk? Humor me, brother.” She chuckled before sidestepping him and making her way towards the building. Yang Yang and Xiaojun walked after her.

Kris turned his head, he halted when he realized that Lucas was still standing before him. He had an unfathomable look on his face before meeting his gaze.

“You can’t.” He spoke to him, Kris grew confused.

“What are you talking about?”

“You can’t talk to her. Not this way. She won’t hear you out.”

“Lucas, you don’t~”

“I may not understand everything, but what I do know is that, it will take more just an explanation for your sister to come back to you.”

“Are you gloating right now?” Kris shot back.

“If I wanted to do that, I would have done so years ago by contacting her and telling her the truth.” Lucas replied evenly, Kris’s lips thinned.

“I admit, I made a mistake. I never should have done that. I was bad for her.” Lucas told him.

“But I’ve always did love her. I love your sister. And because of that, I want her to have her family back.”

Kris’s forehead creased.

“I really hope you get to fix things between the two of you.” Lucas said before following his friends, he looked up and found Diana staring back at him. He gave her a small smile as he went up the steps.

Diana nodded back at him before going inside the building.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++