6. New office

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

                 

               I giggle and walk out the office. I hadn't even realise that it was dark out. The secretary already gone. 

I see a dim light of the end of the corridor. Attracted by the light, i decide to walk toward it. 
The light is coming from the office. 
On it's door, in capital letters, is written : KIM JONGIN, CEO.

I gently knocks three times and a masculine voice invite me. 
I lost my nerve at once.

As i step into dimly lit room, i discover Kim Jongin at his desk. Burried with paperwork.
Despite his young age,there's something intimidating about him. 
A kind of strenght,powerful yet worrying.
The city lights pierces through a bay window reflecting off his suit. 
Even at the end of the day, he's still impeccable. 

What's hiding behind that apparent self-control, Mr. Kim?

He seems so engrossed in his works that he's forgotten my presence.

"Mr. Kim Jongin...?" I finally call out his name after debating of should i clear a throat or just call him.

He frowns, turning a page over. He lift his head up at me and his face relaxes.
In his eyes, i see that same arousing intensity that penetrates the deepest part of me and worm itself into my gut.

"So,Miss Son, what have you decided?" He asked

"To accept your proposition." I answer him firmly. 

"It wasn't a proposition Miss Son."

"Let's just pretend it was."

He smiles. His expression isn't that of satisfaction. He probably find his victory easy. But i'am not gonna make it too easy.

"On one condition."

He slowly leans back on his chair, rubbing his chin. His eyes glisten differently.
Amused. He motion for me to go on.

"I don't mind playing the secretary for certain things. But you must also entrust me with interesting project and give me responsibility. I want to be able to move up, learn at your side. I want my job to means something."

He straightens up, joining his hands together on his desk.

After all he came to get me,so i have the upper hand. I have to put my conditions forward now. Tommorow will be too late.

"Very well, from now on you will be available at all times. I want to be able to contact you when i need. I need to be able to trust you, i aim for excellence,i don't expect a job to be done correctly or acceptably. Mediocrity doesn't interst me." He said with a firm voice.

He continued," your job will includes organising galas, choosing restaurant but also dealing with interviews for which i don't have time. Reporting back to me on our activities abroads or advising me on my choice of suit."

But wait, i have to raise the available issue. "I will make myself available of course. But not at all hours!"

"I'am not a slave driver Ms. Son, but as soon as you step in to your office up until you leave this building, you must be available."

Judging by the tone of his voice, it's not negotiable..

"Very well, Mr. Kim. Naturally, excellence and my devotion to the job have a price." I raise an eyebrow looking at him. I have to talk about my salary.

Playing with fire gets you burned, but i can't help it.

"What is your price?" He asked 

His question totally disarms me... nobody ever asked me that before. Generally, people warn you that the salary will be low, to begin with..

"Well... 56.000.000 won a year." I answer.

Am i really asking for such a sum?!

A smirk comes to his lips. He's really charming when he smiles 

"Ah... very well. I'll have your contract modified then, cause i'll saving several thousand won per a year. I had anticipated 65.000.000..."

I'am dumbstruck! I think i must look a like cooked clam. I've really miss an opportunity to keep my mouth shut! I should have know that talking contract now was a little risky!

"Miss Jung will bring you your contract....,modified, tommorow morning." He said.

Krystal !? Oh no... she's the last person i want to see...

He motion that i may leave. "Good evening Ms. Son."

"You too, sir.."

As i leave his office, i just realise he's just won twice! He's good. Too good.
I can tell that working with him isn't gonna be easy. But the idea excite me more than it frighten me..
.
.
.
              In the next morning, i go to the 42nd floor to get my stuff. Sehun isn't arrive yet and Yixing isn't in his office. A few colleagues lift their eyes at me as i casually get my stuff all together. 
I would have like to say good bye rather than leave them with an empty desk. I didn't even get the chance to tell Sehun.

Carrying my box,i step in to the elevator. As the door closes, i sigh. Good bye to the little newcomer, welcome to Naeun, Mr. Kim Jongin's assistant.

As i step into the entrance hall, i take a glance at the secretary.  Wow, it's yet another one! 
Does Kim Jongin collected them or what? Does he have one for each other day of the week?? I smile at her and make my way to my office.

As i push the door open with my foot, i almost drop everything on the floor.

Krystal!

She looks at me patronisingly as i struggle to close the door without dropping all my stuffs.

"Ms. Jung, what can i do for you?" I asked

"I have your contract....modified." she utters the last for with the hint of irony.

I put my box down on the desk and quickly tidy up my shirt. 

"Oh,thank you."

She hand me the paper, looking disgusted. 
As i go to take the document, she doesn't let go immediately. 

"Managing to lower your salary, i think that's a first!." She say this sniggering.

I gaze at her not losing countenance.

"And i'am sure you enjoyed making the modification."
I take a pen and sign the paper in front of her disdainful look.

"I don't know what you did to get this post but i'll found out sooner or later." 

"Is that a threat?" I asked

She just look at me sideaway and snatch the documents ans walk out.

Krystal jung i hate you !
.

.
.
.
               

                I didn't see Kim Jongin at all today. We exchanged by email, i had lunch with Sehun and Kyungsoo to tell them the news. I don't really know how Sehun took it. Even if he congratulated me and teased me a little, he wasn't as talkative as usual. As for Kyungsoo... well he never talks anyways..

I'am gonna miss Sehun. I'm by myself here, quiet evidently, my means of communication with Kim Jongin will be remote. I close the last open window on my computer, it's time to leave now.

Suddenly i noticed someone in front of me. I jump!

"Mr. Kim..?"

How long he has been here,exactly?

"The day has not over yet Miss Son, we have an interview with MBC news." He said

"We??" I point to myself while widened my eyes.

"You're coming with me. You have to learn." He said.

I quickly glance at the time. " but it's 7.30 PM." 

"Do you remember, i asked you to be available on request." 

His words come back to mind : ".....until you leave building." Something else i should looked into before accepting.

Anyway, i can't really see myself explaining how i need to go home for my hamster. 

"Would you like me to call the cab?" I said.

He smiles. "It won't be necessary, Miss Son."

He usher me out of the office and leads me to the elevator. At this time, there is nobody else around!

As we both step in the elevator, it's as if my body was reacting subconsciously.

I feel attracted. Magnetised, like a moth to the light. 
There is something about him that stirs me. It's physical...
I sigh fixing the ground to straighten my thought.

"Is everything ok?" His voice break my thoughts.

"Yes.. yes... of course." I stuttering

Have you ever been in the presence of a man who while he wakes your need for protection also arouses exhilarating passion?

It's what i feel when i'am with him though i hardly know him.

The place...the sensation of his presence give me...all reminds me.... of my encounter in this elevator that night with a stranger. 

My God! What if....

I'am cripple by a terrible thought!

What if the mystery man was, in fact,Kim Jongin???

I suddenly feel feverish, i tighten my arm around my bag, clenching my cold wet hands.

No! That's too crazy! I'am out of my mind! I should quickly get a grip before i arouse suspicion.

"Are you sure you're okay? You're very pale... suddenly." He asked me again.

"Yes.. yes.. it must be the elevator lights." I give him a faint smile.

In another world, i could have replied : "actually i'am wondering whether or not you're the guy i almost made love with, in this elevator??"

But in the real world, i'll just starring at the changing floor numbers and prying that we get out of here as quickly as possible.

Once outside, i follow Kim Jongin to a large limousine.
The chauffeur, a young man dressed in a suit, nods at me politely.

His looks is direct. His shoulder are broad. His hazelnut eyes are observing me.

"Let me introduce to Lee taemin. Taemin, Miss Son my new assistant." Kim jongin introduce me to the owner of that hazelnut eyes.

"Good evening, Miss Son." Lee taemin greet me in such a polite yet i don't know...captivating?

"Good evening Mr. Lee."

Nodding, he open the wide passanger door, folding one arm behind his back. How elegant!

Mr. Kim delightly pushes a hand behind my back, inviting me into the car. His touch, if innocent, is nonetheless stirring...

My hormones are really gonna have to cool it!

Lee taemin close the door and walks around to open Kim Jongin's side. Mr. Kim is typing on his phone.

The inside of the car is spacious. I gently touch the leather of the seat.
When looking at the details of the luxurious inside, i find myself thinking that it really is classy! I'd never sat my behind in a limousine before.

Kim Jongin slides next to me and lee taemin shut the door. He then goes to the front of the car and gets into the driver's seat.

"I'am going to need a funding plan and your bussiness plan in order to examine your project..." he talks on the phone

This proximity make me feel weak. His suit brushes against my arm and the smells of his parfume fill the car.

I cannot even hear what he's saying anymore. I feel overwhelmed by doubt amd anxiety.

What if it really was him? The guy in an elevator??

I press the docoments i'am holding against me and tighten my knees together. His hand is only a few inch from my thigh and i'am already blushing.

My mind keeps saying no! He wouldn't have pretended. He would've recognise me when i barge into the meeting room that day!

Or... he prefer to say nothing and playing with me. But in which case, he would have hinted. And yet, he's always very professional.

What's more, it's more probable that they simply wear the same perfume!

I think about the interview, i'am curious to see how the great Kim Jongin handles the journalist from MBC news.
He's definintely the type of guy who captivates his audience whatever the subjects. 
And he must be excellence when he's talking in his fields.

"The problem isn't financial, it's your lack of ambition..." his voice breaking my own dialouge.

Ambitions... i wonder if Kim Jongin built his empire from scratch or he got a little help from his family. 
Sehun's words comes to my mind yet... Kim Jongin doesn't seems to be a daddy's boy.

"Send me the documents before tomorrow morning. I'll get back to you before the end of the week." As he hangs up, i clear my throat, ill at ease. He sets his sharp eyes on me.

"Taemin, how long we'll get there?" He talked to taemin.

"Five minutes sir." Said Lee Taemin.

He types on his phone again.

"Relax,you'll do just great." He said to me to.

"Sorry? You're talking about the interview??" 

He give me an impish smile.
"I'am kidding, i'm not as cruel as to throw you in the deep end of your first interview."
He laugh placing his phone again to his ear. It seems that his eyes meet with Lee Taemin's in the rear view mirror.

We go into a very elegant lounge bar. Comfortable sofas are places around coffee tables.

Discreet background music pleasantly drift around the bar. 
A modern and refined place. Exactly like my young boss.

Mr. Kim seem to be their regular customer as he warmly shake hands with thw owner.

"The journalist are at the back, i placed you where it's quiet." The owner said to Mr. Kim.

"Thank you, Jhonny." Mr. Kim embrace him before moving to the back of the room . The two men evidently know each other well.

I walk up to him and we both make our way to the backnof the bar. He give me a gentle smile.

In a chamber, a little way from the rest, a woman journalist and a cameramen are getting ready.

As Mr. Kim walks up to them, the journalist seems, for a solit second, to have lost her power of speech.

Hey,looks like i'am not the only one to lose countenance in front of Mr. Intense.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
To be continued.