18.

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

The waiter clears our appetizers away, asking us if we enjoyed them. What a question! I give him my best smile nodding assent. Another waiter comes up to our table with a bottle of red wine. "Who would like to test the wine?"

"I would." I said.

Jongin seems surprised for a moment. I glance at him sideways. Am I hurting his slightly macho ego..? I swirl the liquid in my glass allowing the wine to breathe and releasing all the aromas. I note it's texture, its robe. Then I plunge my nose into glass, breathing its full are, I gently take a sip, tasting it, looking concentrated. "Very good."
The waiter nods then fill my glass before serving Jongin. I make the most of Jongin's recent confidences to talk to him about Rose. "You told me last time that Rose was your half-sister. Your mother remarried then, after your father's death?"

Jongin rolls the bas of the glass between his thumb and his forefinger, looking dreamy. "After my father died, my mother never remarried. He was her first and last true love... Once we've found who we're looking for, everyone else seems...bland."

His eyes delve into mine as if they were trying to sound me out. I can't help but think about him. Since I've known him, all the others seem plain, sadly normal. "Three years after my father's death my mother had a brief affair. Rose is the fruit of this fleeting encounter, an accident for her...biological father who simply disappeared." A bitter smile distort his beautiful face. "I never knew what became of him. I only know that I took care of Rose like a real sister."

A big brother taking on the role of a cowardly father. That's why those two are so close.

"Was it your grandparents who raised you and Rose up?"

"My father's parents, yes."

A fleeting shadow passes over his eyes. I remember now that tje subject of his grandparents seemed a sensitive one. For that matter, I noticed that he doesn't talk about them as grandparents. He obviously isnt the daddy boy I had imagined at first. His past seems rather sombre and I feel he still has a monkey on his back... I don't feel sufficiently battle-hardened yet to try confront his demons. At least, not for the time being. The waiter politely interiors us to bring us our plates.

"Madam, sir, for the next dish here is our mi-cuit duck foie gras, served with a range of solliēs figs presented in petals. Bon appétit."

I gaze at the dish with longing. The figs are cu and spread out over the dish forming a kind of large flower. "Mmmh...it looks delicious!"

Jongin smirk. "You know a lot about me, but I know so little about you..."

"Are you kidding? I'm sure you keep detailed records of all your employees..." I let out an amused little sigh.

"Yes, my dear lady, I do make a minumin of enquiries beforehand when I hire an assistant." He tilts his head slightly to the side looking at me irresistibly.

"Not everyone has the same notion of what minimum is, mister..."

He raises a sardonic eyebrow before replaying. "Where does this insolence come from...?"

His question disarm me a little. To tell the truth, I don't know. Maybe I developed an ability to protect myself. Most often it helped me, but sometimes it can give me a somewhat aggressive image. "I don't know. Probably a natural reaction of self-protection."

"You don't need to protect yourself against me, i only want you good."

"Oh, now that you've started playing fair with me, you mean?" I look at him unblinking. I'm clearly referring to our quarrel in the jet and his belated revelation.

"You're...astonishing."

"You're intrigued by me, that's it isn't it?"

"I like challenges and you're a surprising little thing that I want to tame..."

"Don't try to tie me down, Mr. CEO, you won't succeed."

Again, he looks at me with a smirk on his face. "I didn't talk about tying you, I thought you liked playing with my ties ... If it's your fantasy, I can redo the same thing with other accessories. Whatever will satisfy you..."

I stay silent for a moment, redness comes to my cheeks. I let out a little nervous laugh. "But where do all these indecent proposal come from..?

"From you and your little greedy mouth that give me such an appetite ..."

I clear my throat. I'm suddenly very hot, very very hot. Jongin's idea always so interesting... As the server leaves with our plates, I breathe a sigh of relief. "Well, it was really delicious!"

"I think I saw that, little greedy guts."

I blush somewhat. It's true, I didn't leave a single crumb. My plate were almost shining when they left the table! "I simply appreciate the good things in life."

"I know." He looks me straight in the eye. A slow smile illuminates his face. Suddenly his gaze turns away from me and new expression animates his magnificent features. He puts his napkin down on the table and gets up smiling. I immediately look towards the object of his attention. Tje chef is coming up to our table and warmly greets Jongin.

"Miss... Good evening."

"Uh... Si... Sir, good evening." I have before me a living legend of gastronomy and I just sit there, rooted to my chair, stammering. I get up quickly to shake his hand. Wow, I'm lucky chef Pierre Gagnaire is in Seoul right now!

"Did you enjoy your meal?"

He's kidding me right?? I had gustatory with every dish! Let's just say that it's never happened to me before so close together!

"Sir, it was just... Perfect!!" I can't hide my enthusiasm! Meeting one of the most eminent chefs in the world is an exceptional opportunity! He gives me a charming smile.

"Let me introduce you to Miss Son Naeun. She is a fervent admirer of your work and is herself interested in gastronomy."

I address a grateful look to Jongin. I am not able to string three words together bit I couldn't dream of a better introduction.

"Oh, is that right?"

"Yes... I... I am very impressed by your career. I have followed every step and your arrival here in Seoul to open your restaurant branch, you're a living legend!"
He bends over slightly and nods gratefully. Talented people are often the simplest.

"Miss Son Naeun is being modest, she has a lot of talent in the culinary field, on that matter, she has a very interesting blog." Jongin looks at me.

"Oh! Really?"

"Yes... Yes... I have a blog, that's true."

naeun! Make an effort to be more talkative! You look awkward!

"Maybe you could see each other again, for an interview or somethin?."

"I'd be glad to."

Eh??? I think my brain is overheating and is twisting itself into knots! Is Pierre Gagnaire, one of the most starred chefs in this world accepting that I post interview with him on my very humble blog?

"Your cuisine is delight every time, thank you for this out of the ordinary moment, chef."

"Thank you, Mr. Kim I always try to mix new favour and then the them with my clients. Seoul is very inspiring for me. Well thank you, have a nice late evening."

"Thank you!!" I said happily.

The chef disappears unto the kitchen after having been to see some clients at the other tables. I stay rooted to the spot, my eyes fixed on him.

"Is everything ok?" Jongin voice wake me up.

"Yes yes yes!!" I feel like I'm in another world, still in orbit.

"You should sit down and drink something, lady." Jongin pull out a chair for me to sit on then serves me a little water.

"Did you ask the chef to come over for me?"

"I put a word in..."

"You should never have told him about my blog, it's really... It's too much... I mean it's of little importance to him, I feel ridiculous..."

Jongin's look hardens. "Firstly, never think that someone is superior to you. And secondly, never say the word ridiculous when you're talking about yourself."

I stare at him, a little surprised. He's not joking at all. It isn't the first time that I notice how much he hates it when I out myself down. "You said that... But a part from making fun of me the other time, you didn't really look at my blog."

"I went back to look at it when you left... I would never have said that to the chef just to flatter you, I said it because I really thought so."

My heart wraps in a strange sweetness. I am really touched that he took interest in my passion. And I know him enough now to know that he wouldnt tell me that just to please me.

"I even have some tips on how you could improve your metrics and KPI."

"My what???"

He smiles, puts his hand on mine and murmurs in a soft voice. "We'll talk about that another day. For the moment i just want to make the most of you..."

Fire! I'm on fire! It's all too much for my little heart in one evening!

**************************************************************