20. Girls talk

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

The midday sun caresses my skin as I go down for lunch. I bend my head backwards enjoying the warmth of its rays, smiling with pleasure. I'm so happy, the night I spent with Jongin was wonderful... Since I left his arms, I feel like I'm floating above the ground. I feel invincible. Nothing can get at me today! Not even the scatging remarks of the very dear Krystal! 

I notice Taemin. He hasn't seen me. His attention is caught up in the bustle of the Seoul workers. 

"Taemin, hi!" I shouted out enthusiastically. But he turns around a little nonchalantly, his mouth half-closed so as not to drop his cigarette. 

"Hey." His tone is cold... It's beginning to get on my nerves. 

"Have you eaten?" 

"Not yet."

"Well good, me neither! Would you be tempted by a sandwich?"

He pouts not looking too thrilled by the idea.  

"You're not allowed to say no. We have to talk."

He gives me a friendly smile. With the decided look I have on my face, he gives in, throwing his cigarette on the ground. "Okay, okay..."

We walk to Bob's truck. Sehun and Kyungsoo aren't there. It's too bad. Their presence would have helped me face Taemin. After ordering, we step back. 

"Look, Taemin... For some time now, I've been feeling you distant... I don't like this awkwardness between us." He remains silent for a few seconds and pulls out a new cigarette from his jacket pocket. I'd noticed how smokers often gave themselves this respite in discussions. 

"I'm not distant."

"Say he, scowling down at his cigarette looking pretty angry." 

He flashes a sideline glance whilst lighting his cigarette. "I thought you were different, that's all."

"Different?"

"Yeah."

I sigh heavily, gazing into the distance. A hand on my hip. "You know what, all things considered, it was a bad idea. I'm going to eat on my side, I don't want to have to put up with your bad mouth!" 

Taemin stare at me, surprised. He runs a hand through his hair. His face changes expression. "It's...I don't want Kim Jongin to hurt you..."

"Hurt me...?" I plunge my eyes into his, feeling puzzled. What does he mean?

Taemin opens his mouth several times but no sound comes out. 

"What? Has it got something to do with that car that was following us the other night?" 

"No... Well yes, that too."

"Taemin, please, I don't understand what you're trying to say!"

Bob proudly shouts our order number out, which allows for me to cool down a bit. Taemin grabs the sandwich and we both walk a little away. "I know my boss, I know how things end with his conquests." 

I stare at him, dumb. So he knows.

"Naeun, maybe I'm just a former soldier, but I can tell when two people fooling around!" 

"I... You..." His curt remarks shuts me up. 

"Generally they're nothing like you. They're usually girls... from the upper... Snobbish. They barely even look at the driver. But you, you're... well..." He clears his throat, obviously feeling uncomfortable. "I mean, it would be a shame if you were to bear the cost of his....practices."

My heart is thumping in my chest. I don't know what to say. I feel wounded, soiled. I'm nothing like those girls he's talking about and my relationship with Jongin is different! Taemin can't just a hoot something like that at me! I can't really see myself telling him that there's nothing between Jongin and me. Let's be realistic, its plain as the nose on you face. And lying to him won't make things any better between us. It's better to tell it like it is. 

"Taemin... You're wrong. Jongin isn't like you think he is." He sighs heavily, looking over my shoulder, I have the unpleasant feeling that it isn't the first time he's heard something like that. "Jongin had a tough childhood, he confided in me... He's nothing like the golden boy depicted in magazines! And... He's done a lot for me... He took me to a wonderful restaurant, he introduced me to the chef! He's been very attentive to what could please me!"

This time, Taemin's face distorts and his expression become caustic. "It's easy to spend without counting, when by the time you've eaten two mouthfuls you've already earned enough to pay the whole meal." 

"Okay... But he took me back to his, he made me discover his intimacy."

"Yes, I know, that's what angered me the most... He should never have taken you there, you're better than that!"

"Oh, you mean he should have settled for screwing me in his office?!" The brutality of my words disconcerts him. 

"Of course not..."

"You tell me you're afraid he'll treat me like one of his brainless conquests, and then you reproach him for taking me home and spending time with me. Sorry Taemin, but I don't follow!"

"I...." He looks at me, as if he were conscious of having gone too far. "I'm sorry, I..."

"I've lost my appetite now. Thanks a lot." I nervously throw the sandwich into the bin next to me and in turn and walk away, furious. I never thought Taemin could be so cutting! It'll teach me to try to arrange things! 

Since my row with Taemin, I feel a little down... To top it all, I didn't see Jongin at all today. He has business trips schedule all week. I don't even know if I'll see him this weekend. Taemin tried to call me twice in the afternoon, but I didn't answer, because I was busy and because... I didn't want to talk to him. He managed to make me doubt about Jongin... I was so happy this morning! It's as if he burst my bubble! Someone knocks at my door. I put my kitchen glove down and I go to open. It's probably Hyuna! 
We've planning this evening for several days now and I must say that its exactly what I need tonight. 

"Heyyy!" 

"Hello!" I take her in my arms. 

"Well, to what do I owe the honour of your embrace?" 

"Nothing, I'm just glad you're here!"

Hyuna smiles at me tenderly. I invite her to make herself home, while I check how my smoked salmon are doing. "Was your pole dance class good?"

"Yeah... There's still that move in not getting the hang of!" 

"Uhm... What's it called again?"

"The shoulder mount." Hyuna always telling me about her moves, but it's no use their names never print in my head! I must say it's hard to follow! 

"With training, you'll eventually get it right. You're a warrior, aren't you?!"

"Yeah, for the moment I look more like a toad, but one day i'll be gracious..." We burst out laughing whilst I take my little wonders out of the oven. 

"Here, get a load of this!" Hyuna approaches and smells the sweet smell. 

"Mmm... You know I can't go without your cooking now...?"

I give her a little-satisfied smile and invite her to sit down, whilst I go fetch the food. 

"So, what's the new sweetie?" 

"Woaah! You sure you really want to watch an episode of The young and the restless now?"

"Oh, as bad as that?"

"Well... As it is, I don't know."

She taps on the sofa beside her with the flat of her hand. "Come on, tell Hyuna everything."

I let out a little mocking laugh and sit by her side. "You want the good or the bad news?" 

"Both..."

"The good news is that Jongin is... A God in bed. The bad news is that now that we've slept together I don't know what's gonna happen. Plus, his chauffeur is now giving me the cold shoulder, taking me for one of those fickle and easy chicks that his boss usually sleeps with."

"To hell with what his chauffeur thinks. He's probably just jealous or has a feeling on you."

"That's what I thought... Last time, I don't know.... I felt something. What I don't get is that Taemin's not the kind of person to about his boss..."

"Guys... If there's a chick at stake, they soon forget their principles!" 

"No, but seriously, now that he's had what he wanted, what's going to happen at the office?"

"First of all, maybe what he wants goes beyond just a few rolls in the hay, and secondly you can't predict what happens next. So enjoy!" 

"Myeahh..."

"Has his attitude changed since you ...."

"No, on the contrary, he's been very thoughtful and he seems to really care about me..."

"So, why do you want to analyse everything? You know what I always say, take things as they come."

"Last night, he took me to the restaurant of one of the famous chefs in the world, then we went back to his. And thanks to him, I'll surely get an interview for my blog!"

"Ouuu... Classy!"

"It was incredible...."

"What was? The restaurant or the evening that followed?" Hyuna gives me a triumphant smile. "You know that now you've said too much. You're gonna have to tell me all the detail."

"In that case, I hope you have all night..."

"Ah, but I have all my time, madam."

If there is something I never doubt about, its how lucky I was to meet Hyuna! With her, any bad feelings just vanish. 

**************************************************************