31. Chaos

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

When I arrive at the top of the building, a security guard as friendly as a prison door, asks me for my invitation card. I hand it to him without taking offence.

All day long i wondered whether i'd show up or not. After spending all morning lying in bed, i got a grip of myself and ended up getting ready in the late afternoon. No way i was going to let him see me dragging myself around, looking defeated. I put on some make up and slipped on a beautiful evening dress. I hope that when he sees me this evening he'll realise what he's lost. And that it hurts him as much as it hurts me. I go to the roof, after showing the inside of my purse to a security guard.

Actually, the security tonight is increases for a simple opening ceremony. But i guess in that, the hi-tech field one is used to being careful. There are quite a lot of people on the roof of the building. Several small groups of two to five people have already formed. Man with a bow tie hands me a flute of champagne. He smiles at me politely, before presenting his tray to another guest.

I'm looking for a familiar person... I stretch my neck out and scan the place in search of Chanyeol. I'm sure he's invited. The contrary would be surprising. Feeling a little alone, i decide to approach the edge and watch the city by night. From here, seeing it a imposing, lot building, it's even more impressive. It looks like the rumbling belly of an enormous monster. "Naeun! You look stunning tonight!" As i turn around, I'm happy to find Chanyeol. A big smile illuminates his face.

"Chanyeol! How are you?"

"Good and you?"

"I'm okay. I've been looking for you, but with this crowd... I'm glad you found me, i felt a bit lost!"

"It's normal. You'll soon get to know people. The business world can't all that big, you know!" He winks at me.

"On the contrary, i feel like a tiny ant in a very big ant hill."

"You just need to know the right people." We're interrupted by a lady who warmly greets Chanyeol. I glance around through the crowd and see Taemin standing by the entrance, his arms folded across his chest. I get a sharp jolt to the heart. As if i was zapped by electricity. If Taemin is here, his boss must be here too. The prospect of running into him makes me feverish. I move towards Taemin.

I see him glance at his watch several times and nervously look around. He's frowning, looking tense.

"Hi, Taemin." His worried eyes meet with mine, he relaxed almost immediately.

"Hi Naeun, you....er... You look beautiful."

"I've comeback from the dead!" He gives me a faint smile, then his eyes scrutinise the people around as if he were watching oil on fire.

"Is something wrong? You looks worried?" A big man, in a black suit approach him. He whispers something in his ears, then he leaves as discreetly as he came. Taemin type something on his phone before looking back at me.

"There's a lot of people here tonight and it worries me. I don't like it."

"You should relax a little, it's just an opening ceremony! What can go wrong?" He stay quiet. "Does it have anything to do with the car that was following us the other night?"

He glance again at his phone, arrange his earpiece and puts a hand on my shoulder. "I have to ensure security with the great of team, Naeun. The speech is any minute now, go have a drink." I pout as i watch him walk away.

Chanyeol is still in discussion with the lady. A man has joined them. I wonder a little about this security thing. What kind of business manager needs several security agents to ensure his protection.? It's a speech for a South Korea start-up, not political intervention in a trouble area.

I make my way through the crowd overhearing some conversations. People are talking about marketing performance, financial investment, merger and acquisitions or being successful innovation. They are certainly very component people in their field, but i find them so full, always talking figures! I have nothing in common with these people. I couldn't care less about any of their problematic's. I go and stands in a corner, folding my arms across my chest.

The evening air is refreshing, making me shudder slightly. Unless it's the expectation of seeing Jongin that's making me nervous. Suddenly someone taps on the microphone, a young man of about thirty speaks. He presents himself as the director of the start-up that is organising the evening. He has the looks of a dynamic young executive. A Hugo Boss suit, black-pointed waxed shoes, a perfect hairstyle and a newly shaven beard. I love that style, actually in general, i like men who take care of their appearance.

He already seems quite comfortable talking to a large audience. Looks as though he'll go far! No doubt that's why Jongin invested in him. Speaking of the devil... My heart immediately races as Jongin appears at the young man's side. The latter is now just a pale figure compares to the man who exudes such an incredible aura. Still as beautiful, Jongin immediately captures people's looks with his feline gait, his gaze and his irresistible smile.

I hate myself for being so weak after what he did! The other steps aside. I wonder how much Jongin invested in his startup, and a sour smile takes shape on my lips. Don't worry, sweetie, he's already played his cards right to devour you the day you'll be worth it! I learned that at my expense, he always gets what he wants! I watch him, everything seems so studied, nothing in him is left to chance. It's as if he was designed to seduce, to manipulate all the poor little out of this world. I hate him, i hate him, i hate him! I start prancing about, sighing. Quick! Let's this speech be over with so that i can move on to something else!

A man shoves into me trying to get closer! I almost drop my glass! "Hey, couldn't you be more careful!" He turns his head in my direction, drowning. His black eyes and the expression on his fave prevent me from insisting. I give him a dirty look back, but he is already in the midst of the spectators and i quickly lose sight of him.

I try not to listen to Jongin's voice... That voice that has so often gained me over. I'd like to forget it completely! I know I'll get there, one day or another. At least that's why i say to reassure myself... All of sudden, the sound of a gunshot resounds!

What??

People all around me start screaming!

What's going on?!!!

For a fraction of a second, I'm totally disoriented. I freeze, stunned! And then i understand. An ice cold chill runs down my spine! The crowd before me turns around and starts moving towards me like an immense tidal wave, threatening, inevitable. Quickly, everybody's in a panic! I'm jostled, my bag fly in the air, my glass crashes to the ground! People are running in all directions! I should run away too, but no, only one thing comes to my mind : Jongin!!!