5.Decision

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

                 I look desperately at Yixing. He just calm stands and invites me to do the same. 

"It's a great opprtunity naeun! We will miss you but you'll learn a lot." 

I don't know what to say, working with the very man who's been triggering such strong and contradictory emotions in me?
And still, question lingers in my mind ever since they told me : why me?

In the elevator, i feel like a bomb about to explode! It's crazy! There must be some sort of mistake! 
As the doors open to the Mr. Kim floor, i hurry up to the recepcion desk in order to sort this misunderstanding out.
The secretary isn't the same stuck-up Madam that i saw the other day, but she doesn't seem any nicer.

"Hello... excuse me.. i'd like to speak to Mr. Kim Jongin please..." 
she raises a dubious eyebrow and sigh.. exasperated and just continue typing..

Have the secretaries on this floor been instructed being unpleasant??

After a few seconds, the secretary deigns to acknowledge me. 
"and you are....?" She's wandering who i'am.

"Miss Son Naeun, i was asked to come up here, but...."

"Follow me.." she cuts before i finished my sentence, how annoying!

Without giving me the time to think, she stand from her desk as gracefully as prima ballerina and motions for me to follow.
Her suit is perfectly cut and her walk is confident which tends to annoy me as well as impress me. Her hair and make up are impeccable. She look like she's comes straight out from a magazine. 

How long does this chick take to get ready every morning?

Her voice snaps me out of my highly existential questioning as we stop before a little door.

"After you." she ushers me inside whilst keeping an eye on her little tablet.

i hold my breath. Psychologically preparing myself to face Mister intense look. 
I walk nervously into the room, but... nobody. Just a big desk placed next to a large bay window, on looking the city.
It's rather pleasant as an office, even if i would have expected something else for a boss, but...

"Mr. Kim shouldn't be long. Meanwhile you can settle into your office...coffee ?" i wonder if i heard correctly.

"Sorry???" 


she look at me almost pity in her eyes.

"Would you like a coffee ?" She repeated her offer.

"No, i mean.. to say MY office??" she look at me an instant in silence. Obviously wondering what planet i came from.

"I'll leave you now, Mr. Kim shouldn't be long." As she close the door, i stare at the office arround me.

Is this serious? I can't believe it! What on earth am i doing here??

I sigh before taking a look around. The room is pleasant, light,you can hear a distant sound of the waking city.
I slowly walk to the desk and touch the leather seat.
I let myself drop on it, resting my arms on its armrest.
I twist the chair around from right to left, my eyes fixed on the computer screen.

Suddenly the door open. I freeze as two brown eyes meet with mine.

I rise so quickly that i almost topple backward ! I grasp the edge of the desk as best as i can!

"Mr. Kim...." i said almost like a whisper

"Miss Son, i see you're settling in fine." He said.

My God! That voice is making me lose control again! I have to keep control!

"No... i...." i stuttering.

Mister Kim is looking straight into my eyes. Yet again, i feel as though all my confidence is deflating like baloons.
I mustn't let myself get pushed around. This guy perharps very attractive but he's also get a hell a nerves!

"Sir, what am i doing here?" 

He seems surprised by my question, is he doing it on purpose?!
Instead of answering, his eyes look into the distance, out onto the buildings opposite, as if nothing had happened.
I walk around the desk and stand directly in front of him. He'd be wrong if consider me as docile as little sheep!

"I never said i want to work for you!" 

He grab a little ornament from the shelf behind him. His eyes then fall back on me. His face gleaming with a hint of amusement.

"You already were."

His quick responses are intriguing... i like that kind of personality because i like it when people are good at repartee.
I feel stirred as he stares at me while fiddling with the ornament on his hand with surprising dexterity.
For a moment my mind drift to the thoughts of those agile fingers and what they could do...

Get a grip naeun, for a God's sake!!

"You know exactly what i mean! I'am talking about working WITH you!"

"The office isn't to your taste?" He said calmly.

"The office is fine, that's not the problem.."
He puts the object back to the shelf. I can smell the aroma of his perfume drifting in the air.

"I'am giving you the chance of having a place of honour in the firm,of contributing to change. You're talented, sensitive. The decision is yours. Either you stay up here and you start working,or you go back down to the 42nd floor, back to your usual life." 

I can't believe he talked to me like that!

"You can't just move me around from one departement to another whenever you feel like it!" I said angrily, a bit.

"If i can't, then who can?" He smirked.

Short of arguments, i let out little mocking laugh. What a nerve !

He continue, "Try it out for a day, i'll leave you till tonight to make your mind up."

I stare at him in instant. I'd like to look down on him but he must be at least a foot taller than me.

"Oke, just ONE day."

"Very well, i will send you your first instructions by email."

"Why not tell me now?" He looks at me, smirking slightly.

I know i should've leave, throw his trial day on his face! But i can't help it...
I love challanges, you just need to challange me for me to rise to it. Even if all indicators are flashing red!

"Call henry's office to set an appoinment on saturday. Send me the Amber's contract for proofreading and tell Joy from SM that i shall be absent on the Wednesday. Contact CBSN studious for my interviews on Friday. Oh... and don't forget to send me the models for Bakerfields Pipeline Project." He said without pause.

As a matter of principle and out of pride, i don't want to asked him to repeat. But i'am not sure i caught everything..

"Did you catch everything? For SM, do you know who to call?" 

It's a trick, i can see it in his eyes. But i'am not gonna lose countenance. "Yes, Joice." I said in confidence.

"It's Joy." Politely he wish me a good day before leaving the room.

As soon as he close the door,i rush over to my notebook to jot down what i can remember.
Henry's office... the Amber's contract... Joy from SM...
.
.
.
.
.
.
                 "How how how ???" Hyuna ask me as soon as she saw me.

"Well.. Mr. Kim wants me to be his new assistant." 

Hyuna is staring at me with dumbstruck eyes. "Really??"

"Really! honestly it's so unexpected that i don't know what to do. I have the time until tonight to decide." 

"Well.. well..." hyuna claps her hands while shake her head disbelieved. My announcement leave hyuna speechless. And that doesn't often happen! 

"I don't even know why me. Just because i advised him once on the choice of wine..? It doesn't make a sense!" 

"Naeun, you should really start trusting yourself and seeing yourself for what you worth. A guy like Kim Jongin knows what he's doing. He must seen a potential in you."

"I don't know, he did say i had a gift.., a certain sensitivity." I said

"Hang on a minute there, you do make the best strawberry cream cake in the world!" 
We both burst out laughing. 

"No kidding, Naeun. It's a golden opportunity!" 

"You think so?" I asked still don't know how to decide.

"It's professional opportunity that won't come twice!" 

"But.. Sehun...Yixing... i don't want to change floors.."

Hyuna looks at me kindly. "Don't worry, Sehun will still come and tell you his stupid jokes and you'll meet new people on your floors." 

"You're joking! The secretaries are real es! Nothing like you.."

She smiles "and you'll working for Kim Jongin... how classy!" 

"I don't know... he's really...very...attractive. And i find it difficult to concentrate when he's looking at me. Let alone when he's talking." 

Hyuna draws in toward me and fold her hand on the table. Her opalescent contrct and her cheecky smile streches across her lips. "You've got the hots!!"

"No! Absolutely not! It's just that...he's very a charismatic man."

"Charismatic...hmmm...is that how you put it?"

"Nonetheless, working for someone who troubles you isn't exactly the brightest idea."

"He's y, his voice is y, and he has a power. So, so what? There's nothing wrong with being troubled. You're perfectly capable of not overstepping your bounds. He's your boss. You can look but you don't touch!." 

I instantly remember that time in the elevator with that total stranger. I know in that occasion, things had gone too far...
But... it was...different....
.
.
.
.
.
.

                  Once back at the office, i can't get hyuna's words out of my head. I should weigh her words carefully. She's right, opportunities like this never comes twice in a lifetime...
In working with Kim Jongin, i'll come to meet fascinating people and handle interesting projects.

I quietly sigh and checking my email. 
Speak of the devil.... he sent me mail 20 minutes ago...
Does he never stop? Not even during lunch?
He wishes me to contact the boss of a firm in charge of installing a distribution main, bringing clean water to a village in Congo.
I have to call, and tha report back on the project's state of proggress.
I look for and quickly find the enterprises number.

"Hello.." someone from Sanitation Enterprise pick up my calls.

"Hello sir, i'am Mister Kim Jongin new assistant. He wish to know how the job is proggressing." 

"I've sent one of my engineers on site to make up for lost time. It's gonna take 3 months before the water main is operational. Thanks to Mr. Kim's remarkable support, it won't take any longer." The person on the other side answer enthusiastly.

"Remarkable support?" I asked.

"Yes, fortunately, he arrange for the missing material to be sent by plane last week. Our team were able to get on their work without further delay. So, several villages have already been supplied in drinking water, as he wanted." 

"Very well. I'll get back to you in a month to see if everything is continuing as planned."

Looks like i'am getting into it!

"Very well, Miss....?"

"Oh sorry...Miss Son."

"Very well. Speak to you soon Ms. Son."

As i hang up, i stare at the phone dubiously.
I must admit that this job is looking more interesting. 
Something still bugging me though, is he selflessly helping those people or is he merely investing in his image?
Maybe it's possible to be at the head of one of the most powerful firms in the world and still be a nice guy. 
.
.
.
.
.
.
The day has already drawn to an end. It went by in a flash! I work on several projects that Kim Jongin entrusted me with and already have several people to get back to...
I lean back in my chair and take a deep breath.
"Ok. You've won this round. I'll work for you Mr. Kim Jongin."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
To be continue....