32. Safe

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

​​​​​​Chapter 32 : Safe

 

I should run away too, but no, only one thing comes to my mind : Jongin!!! "Jongin!!"

I shout his name. Clenches fists and neck extended. But my voice is covered by the screams of terrified guests! I see nothing but a terrible chaos of disorder mouth and horrified looks! 

As everyone rushes towards the exit, i find the strength to scramble to the podium. I see security guards running! Others seem to try to contain the madness! I'm pushed and nudge and i nudge back. I almost fall several times, but nothing comes to stop my chase! 

"KIM JONGIN!!!!!" i scream almost to breaking point, panicked at the thought that something terrible might have happened to him! Is he injured? Did somebody shoot at him???! He's nowhere to be seen! I'm going to crazy! As i come level the podium, i look for him on all sides, but there's too much of a crowd! As i look around horrified, my eyes meet with the churl's who jostled me just a minute ago. What i read in his eyes makes my blood curl and i understood at once! My eyes drift to his left hand. He's carrying a gun!!

 "IT'S HIM!! STOP HIM!! HE HAS A GUN!!!" I gesture to the security agent whilst stepping back! A cruel smile stretches across his lips. And then he lifts his gun up at me. Time seems to stop. A strange impression envelops me. It's as if I'm living the last moments of my life... My breathing stops, the world seems to alter around me as if i was watching the scene in slow motion. 

All of sudden i feel large familiar hands wrap themselves around my arms as I'm propelled backwards. I hear a gun shot. My head spins. I feel disorientated. Did i get shot? I can't feel anything. It's as if my body was plunged into a cotton state, like in a trance. 

"Jongin..." I whisper this, distraught and trembling. Jongin is holding me firmly against him. I'm clinging to his shirt, my heart beating like mad. 

"Naeun!! You're crazy, don't stay here!" I examine him as if I were discovering him for the first time and my body relaxes. I see Taemin, he's swooped down on the creep. He's already disarming him! Other agents rush up to him. 

"My God, Taemin..." I worried about Taemin. I stagger, the emotion does down. I feel totally emptied of my energy. Jongin supporting me, scanning over my body, making sure I'm alright. 

"What got into you? He could have killed you!" In his eyes I see for the first time anxiety, but... There is something else. A spark, a particular emotion that you can only find in the eyes of someone for whom you're important. I realise how much I care about him in spite of everything! 

"My God Jongin... I thought that..." I don't finish my sentence and huddle up against him.

"When I saw you scream, alone, in front of that guy, I thought I was going to go crazy. Naeun, why did you do that?!" I look up at him, my eyes filled with tears. Does he really have to ask? Does he really have to make me admit it? Do I have to make a fool of myself?

"I... I don't know what got into me. I... I was afraid he'd hurt you." This time he holds me even more tightly against him. I close my eyes stifling a sob. He runs a hand through my hair and kisses the top of my head. I breathe in his smell and everything becomes calm again. I slowly come around. I open my eyes and I see Jongin glance over at his aggressor, now under control. Then he lifts my chin up, fixing gaze in mine. 

"I'm so sorry.... I never meant to hurt you... I... I don't deserve you." Is he really sincere? What I read in his eyes leaves me little doubt, but I'm so afraid of suffering again! We look lovingly at each other for several minutes, which seem to me to be an eternity. The agitation around us is still at its height. The aggressor is still here, close by, the security team are on the alert, but it all seems so secondary! We are both safe and sound, and that's all that counts. Quickly several security officers crowd around Jongin. Our little bubble bursts. I come back to reality, the noise of the city rumbling in the background, the dirty creep's grunts and the sound of Taemin giving order to the security team. Is he a chauffeur or a bodyguard? 

Jongin loosens his clasp slightly to talk to the agents. "Call the police and make sure that all the guest have left the building before they get here. Be careful not to let anyone in." "Very well, sir." I can't believe how calmly Jongin handling the situation. It's as if he was uses to managing security teams... Has he been in danger before? 

He puts his hands on my shoulders and leans his head over to look at me. "Could you stay here a minute?" I nod my head gently. He beckons to one of the agents and invites me to walk up to him. "She's with me, put her undercover." 

He asks me to step back and sit down. This is the first time something like this happens to me.! It's completely crazy! A little more of that and I think i'd think myself in the middle of an action movie! And it's even the first time I've seen a real gun. "Follow me, miss..." I hesitate to follow him because I don't want to get too far from Jongin, but I don't have enough strength to resist. "Are you hurt?" The security agent said to me. "No, everything is fine." "Wouldn't you prefer to go inside and warm yourself up?" "No, i'd rather stay here." I answer with my eyes fixed on Jongin. "Trevor, get me a blanket or something warm! This girl is frozen." Jongin said to one of the agent. I watch them busying themselves, silently. I don't feel the coldness on me, yet I have goose bumps. I see Jongin approaching Taemin who's firmly holding the assailant. The guy grumbles. He gives Jongin the death glare, obviously disappointed to have missed his target. But Jongin doesn't seem impressed and keeps his composure. From where i am I can't hear the conversation. I just see the guy struggling as Taemin dugs into his pockets and takes out a cellphone. He give it to one of the agents. It's undoubtedly and important exhibit in understanding what happened. But this time, it' certain someone seriously wants to hurt Jongin... A competitor? People who don't agree with his actions? Why now? Why this evening? This time, they weren't just threat! The director of the startup joins Jongin. He looks like a zombie. His suit is crumpled and his perfect hairstyle looks a hot mess. I see Jongin exchanging a few words with the young entrepreneur who seems to be disoriented, before returning to his aggresor. But the latter tries to spit in his face. Jongin just avoid it. Taemin hits the guy in the ribs. I sincerely hope that the police will get here soon. I'll feel much better once we've left this place...