24.

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

Night has fallen as we drive back into town. The atmosphere is strange. The interlude with Jongin felt so surreal... It's as if I was afraid of waking up and realising it had all just been a dream.

Jongin breaks the silence. "So... What are you going to say about me on your blog, this time?"

I glance at him. His lips stretch into a cheeky smile. "That I've found a new treat, but that this one, I'm keeping for myself!"

He burst out laughing and th deep vibrations fill the car. His laugh is catching and I laugh in turn. "I was thinking of something along the lines of: today I had an amazing time with my boss..." He continue laughing.

"Who made me rediscover the art of gastronomy with a very sophisticated ham and cheese sandwich..." I played along.

"That's a low blow." He grins.

"You asked for it."

He pulls out to the right, overtwking a pick-up truck that's struggling up the hill. He handles the gear stick with ease and his expression become more serious. "Have you ever looked into improving your retention?"

"My what?"

"The retention. On your blog." He glances at me inquisitively. I've heard about water retention, but I don't think he's about to advise me on wearing support stockings... "Retention is the fact that people come back to visit your site regularly." He explains this to me as cool as a cucumber whilst taking a fast, tight curve.

"Er... No, not really. I mean... I post my articles, I highlight my dishes with pretty photos. I...."

"Don't you have a Facebook page or Instagram to disseminate your articles?" He cuts me.

"No." This last statement seems upset him.

"You have to." He says this to me as if it were total carelessness not to have done it already.

I sweep a sideways glance at him, both amuses and touched. "The businessman is back!" I chuckle.

I see he's finding  hard not to smile. "He's never far away." He gives me a rather cute knowing look. "Seriously, you create a Facebook page from which you sense your community back towards your blog. People are easily on Facebook, so theyl'll see it more easily."

"I'll think about it. Thank you for your advice, but I do it mainly for the pleasure of sharing my recipes with other enthusiasts."

"You sound like Rose..." He murmurs this sighing. There's affection in his voice. Like every time he talks about his half sister. I let Jongin continue, like every time he confides something about his life. "She wants to open a restaurant but she doesn't want my advice. As if the simple fact of evoking solutions to improve her project was already too much."

"Maybe she wants to set up this project by herself?" I stare for a moment at Jongin's confident face. He's fixing his attention on the road. It can't be very easy for Rose to find her place when having such a brilliant man for a brother.

"I don't know... Sometimes I feel like her head's in the clouds. Her project is very interesting, but she doesn't give herself the means to making it happen." I would like to tell him that not everyone has his determination. That some people take more time setting things up.

"Leave her a little time to think her project over. She's still young and she doesn't have your experience."

"I was young and inexperienced when I started Kim Corporation."

"Yes, but you're from another planet!" It just slipped out of my mouth like that. I feel his gaze on me, while I twist my fingers, desperately trying to figure how to catch myself up. "What I mean is that you're a bad example..." Now he's staring at me. Good God Naeun! You're digging yourself a deeper hole! I put my hands out in front of me as if I were making a very serious demonstration. "You're not an ordinary person. You're an extraordinary man... You can't compare your career path to the others, I don't know many CEO like you, of your age." Not to mention outrageosly y.
"Besides, it must me a bit overwhelming for Rose." I risk a glance at him. His attention is on the road. He remains silent for a few seconds as if he were considering what I've just told him. I'm angry with myself for saying what I said. I can see that it makes him sad.

"I didn't think I weighed down on her... I'd never seen things like that."

"Maybe you're not doing it consciously. Your ability, the talent you have, can really give those who don't have the same sharp-mindedness a hard time... Maybe you just need to reassure her on her own qualities."

Suddenly he rest his hand on my thigh, I can tell the gesture is just tender. "You think I should let her talk to me about it in her own time?" Jongin asking me for advice on a personal matter... Here's something that makes this day even more wonderful.

"Yes... I think you should let her come and answer her questions without her getting the impression that you're taking the lead on her project. Then again... I don't know, I don't know Rose well and she didn't seems very keen on making me acquaintance the last time. She doesn't see a too kindly to us getting close."

Flashback

As I walking towards my office after lunch with Hyuna, I saw Rose walk out of my boss's office. I walked over to her and greeted her. "Hii rose, are you looking for your brother?"

"What do you think I'm here for?" She answered with a little rude while holding her cellphone.

"Your brother is having a meeting outside and will come back around 4pm. He won't be able to take his call while in a meeting."

"I don't need your explanation." And suddenly she approached me and said. "i'm used to girls like you getting close to the sister just to get close to the big brother."

"What do you mean, rose? I don't understand."

"Don't pretend to be stupid and innocent. I know women like you who approach my brother only want the money. I warn you, don't get your high hopes, that you can be close to my brother as long as I'm still here."

I was dumbstruck to hear that. I glanced at the secretary who witnessed a bit of our feud.

"Ummm, Rose. How about we continue this conversation in my room. I don't have an extra pop corn for now. And, I was being nice to you because you're my boss's sister. Don't misunderstood me, kid."

Rose snorted and nudged my shoulder deliberately as he left. Furiously.

End of flashback.

I refrain from saying that she clearly threatened me. I don't want to open Pandora's box.

Jongin let's out an affection laugh. "She's already caught on to everything, cheeky little thing."

Myeah... Her hurtful words come back to mind : "i'm used to girls like you getting close to the sister just to get close to the big brother."

"She misunderstood... I think she took me for one of those woman who are just after your money."

"You?" Obviously Rose analysis amuses him a lot. He shakes his head. His mouth distort with what looks like a disapproval. "She's always taken on the guardian role with me, I'm sorry..."

"Oh... I don't know if I can really blame her. At the same time, I would probably be suspicious too if I had a brother like you."

"Like me?" He leans his head down a little and looks up at me from lowered eyes. An innocent smile appears on the corner of his lips.

Yes you know, the beautiful kind, like a Greek God kind, intelligent, y, entering and rolling in it. "Don't insist, I'm not gonna give you another compliment."

He turns his gaze back towards the road, a mischievous expression filed yo his face. "Are you free tomorrow night?"

I have nothing planned but I don't want him to get the impression that I'm at his disposal. I toll my eyes pretending to think about it. "Mmhh...yes, I believe so, why?"

"Come and eat at my place. I'll invite Rose too, it'll be a good way of soothing the tension between her and you."

I nod reluctantly. Something tells me that the evening is likely to end up badly. But, inside, my little heart wraps itself in sweetness. It's difficult to say to myself now that he's not interested in me.

**************************************************************