44.

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

Chapter 44.

 

         I make my way towards the suitcase, while I hear Jongin busying himself. I reflect on how to dress for this day which promises to be full of surprises. I choose a little flowery dress. In front of the mirror, I do my hair in a fishtail braid. I'm not wearing makeup but I have a radiant complexion. No doubt, the being with Jongin effect. I stand in front of myself for a moment, I haven't felt so good in a long time.

        When I arrive on the terrace, a generous breakfast is already served on the table. Jongin comes out, a cup of coffee in his hand. He kisses me on the cheek. "Take a seat, sweetheart."
I sit down on the sofa before the feast. The croissants smell wonderfully good and the fresh fruit, slices, and displayed in a small silver tray in the center of the table make my mouth water.

"When did you prepare all this?" I asked over my curiosity. 

A smile floats on his lips. "I've been up for several hours, remember I'm A night bird."

"Yes, that's right, I do forget about that." i chuckled.

"Would you like an egg?" He offers me.

"Oh yeah please." I do really love having an egg as a breakfast.

"I'll fix you some up, it won't be too much with what I've planned for you." He gives me a grin before walking away towards the kitchen. I chuckle then I take a deep breath, enjoying the gentle sea breeze.

A few minutes later he's back carrying two plates, fried eggs on two slices of roasted bacon. He sits down next to me and leans back against the sofa. He naturally puts an arm around my shoulders. As he gazes towards the horizon, his lips stretch into a mischievous smile. "The sea is calm today, it's perfect."

"Are we going to go diving?"

"Mmh. It's an idea, but. No."

I chuckle before biting into a slice of egg. Suddenly our little game is interrupted by the ringing of his phone. A fix from distorts his beautiful face and he frowns as he looks at his phone.

"Excuse me." He gets up and puts the phone to his ear. He slips a hand into his teaser pocket as he walks away. Because of the noise of the waves, I can't catch what his conversation is about, i just watch as he walks back and forth along the wooden pontoon.

Is it related to last night? I find his expression a little too worried for just a routine call from work. One thing has been nagging at me ever since we left. I wonder why he didn't want to tell Taemin, the one man in whom he puts his trust.  Sometimes I find myself thinking that he suspects him of something. The thought is unpleasant, but... Why all the mystery otherwise? Even if Taemin has exceeded his role as a bodyguard with me, I can't see him watching us despite the express demand of his boss. I sigh, I'm gonna have to clarify things. Even if Jongin doesn't want to tell me more, he can't evade the subject forever.

This is just isn't the right time for me to conduct my little investigation. Selfishly, I want to make the most of our little bubble of intimacy. When my handsome CEO finally joins me, his expression is equitable. I'm now aware of his ability to hide his emotions and I'm not fooled.  It is so hard to read that I'm never sure of anything. It's what makes his charm, but it's also what almost put an end to our story.

"Sorry, work."

Lied. I just stare at my plate when he continues. "Oh, operating a jet ski takes more energy than you could imagine."

"Jetski? Are we going to jet ski?"

He gives me a triumphant smile. "It appears so, yes."

"It's great I love the idea!"

"Really?"

"Absoinglutely."

"It doesn't surprise me. You've already driven a far more impetuous beast." He leans his head slightly looking at me triumphantly and raises an eyebrow. I let out a mocking laugh.

"I think you're very cute in that outfit, but you're gonna have to wear a wetsuit. You should put on a swimsuit."

"Very well, I'll put on whatever you wish." I give him a wink.

"Don't propose such things. It'll give me ideas."
His comeback makes me laugh nervously but his remark makes me go bright pink in the cheek.

"Tsss, don't show off like that, I could beat you. Will your ego stand it?"

"If you beat me jet skiing, I think my ego will lose all dignity forever, honey, nobody beats me." He tells me this with his superior chauvinist air, innocently taking a sip of orange juice. His playful irises are staring at me through the glass.

I nudge him almost knocking his glass of orange juice out of his hand, we both burst out laughing .

 

***

 

As we get back from jet skiing i feel exhausted! i drag my feet on the sand and i manage with difficulty to lift myself up to the terrace. I collapse into the nearest deck chair and i close my eyes with a sigh..

Jongin is putting the jets in the garage. Tanning under the sun  sounds absolutely perfect since my skin way too pale as they said.  I somehow manage to take the wetsuit off that's sticking to my skin like a glue.  Then, at last free of my wetsuit, i grab my phone and i look at my messages. My heart jump! i got a message from Taemin, "Hi, are you with Jongin?" 

he must be worried!

Im caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.. should i answer him? If Jongin hears that i talked to taemin about our secret hideaway, he will surely be angry. And if he didn't want to tell taemin, he probably has his reasons.. I sigh, i still have to answer him even if i don't tell him everything. "Yes, im with Jongin. Everything 's all right, we're at the beach."

 I jump as Jongin voice surprises me from behind.  "I have to make a few phone calls to make for work." he said as he lays a light kiss on the top of my forehead. "okay, i'll rest for a little." He disappears inside. I stare at the sea. The wind has risen little, i have a bad feeling..

Gradually fatigue get the better of me and i find it harder and harder to keep my eyes open. My heart is beating more heavily, more slowly.... The sound of the waves is growing increasingly distant..

All of sudden i wake with a start! i'm soaked in sweat and my throat is dry. i get up to get a glass of water, my head is almost dizzy. As i settle back down, Jongin rushes onto the terrace. "Naeun, we have to go! straight away!"

"What?? but why?!!?"

"I don't have time to explain!! Just take your things!"

face with Jongin's authority and determination, i comply without asking question!

 

author note :

cliff hanger? i know.. i have my purposes...