26. Betrayal

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

We pursue the dinner with appetizers, each more succulent than the last. "I absolutely have to write article about them, on my blog!"

"Oh yes, you must, I really like what you do, for that matter." Rose said cherfully.

"Oh, thank you." She knows about my blog?

The more the evening goes, the more I think that she's in fact, a great girl and that we just got started on the wrong foot. I know a person who must be finding this very funny, after what I told him in the car the other day. But Jongin doesn't seem to be paying much attention, busy typing a message on his phone. "Jongin told me about your restaurant project, it's a great!"

"Yes... It's just a project for now.." Jongin slips his phone into his pocket and looks at his sister with a tinge of weariness.

"A project you've been thinking over for two years now..." She glares at him. He's really going about it the wrong way.

"Do you know what type of restaurant you want to open?" I try to erase the tension between them two.

"I have a hard time deciding. Actually, I want setting stylish, but accesibble to young South Koreans - a trendy place where you're sure to have a good time."

"They're plenty of places like that already, Rose... Your missing something for your restaurant to make a difference." Another scowl from her brother.

"How about you? What are you looking for in Seoul? I heard you're from Busan." Rose turns to me, annoyed by her brother. It sounds like a trick question. But Rose's eyes seem devoid of vice.

"Well... Seoul has always been a dream. I wanted to change my life, and find something exciting!" I let a look linger a while on Jongin, blushing a Little.

"Oh...things that needed to be left behind?"

My heart tightens. Is she knew?!
As if Jongin felt my distress, he interrupts his sister. "Roseanne, you're being very curious! What about serving a Little more wine, instead of bombarding Naeun with questions?" She grumbles a little but apologises. I thank him silently. If there's anything I have, it's talking about my past.

"This wine is delicious, another Petrus?" Jongin smile at me. He knows I'm teasing him.

"No, just a good wine I got in California."

Whether it's the wine or the simple fact that Rose's not the one I thought, I don't know. But I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable. "In any case, I'm still as captivated by this apartment and the magnificent view it has on Seoul." I have only a strange silence as a reply. Rose doesn't seem enthralled. Jongin takes another sip as if he were somewhere else. I forgot that we don't belong to the same world. I imagine the faces my friends would make if they found themselves in this kind of place, eating petits fours! Sehun would already be guffawing, putting on his falsely haughty look, and Hyuna would no doubt be looking around, amazed. I meantime, this evening had at least one surprise in store for me. That of seeing in Rose something other than an enemy. So, how come she was so aggressive at the office that time?

When Jongin sees his sister out, I start clearing the glasses. I had a great evening and I'm really relieved that we were able to talk with Rose. To be honest, I was very apprehensive! In picking the tray up, I notice that she's forgotten her phone. ! I hope she hasn't taken the elevator yet. I pick the very girly phone up, smiling and I put the rest down. I hurry to the exit, hoping that she still be there. I slow down when I hear them speaking in a low voice. An alarm triggers in my brain all the warning signals are blinking red, something's wrong!

"If you really care about this girl..." Rose faint voice could be heard from where i was stand. They're talking about me? I step to the side, keeping a low profile, to follow their conversation. Rose is already in the elevator and her brother is standing in front of her, blocking the doors with his hand, looking down. I can't see his face. I can barely make out his sister's features, half hidden by Jongin's posture.
"You could have take her elsewhere than to your bachelor pad..."

What?

"Roseanne..." I see Jongin's broad chest expand as if he was taking a deep breath.

"Does she know, that this is where you bring them all???"

That he bring them all?? All his conquests???

For a moment I hear only the beating of my heart, hammering heavily againsty temples. I press my hand againsty chest trying to calm the sharp pain that's oppressing me. I don't understand...

"I've never approved of this... This place that you reserve for your one night stands! There's no soul here, Oppa.."

My heartbeat is accelerating dangerously. So what am I? A one night stand?

"Making me come, here, for a meal! Don't you dare do it again, it was mockery!"
Jongin let's his hand slip down taking step back. He then runs a hand through his hair, visibly exasperated. "It's nasty oppa, it's gonna explode in your face..."

Right now, it's my heart and self-esteem that's come crashing down mathematically to the ground! I feel pathetic! All this time... I've been nothing more than his latest conquest?! nothing more than the girl he's sleeping with? In his office, in his bachelor pad! That's what I am? Taemin's words come back to me like a smack in the face :"He should never have taken you there, you're better than that."...
To think that I didn't want to hear about it! What a ing idiot! Taemin was just trying  to open my eyes, and I brushed him off! I'm not any better than all those little tarts!

All of sudden, Rose's eyes freeze in my direction. Jongin turns his head towards me and what I read in his eyes tears my heart out. His expression is that of guilt. The look of someone caught red handed, with nothing to say in his defence. I walk towards them like a zombie. I don't really know if I want to cry, to scream, to laugh at my stupidity or just kick the out of them both. I hand her phone, speaking in a timeless voice. "You forgot this."  She just take it, without word.

I feel Jongin's eyes fall on me as the doors close on Rose. "Naeun...."

"I'll... I'll get my things." I don't wait for his explanations. I turn around to walk away, to go fetch my bag from the living room.

"Wait... Let me explain..." He looks at me, and i feel that all the neurons in his brain are working on how to get him out of this embarrassing situation. I don't want to listen to him. It's too painful. I'm not sure I can hold the shock for much longer. "Naeun, please..." I look up at him. I feel betrayed, destroyed, my dreams shattered. He stares at me, clenching his jaw. "It's... It's complicated..."

I let out a sneering laugh, before swinging my hands over my head. "Oh no! On the contrary, I think it's quite simple!" He rubs his chin and sighs. "For the beginning, I should have faced up to it. I'm just the assistant you're sleeping with for entertainment! First in your office, then here, in your....bachelor pad..." This last word forces a grin of disgust out of me. Just as i was about to walk away, I freeze on the spot and lift my head up at him, fixing his gaze with incandescent eyes.

"It's not my bachelor pad, it's just a place where.... I don't often come." I take the information head-on. I am however, strangely calm. Like a cold anger. Perhaps, somewhere deep inside I know all along that everything was too good to be true?

"It must have been disappointing not screwing me in your jet or in the elevator, right? My poor darling... They don't often refuse you, do they?"

"Naeun... Stop, it's not like you." Pleads Jongin.

"What doesn't resemble me is to be with a multi-billionaire who treats women like a merchandise!"

"Naeun. Could you just let me speak for one second?" Jongin's voice sounds near frustated.

"Mmh... Let me think... No!" I Rush in to the living room and practically snatch my bag from the chair where i'd put it. My eyes are filled with tears but I won't give him the satisfaction! I wipe them clear with the back of my head.

He follows suit as of he thought he could still hold me back. But, in my mind, I'm already far, far away. "Naeun! Hey!" He grabs my arm stopping me in my stride and make me look at him.

"Let go of me!" I'm practically screaming. He let go, staring at me through ice cold eyes as if he had before him a mad woman freshly out of the asylum.

"All this is... I should never have brought you here, you're not like the others..."

"Oh, really?" I stare at him, a wicked smile in my lips, really? I think my sweet dream of being special toh him has just smashed into a smithereens!

"Yes, rose said the truth. I can't afford to....."

"To what? To have a woman in your life? I would have liked you to play fair from the start, but I guess you don't know how to!"

"Love and romance... With the life I lead, aren't possible. I should never have brought you here..." He whisper these words, shaking his head, looking down with lowered shoulders.

"For sure. But you did. You should have thought about it before. Wasn't it part of your little sadistic game?"

"God, stop that will you!!! I'm not playing with you, dammit!!!" He yelled at me, feels impatient.

"If you think that by yelling at me, you're going to fix things, save it for the employees you like to torment. Sorry for telling it all to your face. I know you're not used to it!" I'm letting it all out! All my rage is pouring out in a whirlwind of destruction. "I thought you were different, that you were a good man, what a fool i've been! In truth, you're just a....a pathetic cliché!! Stay in your palace, counting your pennies, collecting your overpriced ties, some women out there like it or get paid for it. But not me!"

I look at him for a moment, as if I were hoping he'd say something that would change everything, that would get us out of this nightmare. But no... Nothing comes out of his mouth. There's just his puppy dog eyes and a oppressive, heavy, unbearable silence.  A tear finally pearls down my cheek. He tries to approach his hand to wipe it but I back away. I sigh, stepping away from him and turn to run to the elevator. This time he doesn't try to stop me.

**************************************************************

 

Author's note :
Actually, I want to make Jennie as Jongin's sister because I thought her character suit the sister of Jongin well. But because they're a step-sibling, they had to have a different last name. So.. Yeah.. I change it into rose...