37. unsafe

Is it love? (Kaieun version)

 

Chapter 37 : unsafe

 

I never thought the conversation with Rose would turn to that! Thought she was going to feel bad and apologise. I can be so naive sometimes. Things are a right mess, now. I'm sure this story will come up at the wrong time and in the wrong way.

Rose's words were harsh, and you can say that she really tried to make me doubt Jongin. Yet I don't believe her and I trust Jongin. I know that our story is going to be complicated... But I can't bring myself to give up.

I feel something deep inside my guts. The intuition that I'm right in giving him a second chance. With my head in the clouds, I get to the Kim Corporation.

As I reach the front entrance, I notice Jongin's limousine parked on the side. I slow down hoping to see Jongin, but there's nobody. I walk across the entrance hall and spot Taemin taking a coffee, looking preoccupied.

"Hi, Taemin."

"Hi, Naeun."

"Granting yourself an early coffee break? No cigarette this morning?" I glance at his cup. He seems elsewhere, staring into the dark liquid. "What's wrong, Taemin?"

"I'm worried." My blood curdles at once. Taemin saying he's worried, doesn't sounds good.

"What's going on?" I feel that he's hesitating to tell me. Like always, him and his professionalism. I gently take hold his forearm and drag him to the side. I lean towards him and whisper. "I know about the threat letters, and about the company who's trying to get at Jongin. He told me everything."

He stares at me for a moment. "So you also know we can't prove anything yet..."

"Yes... And I'm really worried! But Jongin doesn't want to know anything..."

"The police called me this morning, apparently the case is too complicated, they don't have enough elements, they prefer to put the investigation on stand by."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah... And I don't like it." I can't believe it! How can they give up so quickly?!

"And the guy who shot Jongin? He's gonna get away with it?"

"No, he was taken to prison, whilst waiting for his trial. He'll surely end up behind bars, but the case will stop there." I'm furious! What a ty world! The real scoundrels always get away!

"But what worries me the most, for now, is that Jongin isn't safe. And..." He pauses middle sentence.

"And what??" He makes me impatient.

"And you neither."

"Me? Be serious! To most people, I'm only his assistant!"

"No, it's not that simple... Have you forgotten that a picture of you in Jongin's arms was on the front page of nearly all the city's newspapers? For some people, you can be a way of putting pressure on Jongin.."

An icy chill creeps down my spine making me shiver. Taemin sees this and immediately changes tune. "But don't worry, I'm here to watch over you."

We remain silent, measuring the gravity of the situation... This story is taking huge proportions. My row with Rose now seems quite insignificant.

***

After my discussion with Taemin, I spent my afternoon in total paranoia. Especially since I didn't hear from Jongin once that I just realised, he dien't contacted me since last night. I have to see him and reason with him! He can't go on ignoring the fact that he's in real danger!

These guys mean business!

As I look out the City skyscrapers through my window, hoping that the answer's written on them, my cellphone rings. It's Jongin!

I quickly grab my phone and answer. "Jongin!!"

"Naeun, are you alone?" He sounds serious.

"Yes."

"Okay, now listen to me." My heart thumps in my chest what's going on now?! "Meet me in the basement of the building at 7pm sharp."

"Jongin, what's going on?"

"Just do what i tell you!" He sounds frustated, i feel scary and worried.

"You are scaring me! Don't yell at me!"

"There's nothing to be afraid of." His voice seem tone down, i can see he's feeling guilty by yelling at me.

I remain silent.

I heard he sigh. "Do you trust me?"

Without hesitant, "Yes."

"Don't tell anyone about our meeting." Why?

What about taemin? "Of course.. But..."

"Not even taemin." He seems can read my mind. All of sudden i hear voices behind him. He must be at one of his meetings.
"I have to hang up. Don't forget, 7 pm in the basement."

Jongin hangs up before i can say and asking anything else. I gape at my phone, speechless. Why all the mystery? What is he up to??
But, I'll do as I'm told. I already decided that i trusted him.