A Very Unwanted Engagement

I Am My Sister's Memory

"Mi Hyun, wake up. We're going out today."

 

Mi Hyun grumbled, turning away from the voice. She tried to go back to sleep, until she felt her blanket being ripped away from her, and a very cold breeze brush against her legs. She jumped, "I'm up!" she exclaimed, sitting up. She rubbed her eye's, trying to get the sleep out of them, before her eye's rested on her, very, impatient mother at the foot of the bed, and one of the hired maids at the side folding the blanket.

 

She groaned, "Umma? What's going on?" she asked, turning to sit at the edge of the bed.

 

"Don't groan, it's very unladylike," Mrs. Kim only answered, turning to a set of clothes set out on Mi Hyun's desk chair, "Get dressed. We're going to go meet Mrs. Dong very soon."

 

Mi Hyun only nodded, getting up and grabbing the clothes, waiting before the maid and her mother left to sigh, sitting down on her chair and looking at her desk, looking at the pictures set out, settling on one of her and Mae Hyun shortly before she had died.

 

I wish you were, Unnie.

 

----****-----

"Mi Hyun, look at this dress, I think it would stunning on you!" Mrs. Dong gushed, handing Mi Hyun another dress, adding on to the pile of clothing she and Mrs. Kim had been choosing for the young woman for over the past hour and a half.

 

Mi Hyun politely smiled, taking it, but turned to her mother, "So... What's the special occassion?"

 

The two old woman looked startled at her, turning to each other, appearing to have a silent conversation before Mrs. Dong finally sighed and turned to Mi Hyun, "Sweetie... How do you feel about my son?"

 

"Hyun Bae or Young Bae?"

 

"Young Bae."

 

Mi Hyun shrugged, "He's a good person. Easy to work with. Nice, easy to get along with, a little on th-"

 

"Thats not what I mean, dear," Mrs. Dong cut in, smiling at the young woman, "I mean... How do you feel about marrying him?"

 

Mi Hyun looked down, shrugging, before looking back up at her, "Well... Uhm... Okay I guess. Why?"

 

Mrs. Kim sighed, stepping forward, "Mi Hyun, our families have arranged for you and Young Bae to get married."

 

Mi Hyun stayed silent for several moments, responding, "Y-you're serious?" she asked, trying to act surprised.

 

___***___

 

Mi Hyun stormed into the house after her and her mother's shopping trip, their chauffeur having dropped off Mrs. Dong quickly. She rounded on her mother once she slid her slippers on, "Why am I marrying him? He's my dead sister's fiancé and I work with him!!" she exclaimed, finally able to throw a fit.

 

"Mi Hyun, since Mae Hyun died, you're the only person who can marry him," her second older sister, Jung Hyun, said.

 

Mi Hyun rounded on her parent's, "It's been five years and you're just now making this decision? Why are you doing this?"

 

Her father sighed, "Because, our families promised one another that one of our daughters would marry one of their son's. And since Hyun Bae is already married to someone else, it's only understandable for you to fill in Mae Hyun's place."

 

Mi Hyun didn't say anything, preferring to look away and at the walls.

 

Her mother sighed, angrily, "You weren't acting like this earlier when his mother and I broke the news to you.. Besides, you'll learn to love him. You already work together."

 

Mi Hyun glared at her, "I work with him, but that does not, under any circumstances, make us friends. Acquiantances, yes, but otherwise, we rarely get to see each other aside from when we colloborate."

 

Her father sighed, shaking his head angrily, "It's already planned. His parent's have agreed to it, and we've agreed to it. You two will learn in time to get along, Mi Hyun. Or live to put your differences aside."

 

She sighed, looking away, willing the tears away. Mae, I need you here, Unnie.

 

She looked up at her father, "Yes, Appa... I understand..."