I Promise I'll...

I Am My Sister's Memory

Mi Hyun sighed as she glanced down at her outfit. It was the day that everyone in the Eastern Hemisphere, would find out about her engagement.

She would of felt awkward marrying her co-worker, but it didn't feel so bad. She'd known him since she was a child, constantly seeing him, as well as about everyone else she knew, fawning over her sister, so it shouldn't of felt so bad, right? Mi Hyun stared up into her mirror, noticing the weariness she had acquired over the days following her engagement,  following her and Young Bae's private conversation with YG Father about making the announcement public.

She looked over into her closet, grimacing as she saw the huge garmet bag that, in a few weeks time, would mark her as a wife. A wife who wasn't ready to take on filling in the shoes of her dead sister, the woman who should of been filling in this role, not Mi Hyun. She wasn't anything beyong a place filler, living out a life that made everyone else around her happy, but leaving her feeling recycled.

Don't think like that, Mae Hyun would of beaten you up for that, she chastised herself.

Had she been given more time to dwell on her inner demons, she would of, but the sudden knocking at the door, interrupted her, alerting her of what, or, more precisely, who, was on the other side of that door.

"I'm coming!" she called out, quickling sliding on her shoes, grabbing her bag and heading out. She gave her apartment a once over, dodging the coffee table when she almost came in contact with. If there was one thing she was happy about in her soon-to-be marriage, was that she and Young Bae would be moving into a new condo soon after they arrived back from their honeymoon.

At least I get more space for all my junk, she thought ruefully.

Opening the door confirmed her suspicions, smiling faintly when she saw that it was Young Bae dressed in a simple tuxedo, smiling back at her.

"Hi, Mi Hyun-ah," he cleared his throat, "Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let me just shut off the lights. Come in," she said, quickly slipping back into her apartment to shut off a couple of lights. When she turned back around, she was surprised to see Young Bae looking at some photographs on the table leading into her apartment.

She silently walked up to him, standing next to him as he examined one of her and her two sister's at the hospital. After losing her beautiful hair to chemotherapy, Mae Hyun had been distraught for a long time, having tried to hold onto her hair as much as possible. In a clumsy, whole-hearted effort to comfort her, Mi Hyun had shaved off her whole hair, going many months with a soft fuzz of hair on the top of hair. But it was evident in the photograph that Mae Hyun was happy in the picture, hugging Mi Hyun as she saw her sister's almost completely bald head.

"I remember this," Young Bae whispered, breaking the silence.

Mi Hyun turned to him, looking at him in the eye, "Yeah..." she nodded, "Mae-Unnie laughed about it for days."

"She really loved you, you know. When you turned up with an almost bald head, she was happy, but she cried about it later. She loved your hair," he said, looking up at her.

Mi Hyun shrugged, "Hair is hair. I wanted to comfort my sister, and I wanted to let her know that she still fit in. I could care less about it."

He simply nodded, before glancing back at it, and then back at her, taking her hand, "Mi Hyun, for all it's worth, I know this might not be what you want, but I promise I'll try to make you happy."

"Try? I'm kind of surprised you're saying that," she whispered.

He shrugged, "I'm not perfect... But... Just give us a shot?"

She nodded, looking at the picture of Mae, before looking back up at him, "For what it's worth, I know I'm not happy about this right now... But I promise I'll try and make you happy too. Can't have you doing all the work, right?"

He smiled, chuckling a little at her comment, before tugging her gently out the door, "Yeah, now come on. We have a party to attend to."

She smiled, a giggle slipping past her lip's as she followed him out the door.