Word Vomit

I Am My Sister's Memory

"Ugh! Stupid hanbok!" Mi Hyun grumbled as she wrestled on her new hanbok in her bedroom. Young Bae poked his head inside, watching her struggling to put it on.

 

"Need some help?"

 

She shook her head, tying and folding, "No. I just wish I could wear something else. But," she breathed out a fustrated sigh, "My mother did buy this for specifically today. Might as well wear it," she sighed again, undoing the ties and folds as she tried to remember how to fold and tie everything.

 

Young Bae shook his head, smiling softly as he approached her, reaching out and quickly folding it and tying it. Pulling back, he fixed a little small details, before dropping his hands, "There you go!"

 

Mi Hyun looked at him stunned, looking at her hanbok, now perfectly resting on her body, in the mirror, "How do you know how to put on a woman's hanbok?"

 

He shrugged, "My girl cousins taught me when I lived with them for a while. It comes in handy now, especially when Dara-noona and the others used to wear them and didn't know how to put them on."

 

She nodded, smiling to him, "Thank you, Young Bae-ah," she leaned over and and chastely gave him a kiss on the cheek, surprising herself and him by her actions. Pulling back, she grabbed her phone and stared down at it, her eye's widening, "Crap! We're going to be late if we don't leave now!" she grabbed her bag, throwing her phone inside, grabbed his hand and dragged him out, "Come on, come on!"

 

He laughed, "Mimi-ah, hold on! We need to put on our shoes!" he stopped, gently grabbing her wrist and stopping her. He turned and rushed back into their rooms, grabbing their shoes and running back out, dropping them onto the floor.

 

She quickly slid on the shoes, grimacing at the pinching of the new shoes, before they hurried out of the apartment.

 

___******____

 

Mi Hyun and Young Bae entered the reception area of the party hosted for them, hand in hand as they smiled and greeted their guests.

 

Mrs. Kim looked over from her spot with her husband and a few acquintances, rushing over to the couple, "Mi Hyun-ah, Young Bae-ah! We weren't expecting you two."

 

"You did ask for us to come here, Umma," Mi Hyun stated, sighing lightly.

 

Her mother simply nodded, pulling her daughter and husband with her towards her previous conversation, "How have you two been? Healthy I hope?"

 

Young Bae nodded, smiling at his mother-in-law, "Of course, Umma."

 

She smiled at him, "I'm glad. I'm sure you're parents are around here somewhere, dear. Why don't you go look for them, and leave Mi Hyun with me. It's been so long since I've talked to my daughter," she said, tightening her grip on Mi Hyun's upper arm.

 

Mi Hyun frowned, before collecting herself, smiling to Young Bae, putting on a facade as she spoke, "Yeah, babe. You should go find them so we can get ready to eat. I'm guessing it's time to eat?" she said, more as a question before her mother nodded her head firmly.

 

"Alright," he leaned over, kissing her quickly before he turned and walked off, "I'll be back."

 

Mi Hyun stared after him, smiling to herself from the kiss.

 

"Have you consumated the marriage? Please tell me you're with child."

 

"No mother... We haven't," Mi Hyun sighed, turning to her.

 

Her mother only gave her a fustrated look, "Mi Hyun, I don't think I have to remind you that if you don't get pregnant soon, this is going to look bad for everyone."

 

"Like I care! Umma, come on. We're both too busy to even see each other half the time," Mi Hyun protested.

 

"Don't be difficult and do your duties to this family and to him."

 

"I didn't even want to be married to him in the first place, Umma!" Mi Hyun yelled at her mother, glad that she wasn't over heard from the loud conversations going on.

 

"You didn't...? A voice asked behind her.

 

Mi Hynu froze in her spot, looking over her spot, "Young Bae-ah..."

 

He looked at her, "Mi Hyun... You didn't want to be married to me? But I thought you wanted this marriage?"

 

"I....I... I thought you knew that I wasn't going into this willingly," she whispered, stepping closer to him. He backed away from her, careful not to bump into his mother who stood to the side, looking on sadly, shaking her head.

 

He looked at her silently, before he turned away and walked off, not needing any more of an explanation.

 

Mi Hyun stared after him, shaking her head, and walking after him.

 

"Young Bae... Wait..."