If I Could I Would

I Am My Sister's Memory
Mi Hyun sighed as she stepped out of the car. She and Young Bae had just arrived in Gwangju, and were parked directly in front of her home. After their morning 'workout' as her husband jokingly put it, they had quickly showered and left, both acting light and airy and like most newlyweds, in love. Young Bae's was natural, but while Mi Hyun shared the same feelings, her earlier feelings of betrayel and guilt made them much more forced.

And driving up to Gwangju to eat breakfast with her stuffy family and her family oriented in-laws didn't help much.

She shook her thoughts away, smiling as Young Bae gently grabbed her hand, leading her the steps of her embarressingly large home.

Funny, she thought casually, I never noticed how much mother loves to show off our wealth.

In truth she never had. She had never taken the time to fully notice how wealthy her family truly was. Nevermind that they weren't half as wealthy as her husband's family was, the fact remained that her family had always flaunted their money. In all her life it had never struck her as odd, being that she was more concerned with her career and Mae Hyun's life (when she was still living) to fully notice. But for all the things her family was, poor was never one of them. Something Mi Hyun understood on a basic level, being that the hired help and the expensive, brand clothes, or brand items furnishing their homes had never stuck to her.

She smiled ruefully, shaking her head. Love must do this to you, she though. Love?! Wait a minute!

She stole a glance to Young Bae as he rung the doorbell. What was wrong with her? Here she was, feeling like a cheat, and yet still falling in love with him.

"Mi Hyun! Young Bae-ah! It's been far too long!" her mother exclaimed throwing the door wide open. Mrs. Kim pulled her daughter and Young Bae in, fussing over them happily, while casting a glance in Mi Hyun's general direction, mostly towards her stomach.

Upon noticing this, Young Bae manuevered gently in front of Mi Hyun, one hand on the small of her back as they walked into the large dining room.

But upon entering, Mi Hyun stopped in her tracks upon seeing the small altar they kept of Mae Hyun, sitting in a corner of the room.

"I'm sure you didn't forget what today is, right?" her Jung Hyun voiced, upon seeing her sister and brother-in-law enter the room, their mother close behind.

Mi Hyun faintly nodded, glancing over to Young Bae whose face was blank.

Her mother tittered, "I didn't call them here for just breakfast, Jung Hyun," she motioned for the two to sit as she went to the kitchen, everyone settling into an awkward silence.

Jung Hyun nodded, walking over, seeing as the dining table wasn't in the room and sat next to her sister, leaning in and whispering quietly, I would of called you to warn you but I didn't have time. If I could I would of."

Mi Hyun nodded dumbly, her eye's glued to the small altar set up. She tore her eye's away to look at Young Bae, fearing the worst, but hoping for it not to happen.

Her eye's began to water as she noticed the all too familiar look in her husband's eye's as the one he'd worn in the early days of her sister's death. One of lost love, hurt, hidden feelings, and unknown emotions she couldn't decipher. She reached a trembling hand to rest on his thigh, hoping that, if she broke his gaze, he'd see her again. Now, all she wanted was to help him forget her dead sister, so she could forget her hurting heart.

Instead, all he did was turn a blank stare to her. And she knew, without a doubt, that she was right all along.

He looked at her expecting Mae.

She turned away from his gaze, smiling weakly to everyone as she stood and left the room, intent on getting away for a while.