Prologue - Change Of Plans

I Am My Sister's Memory

Mi Hyun was crouched down on the floor, listening to her parents voices through the crack underneath the door. She knew exactly who they were talking about, since private matters she wasn't supposed to hear were always taken to the dining room. Despite that, it must have been a humorous sight, seeing a twenty-four year old girl laying on her belly, ear pressed to the opening, and a determined look on her face. The carpet was muffling things a bit, but she could hear some of the louder things her parents said.

"Young Bae? But isn't that sort of... Recycling the boy?" Her father asked. No, it was recycling a daughter.

"Don't say it like that! We have to provide him a wife. I'll be damned if we break an obligation. It will be the death of our reputations." Her mother snapped back.

Mi Hyun could only roll her eyes. Why did her mother have to fret over the stupidest things? Was reputation all she cared about? Mi Hyun snickered bitterly at the thought. She almost forgot for a second that indeed, that was all her mother cared about... Well that, and her dead daughter, Mae Hyun.

A hushed argument broke out, and Mi Hyun slid up closer to the crack, straining to hear.

"Fine... Fine..." Mr. Kim said finally loud enough for her to hear through the fluffy carpeting, no doubt shaking his head like he always did when Mrs. Kim got this way. "We can send them on a seon, but make it clear this is for them to become acquainted."

"And that they don't have a choice," Mrs. Kim finished. "They will be married. Regardless."

Great. Absolutely freaking great. She was going on a date with Mae Hyun's old fiancee, and now marrying him. She was simply a place filler in her parents eyes. Running away from home sounded pretty appealing then... Snapped from her thoughts momentarily, Mi hyun scrambled up, and sprinted down the hall when her mother's light footsteps approached the door. She pretended to be coming out of the downstairs bathroom when the dining room door swung open.

"Umma, good evening," Mi Hyun greeted.

"Mi Hyun," Mrs. Kim nodded, seeming more like she was acknowledging one of the hired help rather than her youngest daughter. She began to walk away, but then turned back briefly, "Would you... Like to go shopping tomorrow... With me? It's been so long since we spent time together."

Mrs. Kim being nice? Not a good sign. Mi Hyun knew she was probably going to break the marriage news tomorrow while they were out in public, where Mi Hyun couldn't make a scene or throw a fit.

Despite mulling over the thought of throwing herself down in the middle of a mall, and screaming and crying like a toddler, which, Mi Hyun had to admit, would be pretty funny, she gritted her teeth, and forced a smile. Nodding her head, she softly agreed, "Sure, Umma."