New neighbour

Hospital Happiness

You walked up to the front door of your new hose. You unlocked it and walked in ahead of your family. Every room was already furnished. You and Taeyeon had one room each while your three younger family members shared. Your parent’s room was next to the living room.

“We have two bathrooms!” your mother called excitedly from upstairs. You stepped out of the washhouse and into the kitchen and sat down by the table. Your father entered the room.

“How did you say you paid for all of this?” he asked for the umpteenth time.

“Double jobs. I had my savings,” you said. He nodded.

“I’ll check the backyard.” You knew he didn’t quite believe you but he didn’t have a better explanation himself, and as Taeyeon entered the room you knew that she definitely didn’t believe you. She sat down opposite of you.

“There are no savings, right?”

“Not anymore,” you said evasively.

“Quit lying to me. When is Jonghyun going to pop out of a corner?” she asked fiercely. You sighed.

“I don’t think he will.”

“Really?” Taeyeon rubbed her nose. “Sorry.” You smiled.

“I’ve got something for you.” You started digging in your bag. “Here.” You reached her the diary. Her face lit up in a smile and she eagerly accepted the book.

“I thought it was lost in the fire,” she said and flipped trough it. Then she glanced at you. “You didn’t read it, did you?”

“Of course not. You hid it for a reason,” you said in a pretend offended tone. “I know what it’s like not to have any privacy…”

“In this house, maybe we will.” Taeyeon glanced at you. “You’re sure there’s no catch with this house thing?”

“I believe in Jonghyun, I trust his word.”

 

“There’s someone at the door,” your father said. Before he could ask anyone to open it the twins were already on their way.

“I’ll do it!”

“No, I want to!” they fought while their younger sister happily ran behind them. you heard them open the door and the kids’ reactions were unexpected. Their excitement made you curious and you got up and walked out I the hallway.

“Who is it?” you asked curiously.

“I was just thinking I should welcome our new neighbours.”

 

Gikwang reached you the gift he had brought with him with the twin jumping and dancing around him. You just stared at him, unable to say anything. Your sister stepped up to Gikwang and took his hand.

“Thank you.” He smiled sweetly at her.

“You’re welcome.” She motioned for him to lift her up. He glanced at you. What could you do. You shrugged. Gikwang gave you a mischievous smile before turning to your sister, fast as lightning, and swung her up in the air and she laughed until she was all out of breath.

“Kids, come inside!” Taeyeon called. Gikwang put your youngest sister down and the three children reluctantly went inside. You turned around and saw Taeyeon wink at you before disappearing into the living room with the kids.

 

The silence between you and Gikwang was getting increasingly evident. You gathered all the confidence you had.
 

“I’m…”

“~~~~~, I…”

 

“Go ahead.”

“You first.”

 

“You go first.”

“No, you say.”

 

You fell silent again and the confidence had abandoned you.

“I should go inside.” You backed away and Gikwang looked down.

“I guess we’ll see each other around,” he mumbled. “I live right next door…”

“Yeah, I guess. Bye.” You went inside and closed the door. You shut your eyes and leaned your back against the closed door. A continuous tapping sound made you open your eyes, in front of you were Taeyeon, her arms crossed over her chest, her right foot tapping against the floor and an annoyed expression on her face.

“What. The. Hell. Was that!?” Her face turned into an angry grimace. “That was like, your golden opportunity!”

“I didn’t know what to say. Am I supposed to just act like everything is normal between us?” you asked.

You were supposed to confess your feelings and he was going to say he is sorry that he left you and explain that it was for your own good. You would kiss, make up. Everyone would be happy again.”

“How did you…?”

“~~~~~, come on. Who could stay asleep with a bouncing Yoseob beside her? I heard it all,” Taeyeon admitted. You groaned.

“What is it with people overhearing my conversations?”

“I didn’t want to interrupt. Just admit it that you’re happy I didn’t. Now you know the truth.”

“It makes no difference.”

“It makes all the difference in the world! You love each other, you…”

“Stop it Taeyeon!” you screamed. She looked away. You sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m going out for a while."