Asking for forgiveness

Hospital Happiness

You entered the restaurant while spying out over the big dining hall. Jonghyun was nowhere to be seen. You breathed out and turned your head facing forward.

“Looking for someone?” Jonghyun asked. His face looked like he was wearing a stone mask, not playfully lifting an eyebrow like he usually would. You bowed your neck.

“No.”

“Then let’s go eat.” Jonghyun walked ahead towards table four. You hesitantly followed him.

 

Jonghyun had already ordered for the both of you and the food came in almost at once. The meal was quiet. You felt awfully uncomfortable and tried to start a conversation.

“How was your day?”

“Fine.” Jonghyun kept on eating. That wasn’t much to build a conversation from. You continued asking.

“Anything unusual happened?”

“No.” Please Jonghyun, cooperate a little.

“Talked to Onew-ssi lately?”

“God, what’s with the interrogation?” Jonghyun glared at you. “I don’t feel like talking. I just want to eat and watch you sitting there suffering from the awkwardness!” He turned back to his food and carried on eating. You lowered your head. You didn’t like it when he was mad, and you had only yourself to blame. You put your cutlery down.

 

“I’m sorry,” you said, still with your head lowered and without looking at him.

“Empty words,” Jonghyun muttered. You looked at him with a nearly desperate look.

“I really mean it. I’m very sorry.”

“About what?”

“About yesterday. It was wrong of me to say such stupid things, I don’t even now why I did it.” You mumbled that last part. “Forgive me?”

“If you’re really sorry, prove it. I want to see you regret it.” Jonghyun said looking you right in the eyes. Your eyes widened slightly in surprise.

“How?”

“Just show it to me,” he said. He kept looking at you and you could feel the pressure build up inside you. What were you supposed to do? You weren’t good with this sort of things. His gaze almost burned your eyes and you could actually feel them heat up.

“I don’t know how to…” A silent tear rolled down your cheek and dripped from your chin into your lap. Both you and Jonghyun got a shocked expression on your faces. You quickly wiped away the traces of the tear from your cheek. This was the second time you cried in front of someone in a very short period of time, it wasn’t like you. Another tear dropped down in your lap.

“W-what are you crying for?” Jonghyun looked both worried and uncomfortable. You didn’t even know yourself. You wiped away another persistent tear and forced the other ones back. You didn’t give an answer to his question, mostly because you didn’t have a good one. The two of you sat there looking at each other, until Jonghyun smiled a warm smile at you. You got confused.

“Why are you smiling? You’re supposed to be mad, at me.”

“Not anymore. You’re forgiven.” Jonghyun stood up, put some money on the table and started to walk. Still sitting on your chair you reached out a hand and grabbed his arm, forcing him to stop. He looked down at you, still with that smile on his face.

“Why?”

“No one has ever cried for me.” With those words Jonghyun gently broke free from your grasp and left.