Demonic sister

Hospital Happiness

You looked at Taeyeon’s terrified face without saying anything. Yoseob looked from your face to Taeyeon’s scared expression and back at you again.

“~~~~~ noona, you’re scaring me. Did something happen?” he asked. You barely noticed him.

“You know, Taeyeon, that hospital bill never showed up. Do you have any idea what happened to it?” you asked in a “casual” tone. Taeyeon didn’t reply. “I’m starting to think that someone has already paid it. Was it you? Where did you get the money from? Was it the salary as a cleaner that made it able for you to pay the bill? No, that couldn’t be enough. Then maybe, the school fee you got back when you dropped out of high school?” You spit out the last sentence.

“~~~~~, I-I…” Taeyeon stuttered, her eyes b with tears. You continued while slowly walking towards her.

“Where’s the rest of the money Taeyeon?” And what are you doing during your daytime? Maybe you’re busy spending all the money you got back, that our parent’s worked extremely hard to collect.” You made a slight pause. “Answer me!”

“~~~~~, stop it!” Yoseob stood up. He grabbed your shoulders. “What has gotten into you? Can’t you hear yourself? Don’t you see that she has done it for you? For you and the rest of your family. She has sacrificed so much. By giving up her education she has sacrificed both her youth and her future. She’ll never be able to live her high school years like every other teenager. She gave it up to work two jobs a day so that your family would be better off. And with no education, what future will she have? She has done all this for you, and you dare to come here and accuse her for throwing away the money. You of all people, ~~~~~, should know that Taeyeon would never do such a thing. Don’t you know your own sister!?”

“How can she just give up her future like that!?” you blurted.

“Because she loves you!”

 

You collapsed under Yoseob’s hands. He eased your fall and you landed softly on your knees with your face buried in your palms. You tried breathing calm deep breaths but they only seemed to get stuck in your throat. You moved your hands to your hair and stared hard on the floor before determinately puffing your cheeks and blowing out the air before standing up. You looked at Taeyeon. She was crying. You clenched your fists and looked away.

“I’m sorry Taeyeon. Make sure you get some rest and get better so we can get you out of here along with appa.” You turned around and walked out.

 

Out in the corridor you leaned against the wall and slid to the floor. Gikwang sat down beside you.

“Was I too hard on her?” you asked while staring into the opposite wall. I was overreacting…

“She knows you’re just worried about her. That you didn’t mean everything you said.

“What’s wrong with me!?” You slammed your fist on the floor. “Why couldn’t I be supportive or caring or… or whatever she could use in a time like this? Why did I go on like a demonic, I don’t know, Terminator?”

“You wouldn’t get upset if you didn’t care. Taeyeon knows you only meant well,” Gikwang said in a calm voice. Meant well? Who could possibly find anything positive in the cascade of words you had thrown in Taeyeon’s face? You couldn’t even do it yourself.

“I’m a terrible sister.” You placed your clenched fists in your lap keeping your gaze on them. Gikwang’s right hand made its way to your left fist and forced it open.

“No, you’re not.” He intertwined his fingers with yours. “You’re probably one of the best in the world. You’re sharing first place with Taeyeon. I know how much you have done for your sister and your family. How hard you have worked all these years your father has been in the hospital. Now Taeyeon wants to be like you. The best sisters in the world.”

 

You sat quiet next to each other. Gikwang’s words made you feel a little better.

“That’s one interesting wall you have there.” Yoseob came out of the room and lay flat on his stomach in front of you. You gave him an guilty smile.

“Yeah, it’s the wall of shame…” you said. “Is she okay?”

“Yeah she’s fine.” Yoseob smiled widely. “I told her to get some sleep while I talk to you and make sure the demon has left your body.”

“Was I really that bad?” you asked in a tormented voice.

“Pretty much.”

“Yoseob!” Gikwang snapped.

“What? Yoseob rolled over onto his back and put his hands behind his neck. “Just telling the truth. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing though, Taeyeon needed to hear that you care. And actually I think she feels a bit relieved. I know how hard it has been for her to keep this a secret from you.”

“You knew?” you asked surprised.

“Mm. She made me keep it a secret. She literally begged me not to tell you, or anyone else, but you in particular. She didn’t want people to get worried.” Yoseob sighed. “If she could choose she would be invisible to the world. The only thing proving her existence are all the things she does for everyone else to be happy.”

 

You looked pensively at Yoseob. He knew, for real. When had they gotten to know each other so well? You must be missing something here…