When you're at the bottom, there's always someone to lift you up

Hospital Happiness

“~~~~~!” The sound of Yoona’s voice made you sap out of your slumber.

“I’m awake!” you called out. The teacher gave you a scary look. No more sleeping in class, you told yourself.

 

“What did you do last night? Were you out?” Yoona put her hands on her hips.

“No.” You let out a yawn. “Well yes, but I was working. That Jonghyun guy came back again and he decided to drag me all over town.”

“He must really be into you. Is he coming back next week?” Hyoyeon asked excitedly.

“I don’t know…”

“Let’s hope not. You’re exhausted! You have to stop this. You have to take care of yourself!” Yoona exclaimed. You closed your locker.

“I am taking care of myself.”

“Not good enough. Why don’t you let us help you?” Yoona gave you a pleading look.

“You know we could really help out, it wouldn’t be any trouble at all,” Hyoyeon filled in.

“I don’t need your help. I’ll be just fine. Now, if you excuse me, I’m going to the hospital.

 

“He’s much better. If things stay this way he might be able to go home in a few days,” the nurse said with a smile. You didn’t return the smile.

“But will he stay well, or will the symptoms return?”

“Unfortunately, the chances that he will stay in such a good condition are very small, unless we find the right medication for him. But since we don’t know exactly what’s his illness that would be rather difficult.

“Thank you.” You left the nurse and walked back into your father’s room. No hopes left. “Appa, how are you feeling?”

“~~~~~, how lovely to see you.  I’m much better, thank you.” Your father was sitting in his bed.

“The nurse told me you’d be able to go home soon,” you smiled.

“Yes, just a few days to check that I’m stable. Then I can come back home.” Your father smiled back at you. A nurse came in and said that it was time for a check-up. You stood up.

“I’ll be back again, and I’ll take you home,” you said. You kissed your father’s forehead before heading out of the room.

 

On your way out you decided to go by the waiting room, just to have a look. There was no one there. You felt disappointed. It would’ve been nice to have someone to talk to. You hesitated a few seconds outside the doors to the waiting area. You didn’t feel like going home before work. You walked into the room and sat down in on of the tiny chairs and took out your homework. It was a bit uncomfortable with the small children’s furniture, but it was alright. At least you had something occupy your mind with. You didn’t get much time ti work though…

 

“~~~~~?” You looked up at the sound of Gikwang’s voice. “Why are you sitting here? Are you okay?”

“I’ve just been visiting my father. He’s a lot better. He might be home soon.”

“Oh, I’m glad to hear that.” Gikwang smiled at you and sat down in one of the minimal chairs next to you. He looked ridiculous, but you didn’t feel like laughing at him. Gikwang let his smile drop. “Aren’t you happy?”

Good things never last. He will just get sick again.” You held in the tears that threatened to spill over. You couldn’t allow yourself to let Gikwang see you cry, not more than once.

“Then you have to do the best with the time that he has been given. I think he’s really happy that he is better, that he can come home and see his family. And who knows, maybe you have more time than you expect. Don’t always think the worst.” Gikwang smiled. He started to reach his hand out, but stopped halfway and pulled it back. You didn’t notice that though. You glanced at him. He was right. Why be sad about something that might happen in the future when you could be happy about right now? If Yoseob could do it, then you could do it too.

“You’re right.” You smiled. “Is Yoseob here? Can he take a visitor?”

“Umm… he’s being analyzed right now. We can wait if you want.”

“No that’s fine. I have to go work. But please tell him I said hi.” You stood up and flexed your back before swinging the backpack upon your back. Gikwang also stood up and the two of you walked out of the room.

 

It would’ve been nice to talk to Gikwang a bit more, but you had to go.

“ I guess I’ll see you.” You smiled and turned around to leave.

“~~~~~!” You turned back to Gikwang.

“Yes?”

“Well, I was just wondering if you… would you… if we might... what are you doing this weekend?” Gikwang looked everywhere but at you. What was he implying? Why so nervous? Your heartbeat increased.

“Nothing in particular, except working. Why?”

“I thought, maybe it’s time for us to meet somewhere outside this hospital. It doesn’t have to be anything special. Just hanging out… have some dinner, watch a movie…” Gikwang’s voice trailed off and he glanced at you while awkwardly scratching the back of his head. Was he asking you out on a DATE!? You blushed violently. You felt very flattered.

“I don’t know about dinner…” you looked at Gikwang. “… but I could agree to lunch. I work night this weekend,” you added apologetically. Gikwang’s face lit up in a happy smile.

“So it’s settled… I’ll call you.” He turned around and jogged away from you. You smiled happily. Suddenly everything didn’t feel as bad anymore…